Inmate from Contra Costa County Suspected in Prison Stabbing in NorCal

June 6, 2014 · 23 comments

A Contra Costa County man who is an inmate at High Desert State Prison in Susanville is being investigated for attempted homicide of another inmate on Thursday, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Calvin Lee Parrack, 37, who previously lived in Concord and Richmond, is one of two inmates suspected of stabbing a third with an inmate-manufactured weapon just before 1:30 p.m. in a maximum-security facility of the prison, according to prison spokesman Andy Beck.

The victim fell to the ground, and the assailants continued to attack him even after prison staff ordered them to stop, Beck said.

To stop the attack, staff discharged one round of a Mini-14 rifle, injuring suspect William Robert Dye, 45, of Butte County, in the abdomen, Beck said.

Dye and the victim were flown to a hospital in Reno, Nevada, for treatment, Beck said. Prison officials didn’t have details on their condition this morning.

Parrack is serving an 18-year sentence for attempted second-degree murder, and Dye is serving life with the possibility of parole for attempted second-degree murder, Beck said.

No prison staff were injured in the incident, Beck said.

Inmate programs have been suspended in the facility where the attack occurred until officials have completed their investigation, Beck said.

The findings from the investigation will be passed along to the Lassen County District Attorney’s office, Beck said.

1 NRA #1 fan and member June 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Prison politics at work here. We need to build MORE prisons and lock away anyone with mental health issues.

Guns don’t kill PEOPLE kill.

2 PC June 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Too bad that losers don’t just self-destruct after trying to kill others! Of course every liberal knows these guys can be rehabilitated.

3 Northern California June 6, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Just to be clear, no one from NorCal calls it “NorCal.”

4 bunny June 7, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Imagine that. Someone from Concord involved in such mayhem. Seven lovely people were arrested at The Shamrock today. Don’t know what for but it’s about time. People using serious drugs make it very difficult to live.

5 bunny June 7, 2014 at 12:52 AM

My sister said to me what I have been thinking lately. If all these horrendous slaughters continue, we will all be forced to carry guns. Sounds crazy but unless you drive a tank or have a bodyguard you could be victimized anywhere in supposedly safe surroundings. These things used to happen in tough neighborhoods. If you were fortunate not to live in a tough place, you were relatively safe. No more. I don’t want to see us all be forced to live like that. I grew up in New York being fortunate enough to be able to move when virtually all the working class neighborhoods got so bad we couldn’t stay in them. This is one of the reasons i”m leaving Concord and California .It was so wonderful 45 years ago when I moved here. It surely is not like that in the part of Concord I live in. It was pretty good when I moved here almost 24 years ago. It’s a nosebleed now. I guessthat’sgood for Real Estate Sales! Like Nancy said to Ronnie “we do the best we can.”

6 bunny June 7, 2014 at 12:58 AM

PC: Not this moderate Democrat. When people do things this heinous, it’s time to lock them up humanely and protect the rest of us.Some of the people in my neighborhood are homeless drug addicts who have no intention of changing their ways. They do not respect the way the rest of us live.What ever they need, they get any way they can. What a denegration of the soul!

7 Dr. Jellyfinger® June 7, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Oh my goodness! I hope nobody “nice” got hurt.

8 Sharon June 7, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Story we dont need or care to hear about. This happens every day all day in prison. Is this the Claycord Prison News. Pssssh.

9 Be glad June 7, 2014 at 5:49 AM

“NRA FAN”, I don’t know you. Your statement
has got to be the most hateful and uninformed
of your many ridiculous comments.

10 Atticus Thraxx June 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM

#5 it’s been recently pointed out to me that NRA is not an actual human. It’s some sub-species called Homo Trollus. I propose genocide by neglect.

11 slagheap June 7, 2014 at 9:49 AM

@ Be glad
sadly, that’s that’s one of #1 fan’s milder bits of ludicrous, inane, commentary.

12 Anon June 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

NRA Fan… You should be locked up. From many of your posts it is obvious that you are a few bricks shy of a load.

13 PH Dad June 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Sounds like the guard needs to go to the range more often…

14 'Frisco June 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM

@3 So true. I’ve heard southerners self-describe as being from “SoCal”, but that’s their vulgar prerogative. Same with “Cali”.

15 ANON June 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

“Sounds like the guard needs to go to the range more often…”

The inmates do not stand still..also they get warnings before the shots are fired..then a round into the ground next to them..then they hit the perp–there are rules..even for the inmates to be shot

16 Speaking of Worthless Maggots.... June 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM

anybody heard from David Rosen lately…???

17 The Theorist June 7, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Given his previous criminal history and less than spectacular parenting, I predict he will have run- ins with the police shortly after his release from juvie. Then while serving time in county, he will be shived properly and get his just rewards. Scumbag extraordinaire!

18 bunny June 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Unfortunately, someone nice often gets hurt. It;s gotten old. Sad that I won’t have a handgun to protect me in N.Y.

19 @Sharon #8 June 8, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Please feel free to skip over the stories you’re not interested in, or start your own blog. Until then, please stop speaking for everybody here with regards to what we do or don’t want to read. Thanks.

Mayor,
From now on, please be sure to consult Sharon before running a story to be sure it’s newsworthy. Thanks.

20 Gus June 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Anyone else notice the trend toward what I would call “the witch hunt of the mentally ill.” In the old days the mentally ill were rounded up locked in cages and poked with sticks, even put on display for people willing to pay a penny to watch them be crazy. That was about a hundred years ago.

Now our society is tending once again toward rounding up the “different” and locking them away. Bunny, NRA the terror you must be living under in order to write your posts I’m afraid put you in the “different” category.

How ill does one have to be to qualify for “special treatment.” Are people dealing with depression likely to tell anyone if they think it will land them a lifetime prison sentence. Will kids with autism, or Aspergers be likely to get treatment if the parents think the neighbors are going to show up with torches and shackles?

Do you think the media hype + your attitude will = your kids picking on disabled kids at school. Do you think that will make them more or less likely to be part of society? Seems like most of the shooters in the news were people with mental health issues that your kids enjoyed “poking with a stick.”

21 bunny June 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Bunny won’t be in the that group. I guess you don’t understand what it’s like to live next door to people who ” do business” night and day. The people who behave this way breaking into empty apartments and parked cars don’t describe me. I’m retired and worked for what I have. These people don’t have that in their plans. We will be getting security soon and billing the owners who allow this. These owners don’t live here so they think it’s ok. I guess. I’ll also be moving to a place that doesn’t put up with this behavior. We’re getting cameras, too. Helps in other places.So do guns. The mentally ill have rights; How about the rest of us.

22 tj June 15, 2014 at 8:34 PM

well i know cal and i would say to look in to the guy that got hit most like to find he is a sex offender so go cal go

23 tj June 15, 2014 at 8:39 PM

and i be leave if u look in to it his case was a gun went off over a hair triger what killer drives the person to hospital to get 18 yr