Concord Exceeding Water Reduction Target Set by Water District

June 12, 2014 · 14 comments

City of Concord public works staff recently announced that they are exceeding the Contra Costa Water District’s 15 percent target for water reduction during the drought. The City is using 37 percent less water than the historical baseline set by CCWD.

“While we are happy that we are exceeding the CCWD target, that doesn’t mean that we will stop looking for ways to conserve water,” said Justin Ezell, Public Works Director. “We know residents are trying their best to meet the target, and we will do our part to continue to look for new ways to reduce water usage.”

The City has developed a Drought Reduction Strategy, which was presented to the City Council on June 10. For many years, the City has followed responsible water management principles and practices. Some of these practices include: inefficient fixtures in public buildings are routinely replaced with efficient ones; landscape irrigation controllers are replaced with ones that automatically adjust to real-time weather data; and water wasting medians and other landscape areas are reconstructed using plantings which have lower water needs.

More recently, staff has worked to replace fixtures in City-owned building with water-smart technology, inspected lines so that water leaks are identified and repaired quickly, retrofit several medians in the downtown area to use recycled water, and stopped replanting some street medians until the drought has ended.

Residents are encouraged to report broken sprinkler heads in parks or medians by calling the Public Works Department at (925) 671-3444. All other water concerns including water waste at commercial and residential properties should be routed to the Contra Costa Water District (925) 688-8000.

The City encourages residents to visit the CCWD website, http://www.ccwater.com/, where they will find information about how to replace a lawn with drought-tolerant garden, get rebates, coupons or free items to assist them in saving water, and sign up for a free home water use survey.

For more information about the City’s Drought Reduction Strategy, contact Public Works Director Justin Ezell, (925) 671- 3231.

1 RunDogRun June 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM

If you don’t exceed your
allotment, their revenues
drop and they will raise
the rates to compensate
just like East Bay MUD has
done recently. 9+ percent.
And the NEVER lower them,
again.

2 Noj June 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I don’t get it. CCWD gets it’s water from the Delta. At that CCWD inlet from the river, the river is a mile wide, even in August. Does CCWD have an allotment as to how much water they siphon out of Delta waters? I mean, there is no way the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers are going to dry up, and so why the rationing? I just got back from San Luis Obispo county and there are towns down there who have their water source at the Santa Rosa river, which will be dry in August. I can see the rationing in San Luis Obispo county, but why here? What am I missing?

3 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Not a surprise. bathing never was a high priority for the typical concordian.

4 Nice Nancy June 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Only 15%??? The drought is a LOT worse then they are reporting in the media.The state should ban the watering of lawns. Lawns are a waste. Yes they are pretty, but food gardens should be the norm. We especially need stop restrict water access to the Huge estates of the rich and famous in Southern California. (Pools, gardens)

5 Incognito June 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I live in Concord and have been asked by Contra Costa Water District to voluntarily reduce water usage by 15 percent.

Who else is currently being asked to reduce their water usage voluntarily by a certain percentage? I ask because I had lunch last week with someone who owns a house in Walnut Creek and is under EBMUD and they mentioned they have not been asked to reduce water usage.

Also, I have to wonder and ask about golf courses, such as the one in Rossmoor, which I just saw last night, what water resources are they using? Recycled? Their greens are certainly green. Just wondering if these types of establishments are cutting back…. meanwhile I am seeing neighborhoods letting their lawns go brown.

6 Mom to Four June 12, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I live in Walnut Creek, we have been asked to reduce by 20%. That’s OK, BUT we already started cutting back in the Winter, when we heard there would be another drought year. Here are some ideas of how we save:
1.Use a bucket in the shower to catch the cold water and run-off.
2. I personally take two minute showers.
3. We have wood chips not a lawn,.
4. Use well water for the plants. (not drinkable)
5. Fill a dish pan with soap & water and soak dishes instead of rinsing.
6. Use paper plates and cups
7. Join a community pool and shower there.

7 SKS June 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

And because we”re doing sooo well at conservation, CCWD will undoubtedly raise rates due to a lack of revenue because we’re conserving too much.

Bend over, here it comes anyways.

8 WC June 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I bought a dual flush low use toilet, high efficiency washer, low flow shower heads, a hot water recycle system (so I don’t have to run water to wait until it’s hot). I invested a bunch of money in water saving stuff. What have the cities done, what has the state done….. Nothing.

9 The Realist June 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM

“What am I missing?”

Overpopulation in Southern California (well any population in a desert, really), Politics and big Corporate Agri-business lobby.

CCWD, quit sending our water to SoCal and punishing and charging us for it!!!

A great read, and the more relevant parts are: The State Water Project and The Delta sections.

10 The Realist June 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM

For those not inclined to click the link:
“The Delta pumps provide drinking water to more than 20 million people; and water agencies in central and southern California are dependent upon it, both directly and indirectly.”
THAT’S 50% of the population of California!!!
They got nuclear power plants in SoCal, tell your representatives to tax their residents to build a desalination plant (power intensive) instead of penalizing us.

11 RunDogRun June 12, 2014 at 7:27 PM

In the 1970s drought, ’77 I
believe, we instituted a number
of water conservation efforts
that we continued until the
1990s drought when we had
to let the lawn die to meet the
requirements. At that time, our
conservation efforts were
rewarded with higher rates.
Still, we kept it up. I take a
bath in three inches of water
to conserve and have since
the 90s. I just recently took
the bricks out of the toilet
tanks. I’m done! If I cut back
anymore, I’ll have to stop
bathing entirely. It seems
to me like the big users,
golf courses, city fountains,
city landscape and parks, etc.,
should be the major sources
of saving efforts — mandatory
and penalized if noncompliant.

12 Mr.Clean June 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Agree with #7 Just like bridge toll etc.etc. etc.The more you conserve the less revenue they receive so they raise the rate,They could care less about conservation.

13 Duck June 13, 2014 at 1:36 AM

RunDogRun,
We have done the same things you have mentioned above.
So in preparation for mandatory cutbacks we have started to use more water as well……….. because if they cut us back from what we were previously using , there is no way we could conserve and additional 20 -25 %.
It kills me because I am a water wasting freak………..they should go by neighborhood percentage of usage………….Not household.
Because we have been saving water for years , and can’t see how we could save an additional 20+% or more.
Without basic our necessities……….I guess we could buy composting toilets…………. NO THANK YOU !
( They stink almost as much as this States politics.)
This State sucks / wastes water horribly !
God help all of us !

14 Old Timer June 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I still see a lot of wet streets early in the morning on the way to work. Its overflow from the median water system. Maybe they should change over to a drip system. And it messes up my nice clean car lol.