Clayton Girl Finally Getting New Heart, Lungs today at Stanford Hospital

June 14, 2014 10:36 am · 67 comments

heart_lungs_katie_grace

Katie-Grace Groebner, the little girl from Clayton who suffers from a rare condition called Pulmonary Hypertension, is at Stanford Hospital today getting ready for a heart & lung transplant.

Katie-Grace has been on the transplant list for several years, and today, she finally got the call.

Katie-Grace’s sister posted the following message on facebook….

In case everyone hasn’t heard I just wanted to let you know that at three o’clock this morning we got the call that Katie Grace needs to go in for her transplant. We are currently at Stanford and the doctors are prepping her right now. Please pray for my baby sister an my family we are all going through a lot right now so please please pray!

Another message was posted by a family member….

Katie Grace is now at Stanford Hospital preparing for surgery. A new Heart & Lung Transplant has been scheduled for 10:30am this Saturday morning. The Groebner family asks for your prayers and positive thoughts be sent their way as well as to the courageous family who lost their child, and lovingly chose to donate their precious gift to Katie Grace so that she could be blessed with a full life. I’m sure Katie Grace would love to hear everyone playing her favorite song today “A Little Bit Longer” by the Jonas Brothers. Love and prayers going out to all families, friends and the entire Community that have been following and personally touched by Katie’s heroic journey! Thanks to everyone for your generous love and support.

Good luck to Katie-Grace and the Groebner family, our thoughts & prayers are with you.

{ 67 comments }

1 Dorothy June 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Good luck, best wishes.

2 Jodie June 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Prayers are coming your way for the surgery to go well and for the surgery team.

3 Kalyn June 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Will keep Katie-Grace and her family in my thoughts and prayers that she has a speedy recovery.

Will also pray for the family that is grieving the loss of their family member. In their grief, they were thoughtful enough to donate their child’s organs, giving hope to at least one family, if not many more.

Stresses the importance of not only being an organ donor, but talking to your family so that they know your wishes.

4 TinFoiler June 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I second the comment from Jodie:

5 WOW...This is HUGE news June 14, 2014 at 11:01 AM

The whole concept of such an operation is beyond my imagination..Best of Luck to All.

6 ANNONeeemoose June 14, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Prayers to her family and friends…. and to the donor who I hope will find some comfort in knowing little Katie Grace will have a second chance at a full life.

7 kax June 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM

all good wishes and blessings on you, Katie-Grace…..you are getting a new lease on life….

8 Michelle June 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Many prayers and good luck to you!

9 anonymous June 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Healing thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family!

10 Cathy M. June 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Rather than empty prayers why doesn’t every person reading this to sign their donor cards. Then, encourage every person you know to become organ donors.

11 Gilbert June 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Great idea Cathy about donor cards! However prayers do work and aren’t empty. Praying for all involved!

12 TinFoiler June 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Cathy M, How about we meet you half-way and do BOTH.
Whether you think prayer, or positive thoughts, positive intentions have no effect is irrelevant. If you were in this situation you would probably prefer to have people pulling for you instead of people wishing for your death.

13 Cathy C June 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Her is the link to become an organ donor or update your profile if you are already one.
Prayers lifted up for Katie Grace and family.

14 Atticus Thraxx June 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM

A prayer from The House of Thraxx. Godspeed Katie-Grace. :)

15 2BITS June 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Prayers going your way. Please keep us updated.

16 Gilbert June 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Amen @12. People never cease to amaze me on here to put a negative spin or what they think should be done. I say we honor the families wishes and pray!

17 Lois June 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Family and friends are at the hospital, and we are reading posts… They are making Katie Grace feel very special. Please use your best judgement on comments

18 Cynthia June 14, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Praying hands lifted high, from an organ doner.

19 CW June 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Prayers for a successful surgery and a quick and complete recovery!

I’ve been on the organ donor registry since I first got my driver’s license as a teen. One of my relatives died on the waiting list for a heart transplant so it’s something I feel strongly about. Hopefully in a few more years, science will be able to grow new organs in a lab so the donor registry will become obsolete.

20 Spanky Fortuna June 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM

God bless. Amen

21 Laminin Rocks! June 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Thank you Cathy C for posting that link! I’m sure the families who are in need and who’s lives have been saved are grateful for those who choose to list themselves as organ donors. Thank you Gilbert and Lois for stating the obvious and staying on topic. Katie Grace and her family will all be reading these posts. They have asked for both prayer and good thoughts so let’s please honor their request with respect.

22 Rula Masannat June 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Sending our good thoughts to the family that lost their child and grateful they are giving Katie Grace a new chance, she has been waiting for a very long time. Be strong Katie Grace!!!!

23 RD June 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Dear Katie Grace’s family,

We will keep Katie Grace and all of you in our prayers .
God bless Katie Grace.

24 Silva June 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM

What great news for Katie Grace, family & friends, everyone making such a wonderful difference in the life of a lovely child! Thanks for sharing your news, and many wishes for a blessed recovery.

25 Rebecca Nolen June 14, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Katie Grace we are all here supporting you with love, prayers, and positive support. Also sending love, respect and condolences to the family that has lost a loved one.

26 Constant Reader June 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM

My best wishes for a speedy recovery and a big thanks to the organ donor!

27 Cat Wrangler June 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM

God bless you, Katie Grace, and help you through surgery and a speedy recovery! You and your loved ones are all in our prayers.

28 Lois June 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Surgery was rescheduled for 2:00. Katie was very calm going into the OR. Should be finished in 6-7 hours. The family is very very grateful for all of your prayers and well wishes. Katie is excited to hear of people in other countries that are praying for her. She is feeling very loved. Thank you Claycord community!

29 CVCHS '17 June 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Prayers going out to her family (: Stay Strong Katie-Grace <3

30 Lori Funk June 14, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Prayers coming from upstate NY, one PH warrior to another!

31 Nancy June 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM

My prayers are with Katie and your family today <3

32 sf_citygirl June 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM

My prayers are with you Katie! My prayers also go out to a family that is in mourning as well. May God speed you all!

33 Amazing Grace for Katie Grace June 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Praying for God’s grace over Katie Grace and family. How great to have the opportunity for being rejuvenated with a new lung and heart. I am praying that the transplant will go well, and that you will receive a surge of fresh energy as they begin to start working for you!

34 Kathy Crellin June 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

God bless you Katie Grace from Minnesota. I know there are Groebners around Janesville MN. My mother Catherine grew up on Keeley farm on highway 14 east of town. I am praying for you all day long. It will be great for you to be well and strong again. I believe God, your beloved family, your donor who is with God in Heaven, your donors family and your medical team who loves you can do this.

35 Antler June 14, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Lois, thank you for your updates. This whole family and also the donor family are enduring some of most agonized hours of their lives right now. We keep watch with them as best we can, knowing that the surgeons and staff at Stanford are blessed with skills beyond our comprehension. May Katie’s status remain steady throughout the surgery, and may she recover in as much comfort as possible, quickly, and completely. Amen.

36 Julie June 14, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Praying!

37 Julie June 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

@ 21 laminin absolutely rocks!! Keeps me from falling apart :-)

38 Nancy June 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Dear Lord please keep Katie Grace in your arms and heal her Please give the nurses and doctors the wisdom they need to complete her surgery.
Please give peace to the donor family and heal the ache in there hearts.
in Jesus name I pray. Amen

39 JET June 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

My thoughts and prayers for this little girl and her family, I am sure that today is a tough day for them but I pray that she responds and her body accepts the new heart and lungs without any issues. Just incredible that they can do transplants like this!

Also – my prayers for the family and friends of the little one that passed away, may they take comfort knowing that they live on and have given the gift of life to Katie-Grace.

40 lizzie June 14, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Ditto Nancy–Amen.

Hoping all goes well. Katie Grace will be in my thoughts and prayers until she is back home!

41 Clayton Squirrel June 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM

We are all thinking of you and your family, Katie Grace!

42 Kristy June 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Katie Grace, You are a very brave and loving young lady. You have struggled for so long, yet you always think of others. Just seeing how you cut your hair short recently for “Locks of Love’ to help other children, shows your selfless heart. I am praying for YOU right now to be completely healed from your disease and that your new heart and lungs will allow you to do all the things you’ve always wanted to do. The Jr Highers at ClubC3 are cheering for you!! God bless you and the donor that is giving you another chance at life.

43 jrconcord June 14, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I’m a donor!
although my ex wife says they can’t do much with a heart made of stone and head made of wood.
Keep us posted
good luck young lady

44 michelle June 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Thoughts and prayers to you .I don’t know u but I know u are gonna get thru this love from me ..hang in there

45 blindboy June 14, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Bless the family of the young person who died to make this all possible. Everyone should make sure they are on a donor list in case something happens to us all. Best to all involved

46 Atticus Thraxx June 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I got back on Claycord hoping to see some good news. Been thinking about Katie-Grace and her struggle to survive today and all the people from the organ donor to her doctors and nurses and her family and it humbles me. Please keep us informed and if there’s anything we can do as a community other than offer good wishes please let us know.

47 Rebecca and Anessa June 14, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Prayers of comfort and healing to the donor family. There is nothing more traumatic than the loss of a child. May God hold you tight and bring you peace. You are truly brave and unselfish people.

48 Lois June 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Transplant team member just came in to say surgery is going as planned, organs fit, will be done in a couple of hours.

Words that I have played over and over in
my mind for so long…I actually heard them! It’s true it’s real!

49 Antler June 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM

…at six hours now……carefully, gently… Please start coming back to the surgical teams and your family now, Katie …… please. Amen.

50 Boneguy1 June 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Just a quick update – the organs have been placed & they are in control – God Bless this miracle!

51 Lois June 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM

For those wanting to send Katie a card you can do so at the hospitals website below. Or send them to:
Katie Grace
C/O Wullenwebers
963 Kenston Drive
Clayton, ca 94517

She will go to ICU for a few days then to a regular room for two weeks.

Thank you!

52 Susanne renner June 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Best news ever Lois! When many come together the power of prayer and hope are magical! Continuing to bless Katie and the team of doctors and nurses in these remaining few hours and the healing days to come. Blessings as well to the donor family. XO

53 Antler June 14, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Lois, thank you, please keep talking to us. Know you are still so tense and exhausted….pulling for all of you.

“The organs have taken control.” What an overwhelming blessing…..steady on, Katie!

54 Sid June 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Hugs and prayers going out to Katie Grace as well as the donor family.

55 Shasta Daisy June 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Praying.

56 Lois June 14, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Katie is in ICU. Doctors say she is doing very well. Will be brining the family in soon.

57 Monica June 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Praying for a successful recovery and for the family who lost their love one. God is faithful.

58 Laminin Rocks! June 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM

@ 46 Atticus Thraxx – You might be able to help the family by going to the site I set up for them at http//www:gofundme.com/katies-dream
The past years have been a tremendous financial burden on the family. Thank you for asking:)

59 Mama Cowell June 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all ❤️

60 sf_citygirl June 14, 2014 at 10:16 PM

So relieved that the surgery went according to plan. Love to the Groebner family!

61 mommatotwo June 14, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Prayers from the Gillmore Family. May the doctors and medical team work diligently and get Katie well again. Lots of good thoughts going out.

62 Anonymous June 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM

This is such wonderful news. God Bless you Katie Grace. You are such a brave young lady. My prayers are with you and your family and also the family of your young donor.

63 ??? June 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Praying for all involved & hugs & kisses to all!!

64 Laminin Rocks June 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM

(MAYOR… Would you please repost this so my link works..I was a bit tired from the long day and messed up the link to Katie’s Dream page…Thank You)
@ 46 Atticus Thraxx – You might be able to help the family by going to the site I set up for them at http://www.gofundme.com/katies-dream

65 Cathy June 15, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Prayers for Katie Grace and her family and the family of your young donor.
“WITH GOD, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

66 Marissa June 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Prayers are with you every day.

67 jesika June 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Kath- I just learned of the miracle that has blessed your girl when at work today! There are no words to express the happiness and relief I feel in my heart for you and of course for Katie-Grace, but from one mom to another, I am overjoyed for you. All of us at work are keeping you and your family and for sure Katie-Grace in our thoughts and prayers. You are the strongest lady I have ever met. I don’t know how you maintain the positive and happy attitude that you do and it never waivers. I admire your strength and your girls are so blessed to have you for a mom. Stay strong Katie!
xoxo Jesika