Clayton Police Dept. to Hire Three New Officers, Two Sergeants After Four Employees Leave to Work for Larger Law Enforcement Agencies

June 6, 2014 8:00 am · 47 comments

The Clayton Police Department will soon have a few more officers on the streets of Clayton, according to Police Chief Chris Thorsen.

Chief Thorsen said the Department recently experienced the loss of several officers over the last few months. Four left to work at other local law enforcement agencies to further their careers, obtain new opportunities not available in a small police department (e.g. detective; SWAT; K-9, etc.), in addition to more pay.

Thorsen said one Officer has been out on work injury for an extended period of time, and this has left them with five working officers out of an authorized strength of ten.

We have hired three officers to replace those who left. Our most recent hire is scheduled to begin his career in Clayton on June 16. The remaining two vacancies are at the Sergeant rank, and we are holding a promotional exam later this month and hope to have the positions filled shortly thereafter“, Thorsen said.

We have hired staff to fill all our police officer vacancies, they are in various stages of their training program. Typically, the field training for a police officer is 12 weeks in length. I expect the first of our new officers will complete the training program in the end of July or early August“, Thorsen said.

Thorsen said they have also discussed the possibility of having the Concord Police Department staff all or part of the graveyard patrol function until they get back up to full field deployment.

1 Anonymous June 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Abysmal pay.

2 Mr. Pink June 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Did they indicate which officers were leaving?

3 CPD watcher June 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Until the city decides to pay a competitive wage to police officers Clayton will be nothing more than a stepping stone.
Who wouldn’t go to a neighboring department for $40,000 or more per year plus better benefits? The council would rather put money into a raise for the city manager and pet projects.

4 anon June 6, 2014 at 10:17 AM

yes, I heard the pay is a bad situation.
That’s just great. But there seem to be many on claycord that feel they’d do a better job.
I wonder if Figo is back on force yet? Figo’s the man! or dog!. Well, theyre all the dog then. Did i mention i met Rocco? His owner was taking him for a walk and i asked if i could see him, Rocco was all excited, but his handler said ‘no’. Did i mention what Rocco said? When he walked away i heard him say ‘stupidhead’ under his breath. I’ll never forget it.

5 Wildcat June 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Probably got bored to death.

6 Tree Farm June 6, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Funny. A 3 years ago (when my POST certificate was still current) they never even bothered ACKNOWLEDGING receipt of my application. Some of the local police departments around here just make you go “Huh?”

7 KenInConcord June 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM

12 weeks of training for Clayton.

I could wrap it up pretty fast .
1.) People speed here and here
2.) the Drunks come from there.
3.) young kids go to school there.
4.) older kids go to school over there
5.) Highschool, not our problem
6.) ya get pizza there.
7.) ya get burgers there
8.) in summer you listen to music there
9.) you get your mail over there
10.) you play golf up there
11.) a big mountain is on you right
12.) smaller hills to your left
13.) That cop car is usually empty
14.) in the morning watch out for trucks

Welcome to Clayton!!!

8 Eric June 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I wish I knew when they were hiring, I would happily work for Clayton PD.

9 @Tree Farm June 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM

“(When my POST was current)……” So I’m guessing you never got hired anywhere. So it’s probably not the agencies that have the problem, don’t you think?

10 Spotlight is on June 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Now the citizens will finally see what tyrants the council is. They value one employee, and that’s the City Manager. They don’t care about anyone else. That’s why they’ve lost so many employees so quickly. And not just the cops, City Hall is full of newbies too. There is no sense of loyalty from the top. Time to vote them out while you still have a city…..

11 Clayton family June 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM

This is just crazy?? Living in Our small community of Clayton I’m grateful for our Police dept! To think that we pay the lowest salaries is disgusting!! The city council should be ashamed! Now we are down officers that know are community and left with a strained police dept.?

12 Concerned Citizen June 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I so agree with #3, CPD watcher! I need to add my imput.
The officers the city lost, left not because they wanted to, they had to, in order to get a decent wage from another department, to support their families. None wanted to leave, but were forced out by incredibly low pay. Fact: Clayton P.D. are the lowest paid Police Dept. In the area. The going joke is that the police don’t do anything here. Unbelievable that people could even make that joke. The whole reason Clayton is the safe city it is, with such a low crime rate is because of the dedication of the officers who have kept our city of 12,000 safe. Nobody seems interested in acknowledging that fact. The reason we are as crime free as we are, and the only reason, is because of the officers, on duty who are alert and able to think ahead and be as watchful as they are while out on patrol, daytime, and especially during the time we are all asleep. I wonder just how many crimes were stopped, before they got a chance to happen because of the constant patroling of our city by these officers who have been so short staffed, especially at night, for a very long time.
I have no ties to anything except to say that I have lived here for 40 years and am an active member of this community and love my city and appreciate the service of officers who had to leave in order to survive in this economy. each held on as long as they could.
Lastly, our city manager, Gary Napper received a $20,000 plus raise this year, while police officers finally got a 1% raise….. Did you know that Clayton P.D. Is still the lowest paid force by far, in the area? Our city has 5 million dollars in reserve. No city keeps that amount of money in their cash drawer, none. …. We are not a poor city by far, and we all know it. this is all a matter of record.
I have no ties to anything political. I am a retired Marine and police lieutenant who loves this town. My wife and I have raised our children here and respect the idea of fair pay for all who protect us. No matter how large or small a town is, crime is crime and can happen anywhere at any moment.
Finally, new officers are being hired and trained by the few exceptional officers who have been able to hang on. Come on Clayton, rally around our P.D. and attend the next council meeting and support giving our officers the overdue raises that will bring them up to every other agency in the Bay Area . They are putting their lives on the line these days by simply putting the uniform on and getting in their patrol cars…… and we all know that.
Appreciate your reading this.

13 Another concerned citizen June 6, 2014 at 11:16 PM

@concerned citizen, are those stats correct? If so, it seems the city council has some explaining to do. Instead of working overtime on the CVCHS issues and trying to save Dave Linzey’s job, they should’ve been working harder to keep our officers employed in Clayton!

I’d love to know what the Clayton City Council members were thinking when they allowed this to happen…

14 Clayton family June 6, 2014 at 11:24 PM

@concerned citizen!
Thank you for informing me!!! I would love to share your comment on my fb page to get more Clayton families informed!

15 Dr. Jellyfinger® June 7, 2014 at 1:25 AM

@ concerned citizen _ I was born in this county & lived here all my life (the past 17 years in Clayton). The Clayton Police Dept. has always been all over it. They are on top of the situation. Clayton isn’t as easy as it looks…. not nearly as challenging as Concord, but they haven’t let it get that way either. Plus they’ve never given me a ticket…. not like those traffic Nazi’s in Walnut Creek. In conclusion, I’d just like to say Clayton P.D. is the best in the county…. and if they ever have cause to pull over a light green colored muscle car from the late 60’s, well…. let’s give the guy a break.

16 Carnac the Magnificent June 7, 2014 at 2:19 AM

This is the reason why central Contra Costa County should be a Metropolitan Police Department similar to Las Vegas Metro.

The cost would go down due to economy of scale (larger bargaining unit for health care, you cut a ton of middle and upper management- no more Chiefs salary for every city and fewer captains and lieutenants, fewer support staff like dispatcher, clerks, fewer mechanics to work on cars etc, fewer building to maintain, you have a larger pool of resources to draw from when emergencies happen, no competition for salaries or benefit. Better prices for equipment) In short a more efficient organization because one person, the Sheriff who has a fixed salary and is elected directly by the people, is running the show.

The mayor from each city in central county could form an advisory board to address their concerns to the Sheriff directly concerning public safety. Each city pays based on the amount of police services used.

As it stand now, the average citizen has ABSOLUTELY no control over how their police chiefs run their police force. You don’t like the police services in your community, vote the sheriff out of office. Try saying that to your Chief of Police right now.

Looked at objectively, there is no logical reason why Clayton or Pleasant Hill or Concord or San Ramon has a police department other than pride.

Before people start saying they don’t like Sheriff’s Deputies, or Deputies are turn keys. Consider this. There isn’t enough Deputy Sheriff’s to patrol central county. The Sheriff’s Office would have to absorb the local police department officers. The people patrolling your cities would be the same people you’re use to seeing right now. An officer get promoted they get moved as needed, somewhere else otherwise the officer stay in the city where they were hired until they retire or voluntarily move. New hires are plugged in as needed

Homogeneous law enforcement services for central county. I would argue that overall the services would improve and the costs would drop significantly… and it will never happen because every city wants it’s own army to control…..

If you disagree I would genuinely like to hear your argument.

17 Finally June 7, 2014 at 4:54 AM

I am one of those officers who left. I can tell you that I would have never left Clayton were it not for the low salary we were paid. We made sacrifices when the economy was at it’s lowest in order to help the city weather the storm, but as the economy recovered, we were not rewarded for our cooperation. I loved the community and my coworkers, but after years of basically being told the council doesn’t care if you leave, there is always someone to replace you, it was time to move on. I hope now that the public finally knows what’s going on, they will speak out and maybe no one else will have to leave. It was a great community to work in, and I miss it every day.

18 Cy Nical June 7, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Clayton P.D. is the lowest paid in the county. In addition Clayton officers made concessions when the economy tanked which were to last for a specific period. When the time was up this year the city didn’t want to give back what they had taken away as promised, that was the last straw for many officers.

19 twilight June 7, 2014 at 8:36 AM

@ concerned citizen: although I will not take the time to verify your comments, I fully agree. I might add that I believe that Clayton’s fiscal health is due to careful money management over many years; it did not appear by magic. (We are an exception among cities.) But city spending must also be balanced and realistic.

20 mec172003 June 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Which officers left??

21 The agendas say it all June 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Being disabled, I’m unable to attend council meetings. I’m a retired officer from a neighboring city and I’m fairly familiar with police contract negotiations. Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I noticed something that peaked my interest while reviewing the minutes from meetings several months back. According to the minutes from the 12/17/13 council meeting, buried on pages 20-24 confirms that City Manager Gary Napper received a raise, just before Christmas nonetheless. Additionally, it states that Mr. Napper is now eligible for bonuses based his performance throughout the fiscal year. Oddly, the minutes don’t state any specific dollar amounts as to how much the bonuses would be. It only states the council will pay Mr. Napper in cash, benefits, or whatever they deem is appropriate.

In the council minutes in the months immediately following Mr. Nappers raise and new mystery bonus eligibility, what I came across next was even more interesting. In numerous council session minutes starting at the beginning of the year, (right after the raise and program), I noticed the council began holding closed sessions in regards to the contract negotiations with the Clayton Officer’s Association and the City’s labor negotiator, Mr Napper. The minutes state the council gave Mr. Napper direction as to what the they wanted him to relay to the Police Association. This info agrees to what the former officer stated. Further examination of the session minutes revealed the officers have been in concessions for the past 4-5 years. I was shocked to see the concessions our officers have been under. First, no holiday pay for the officers. That alone is unheared of in modern times. Additionally, and this was the most shocking, during the first 5 years of employment, the officers (pre-budgeted) annual pay steps have been frozen for the past 4-5 years. This means if an officer was hired 4 years ago, he/she is still being paid at the rate of a first year officer. HUH?! How is that fair to the cop who was hired at the first paystep, and 4 years later, he’s still on the first paystep?! I discussed this with a very knowledgable police labor negotiator I’ve known for many years from my time representing my old associations negotiations. His first reaction in regards to the frozen pay steps was a very puzzled look on his face. He then said, “That can’t be true because concessions are items that need to affect each officer equally, and unless every officer was hired the year the concessions were imposed, that’s just plain cruel to the officers who were hired in the past 4 years, because they have been stuck on the first paystep and making 20% less than what they were expecting to be paid in their 4th year of service.” (Most every police dept has 5 paysteps. When an officer is hired at step A, the base step, they know if they do their job, in 5 years, they will be at the top paystep.)

Our officers haven’t received holiday pay for 4 years, and any officer hired in the past 4 years has been stuck on the lowest pay step, which I must say, is sadly, very very low.

Clayton is one of the most finsncially healthy cities in the state. Even when the economy was at its worst, Clayton was perfectly fine. Each and every council member should be ashamed of themselves for what they’ve done. They have no clue what a tenured officer is worth to a small community. Bringing in someone new is a very long and tedious process. It doesn’t happen overnight. It can take several months just to get through the hiring testing, let alone the 12 weeks of field training (with the city crossing their fingers the officer possesses the skills to pass field training.)

To sum it up, as a 19 year resident of Clayton, I’m disgusted we have a council who treats the protectors the way they have. Talk about big egos! Holy moly!!! To the officers who are still with the city of Clayton, I thank you very much for your service, ESPECIALLY now that I know what’s been happening. WOW. To the officers who’ve left for reasonable pay, I’m sorry to see you go under these COMPLETELY avoidable circumstances.

How do the council members sleep at night knowing they’ve singlehandedly crippled their own police department?! Our cops are not just the lowest paid in the county, they are the lowest paid BY FAR in the county. The Clayton City Council should make some very quick decisions and get the remaining dedicated cops to at least a semi-competitive salary so they can retain and promote the remaining experienced officers.

The 5 ELECTED council members are simply clueless as to what they are doing to our community. I’ll certainly be passing this embarrassing information on to my many friends in the community. Folks, keep this information in mind the next time elections come around. If you choose to vote for the people who are singlehandedly crippling our police department (and as I understand it, also the city hall and maintenance employees) then you are agreeing they have represented the wants and needs of the 10,000 residents in the community. Every council session has a public comment period. In reviewing many session minutes, nobody bothers to voice their opinion to the council. I encourage every resident in Clayton to show up at a council meeting (every other Tuesday) and voice their opinion of what these 5 people have done. I find it embarrassing to see the council members at events laughing and shaking hands knowing full well they let their egos take over. Council: stop making financial decisions is if the money is coming out of your pocket. Refocus on public safety as a priority over what type of flowers will be planted on Main St. How absolutely embarrassing.

Finally, join me in personally thanking one of our protectors when you see them out and about. To the people who say you’ll find them at Starbucks: if you were working under these conditions, wouldn’t you be drinking a lot of coffee as well?

Meanwhile, Mr. Napper happily accepts a raise and mystery bonus program while he relays the council’s selfish demands. I wonder if the council would relay the same selfish demands if they had to negotiate face to face with the officers sworn to protect them. I think not.

-Disgusted

22 If the "shoe" fits..... June 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Notice that the self-nicknamed “shoe” hasn’t put in his two cents? I wonder why……..

23 No sympathy June 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM

@ Agendas #22

What businesses outside of those supported by taxpayer dollars pay their employees for NUMEROUS holidays off each year? And Bereavement pay? And sick pay?..etc.. And doesn’t all that paid time off contribute to their generous retirement packages for total of days “worked?” I have no sympathy for your/their agenda.

24 The agendas say it all June 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Almost everyone who works on a Major holiday gets time and a half.

25 Clayton family June 7, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Mayor,
In reading the above comments, can you please investigate??

26 Tree Farm June 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM

@ #9

I am pretty comfortable in my Federal law enforcement position right now. Thanks for your concern though. Had they bounced me during a background, I would have sounded like a bitter, sore loser. However, like I mentioned, they never even acknowledged the receipt of my application. After reading the above posts, do you still think qualified LEO’s like myself are the problem?

27 Anonymous June 7, 2014 at 10:57 PM

I too retired from a large police agency. Had interaction with Clayton PD and found them as professional as any surrounding agency. The fact that an affluent city pays so poorly is a reflection on the decision makers in the City. They might want to consider why so many cops have left.

28 David "Shoe" Shuey - Clayton Vice Mayor June 9, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Wow, just saw this post for the first time and already getting called out anonymously. Well, I am working at my other job that supports my family but I will try and get a comprehensive post later if I can. However, in a nutshell : we had a rush of officers leave for many reasons, most due to getting better opportunities to advance and pay, and we have hired and are continuing to look for new officers. This is the message that Chief Thorsen gave to the Pioneer on June 5: The Department has experienced the loss of several officers over the last few months. Four left to work at other local law enforcement agencies to further their careers, obtain new opportunities not available in a small police department (e.g. detective; SWAT; K-9, etc.), in addition to more pay. One has been out on work injury for an extended period of time. This has left us five working officers out of an authorized strength of ten. We have hired three officers to replace those who left. Our most recent hire is scheduled to begin his career in Clayton on June 16. The remaining two vacancies are at the sergeant rank. We are holding a promotional exam later this month and hope to have the positions filled shortly thereafter. The promotional exam has been opened to candidates within the Clayton Police Department and from outside agencies. Should we promote a internal candidate, it will necessitate the need to hire a replacement officer. An external candidate will need to go through our full background screening process. In either case, it will take approximately four to six months to process and train the new employee.

We have hired staff to fill all our police officer vacancies, they are in various stages of their training program. Typically, the field training for a police officer is 12 weeks in length. I expect the first of our new officers will complete the training program in the end of July or early August. Internally we have discussed the possibility of having the Concord Police Department staff all or part of our graveyard patrol function until we get back up to full field deployment. Legal counsel is preparing documents necessary to allow the process to move forward should it happen.

29 David "Shoe" Shuey - Clayton Vice Mayor June 9, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Further, Also, Clayton like every other City has struggled with budget and have amazingly kept a balanced budget throughout the recession unlike 98% of the other Cities in California. It is not as simple as saying, let’s give everyone a raise. Clayton has historically been on the lower end of pay scale for officers and city staff and that comes from being a small city and not having a huge retail tax base like other cities. We stay within our budget and that sometimes results in losing officers to better opportunities for them. We just recently agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement with our officers that was the result of long negotiations and ultimately both sides agreed. Our books are open and anyone can see our budgeting and decisions. Happy to provide anyone with more specific answers if you wish at dshuey@ci.clayton.ca.us. Hope that helps clarify.

30 @Shuey June 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM

First of all it’s nice to see a politician stand up and sign his name to something, even when he is wrong. Clayton cops aren’t bailing out to join SWAT. They are leaving because the rich folks in Clayton treat them like minimum wage workers..

Wait and see what Comcord PD charges to man the graveyard shift if you want to see sticker shock.

31 Marissa June 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

@30
In a town full of retired cops, what can you really expect.

32 @Concerned Citizen June 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM

you really need to understand what a Reserve is, there are laws that control who much they are per city. It is based on a percentage of an annual budget in case of emergency the city can still function. The city can not do what they want with the reserve, it’s the law.

33 David "Shoe" Shuey - Clayton Vice Mayor June 9, 2014 at 10:09 AM

@Shuey #30 Thanks I think for the very backhanded compliment. :) First, where was I wrong. I never said they were going to join SWAT. They are leaving for better pay and better opportunities. They always have and if you look over the decades that has not changed. We are never going to be on the top end of the pay scale given our budget. We have to do what we can. We are well aware of the cost of having to use Concord PD and we are looking at figuring out ways to ensure it does not happen again. We have even discussed informally the idea of a public safety tax that would help pay our officers more. Weird thing, though, like with most other taxes people start pulling back when they realize how much more it is going to cost them. It is a tough situation with no easy answers and we welcome reasonable and rationale feedback and thoughts on how we can do it differently or better, but merely saying pay them more is not new because to pay them more we need more revenue or cuts elsewhere.

34 David "Shoe" Shuey - Clayton Vice Mayor June 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Ok, have tried to pull together some more information for all of you and in response to some of the posts. This may or may not clarify or help but here we go:
Regarding City Hall, two employees left the organization for more money. One was Laci, who holds a MPA degree when that position did not call for it. She bettered her career and pay by going to American Canyon. The other was David Woltering, who left for more money by going to the Peninsula. The others retired (i.e. Lynn Cupit, Rita Howe; Merry Pelletier). FYI, our non-police employees are also among the lowest paid in the County and that has been the same way for a long time just like with the police. We are a small city and that is reality. Living within our budget.

The Council in November 2013, for all of its Miscellaneous Employees, restored pay taken away by furloughs for 4 years (necessary due to recession and balanced budget, etc. and recognized by employees during negotiations and ultimate signed contract), including the City Manager. Since unpaid furlough pay is based on a percentage of compensation (4.3%), as the highest paid employee the City Manager voluntarily took the largest pay cut. When the Council restored 9 furlough days to the Miscellaneous Employees, it later did the same for the City Manager by separate action. This cannot be considered a “pay raise” for any of those employees – it was a partial restoration of 4-year pay cuts.

Separately, the compensation increase authorized for the City Manager amounted to $8,500/yr. actual pay. Miscellaneous Employees, including the City Manager, still have 2 unpaid furlough days.

The Police Department did not experience “pay cuts” in the form of salary reductions for 4 years. Just as with our non-police employees, due to the recession the City had to reduce expenses throughout the budget and negotiated with our employees who ultimately recognized the impacts of the recession and accepted the contracts) Merit pay increases were frozen. Holiday Pay was suspended and now is partially restored. The Police Department had merit increase pay unfrozen ($22,000+ increase to budget) plus they received a 1% pay increase and their Holiday Pay restored (with additional increases in budget).

Unlike many cities in California, we are not in danger of bankruptcy! We have made hard decisions but those decisions have kept us fiscally sound during a difficult recession. I hope people recognize there are two or more sides to every story and it is not easy or simple. Again, I will answer other questions when I can.

35 Tom June 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I don’t consider Clayton an “affluent city.” Clayton is a middle class town. Affluent cities would be Orinda, Alamo, Danville, etc.

Secondly, you can only pay what is within budget, and if it’s long standing, Clayton police officers should be well aware of this.

Thirdly, people (in all professions) will always leave to further their careers. It’s hard to say good bye, but you do it anyway, and wish them well.

While attending grad school (along time ago), I remember reading in the LA Times that LAPD would leave for better pay (and less stress) for positions in surrounding suburbs.

I would think you would make more money in a larger city, but I guess it depends on the budget.

If it was up to me, law enforcement would be making a lot more for risking their lives on a daily basis.

36 @Shuey June 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM

In your latest post you inquire , Where was I wrong. Go back and read your first post. You specifically mentioned a cause for leaving was SWAT. It’s line 17.

Second, when you ask “Where was I wrong” you omit the question mark.Most of us use them at the end of questions.

Still you are a public official trying to explain a serious issue and having balls enough to sign your name. For that I hereby excuse your errors.

Signed #30

37 David "Shoe" Shuey - Clayton Vice Mayor June 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM

@Shuey#36
ok, that was a quote from the Chief that I was distributing so that is why I was confused. Second, I noticed the lack of question mark almost immediately and then thought better to let it go rather than correct and apparently I was wrong. :)

38 Cy Nical June 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM

@Shoe.

So the city manager is being financially rewarded for underpaying employees causing them to go elsewhere and undermining the public safety.
You must be so proud.
Even your inference that Clayton has always been a low paying city so it’s OK and there are already new officers to step in shows how little value Clayton places on experience. As long as there’s a body with a badge it doesn’t matter. right?
This city council should be ashamed by their actions and those of their best buddy, the city manager.

39 Anon2you June 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM

@ Shuey #30-36 – YOU are an idiot. – Signed the NOT so RICH people of Clayton.
YOU amaze me with you INABILITY to read words that are written very clearly, BUT you have an AMAZING ability to READ INTO things and come up with your own interpretation of what the writer meant. Absolutely brilliant. I bet you are the same a$$wipe who doesn’t listen when people speak and interrupt constantly with your POINTS and FEELINGS on any conversation! I know you don’t live in Clayton, and I couldn’t be happier about that. You don’t know Clayton, You don’t know it’s citizens and you don’t know Dave Shuey! Stop commenting on things you don’t know…And learn to read what people write, don’t skip over things, moron, and make up your own interpretation, dumbass, it will make your life better, idiot…
(Writers Note: Capitalization was used to emphasize word and should not be interpreted as shouting, no need to shout afterall)

40 Anonymous June 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM

You can play this story again in two years. The powers to be in Clayton don’t care about their cops pay. Lots of hoity toity people there.

41 @ Shooey June 9, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Using your logic anyone who pays more for an experienced lawyer is wasting their money, go hire a lawyer fresh out of law school- they’re all the same right?

42 Resident June 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I think the residents of Clayton will be in an uproar if Concord PD
starts working the streets of Clayton. Concord officers
will probably be way more aggressive and they don’t have a history
with the city or the residents. Clayton residents should refuse to allow
another police department to take over their city. Years ago
the city council meeting was flooded with residents when the option
Of contracting police services came up. It’s time for the residents to speak
Up again.

43 Smileys?! June 9, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Dear Mr. Shuey,

Sir, do you have any clue how childish your posts have made you look? Using smileys when discussing public safety? A sarcastic remark about a question mark?

This man thinks he’s God. My dad always told me to never trust a man who can’t wipe a smirk off his face. I never really understood what he meant, until today. The cute little smiley faces are what sealed the deal for me. I bet you tell a lot of bad jokes, too, don’t you?

The person who made the “body with a badge” comment hit the nail right on the head. Mr. David “Smiley” Shuey has absolutely know clue what a tenured, valued officer is worth to a police department. I can appreciate the fact that new officers have been hired, but if I need the police for whatever reason, please send the seasoned officer who feels valued and knows this place like the back of his or her hand. Considering the officers who left found employment elsewhere, it would seem our wonderful city lost an immeasurable amount of talent and investment. Doesn’t it cost thousands of dollars to get a new officer equipped and ready to train? Is overtime a factor as well? Shouldn’t those costs be considered when determining an officer’s salary?

I bet you rubbed your hands together and laughed like a sinister character in a children’s movie before you typed, didn’t ya? Yeah, c’mon, you know you did! I’d be willing to bet my last Junior Mint halfway though a good movie that you giggled when you finished typing and said, “Take that!!!”

Please don’t vote for this person again. I find it scary this man is in office.

44 Atticus Thraxx June 9, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Jesus…..#43 put your name on it if your gonna be all overwrought and dramatic. Dude answered some questions, best I can tell…honestly and you come on here acting like he eats babies. You have no point other then an attempt at cleverness that fell flat. No substance to your objection. You ought to be asking why would anybody want to work for you? Because you pay taxes? I’d tell ya to stick it.

45 Clayton needs to wake up June 9, 2014 at 9:48 PM

If I am reading correctly, the city council thanked the PD by offering a hefty 1% pay increase.
Time to make some cuts in the budget somewhere…the old way is not working anymore.

46 Thank you #17 June 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Trying to explain the vice mayors comments to my middle school-er and 9th grader, ended with me scratching my head… There is such a disconnect in his thoughts… They seem all over the place, which make his stats look shaky at the least.
The pro police support that is rising up on the other hand is clear, to the point and have stats to back them up. Nobody seems to ever show up at council meetings to call these people on the carpet to explain to us face to face the damage they have allowed to happen to our police dept… Talk about a slap in the face to our officers…. It’s almost like saying to them, in baby talk, “look you guys we gave you a 1% raise, and you only had to wait 4 years….you should be happy even though you are the lowest paid dept. Almost anywhere..”
I had no idea any of this was going on…. Now I do, and the talk is spreading…. Funny, haven’t heard a peep from the city manager about his raise, or any of the rest of these people. Bet they are huddled together hoping this will go away….
lastly, officer #17, my family and I are sorry you were forced to leave in order to be able to continue providing for your family. Thank you for your service to us, When we the people get to the bottom of this unjustness, and let light shine on it, and get it fixed, maybe, just maybe, you would consider returning “home.”

47 Claytonistador June 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM

The conservative arm of Clayton doesn’t think about labor. They’re just widgets. It’s all about bottom line for them. Save taxes, right? Well, BOTTOM line is we’re losing cops because they don’t earn enough. A large raise was won for Napper when the cops get a 1% snap back. Figures. Probably conjured up by a republican who makes $200K+. Clayton city council…your constituency is watching. Hope you all get this right. Between the charter school and this you’re losing a bunch of us. Check your egos.