High Smog Prediction Prompts “Spare the Air” Alert for Sunday

June 7, 2014 14:51 pm · 20 comments

High area temperatures have prompted a Spare the Air alert for Sunday by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District.

The alerts are issued when weather forecasts indicate there will be high levels of smog in the air.

Residents are asked to drive less during summer Spare the Air days by carpooling, taking public transportation, bicycling or walking to their destinations.

Smog can cause throat irritation, congestion, chest pain, asthma, inflame the lungs and make existing lung conditions worse. Young children, seniors and those with respiratory and heart conditions are particularly at risk to the effects of smog.

Sunday’s Spare the Air alert is the fourth issued in the summer season. Three were issued on consecutive days during a heat wave last month.

{ 20 comments }

1 SKS June 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Screw you BAAQMD.

We have an outdoor BBQ party planned tomorrow with about 60 family and guests. The meats have been marinating for 24 hours already. Like hell we’re gonna cancel it… you can kiss my white collar, chair waxing, keyboard typing ass.

2 @SKS June 7, 2014 at 4:09 PM

So have your darn party.

Do you think it’s the BAAQMD that is going to suffer? Doubtful. More like the little girl or old person in your neighborhood who has asthma or trouble breathing.

3 Vindex June 7, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Coming for your cars next. Enviro-fascists

4 Glad I am out of town right now...... June 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM

57 degrees here with a steady wind from the west at 12 mph. Supposed to be like this all week.

It’s all about the choices people make. I made mine.

5 Bob the Repairman June 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM

They have had nothing to do so they decided on Sunday.
Do they get double time for Sunday work?

6 funny man June 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM

There’s like a 20 mph wind blowing here. 15 forecated for tomorrow.
I declare my part of Concord a dont-have-to-spare-the-air day tomorrow.
What i dont get from reading there website, if one are is going to have bad air, they declare a bay are wide STA day. Umm okay, why not just ban it by region. Im pretty sure SF or SJ isnt effecting me. If anything my bad wind blows towards the valley.
WE NEED MORE PRIUSES! /s

7 anon June 7, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I doubt that anyone would change their driving habits because of the spare the air day.

8 Dorothy June 7, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Been able to see the smog in the air for days already. Did the computers just now notice it? Sorry but I have to do some driving around tomorrow regardless.

9 @SKS June 7, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I’m pretty sure you’re allowed to have a fire for cooking.

10 ClayDen June 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM

@4
It’s 55 degrees and 10 mph from WNW where I’m sitting right now, with a nice sunset.

11 Antler June 7, 2014 at 10:54 PM

No one is saying you cannot barbecue food. They do suggest that you not use petroleum products to “hot start” charcoal. ……though why anyone would want to grill outdoors in 100° weather escapes me. At that temperature, your “nice breezes” will feel about as refreshing as suddenly opening an oven door!

12 Antler June 8, 2014 at 1:33 AM

ClayDen, did you not tell us previously that you live in Clayton? Are you in a part rather high up off the valley floor? The reason I ask is because here in Concord, at our home not too far from the Bailey Road/Concord Boulevard intersection (drag race starting gate), we have an outdoor thermometer which is in shade all day long. It is about 1:30am now, but the temperature has only dropped to 68°. That is so very different from what you reported (at your home?) over three hours ago. I envy you!

13 Pedalin' Pinhead June 8, 2014 at 6:50 AM

Antler, we often grill on the hotter days because we can’t bear to heat up the house any more. Plus, the grill’s already preheated so it uses less propane. BBQing on hot days is the green choice!

Sfunny how the BAAQMD says don’t drive ride your bike, don’t ride your bike it’s too unhealthy. It’s a catch 22 not of their making, but it still sound ridiculous to have a government agency tasked with making such silly pronouncements. I’m taking a long ride today because that’s what I do, but I feel for those that are more sensitive to air quality.

Btw if you like using lighter fluid or “match start” charcoal briquettes, you are a goon and have zero taste buds. That stuff does NOT “safely burn off”. It ruins the food by infusing it with a nice brake fluidy tang. You might as well cook your hot dogs at your car’s tail pipe. Even after the coals have burned way down it still toxifies marshmallows. Go to the hardware store and buy a charcoal chimney. Once you get the hang of it it’s pretty easy, you’ll never have to spend another dime starting your coals, and your steaks won’t taste like you marinated them in Techroline by Chevron.

14 Bob the Repairman June 8, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Grilling outdoors reduces the heat in the house therefore the air conditioner doesn’t need to be turned on thus saving energy. Very simple!!

15 SKS June 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM

We’re grilling with charcoal. Party is on as scheduled.

And to the asthma sufferers, stay indoors. Healthy/unafflicted people have rights and privileges too.

16 jrconcord June 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I’m Grillin my tri tip over chunks of pecan wood this afternoon.

17 Aspirin June 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Much to do about nothing. Barbeque all you want, it won’t matter. Just be sure to kill the animal before you barbeque it. Your guests will be put off by the screaming.

18 Silva June 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM

#13, yes! The charcoal chimney is a marvel. Uses 1 newspaper sheet crumpled underneath to start a load of briquette, charcoal, & whatever. I like to use 2 in the weber. The only time I breathe the intoxicating fumes of charcoal lighting fluid is when my neighbor fires up. His wife died from cancer and I know why!

19 vindex June 8, 2014 at 2:17 PM

@silva
The mans wife died of cancer and you make a comment like that. I feel really sorry for you

20 Silva June 8, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Thanks vindex, I needed that.