Martinez Man Arrested After Woman Uses App to Locate Stolen Phone

June 5, 2014 · 31 comments

A suspected burglar was arrested after a San Ramon woman used an app to track her stolen phone and located the suspect as he was heading to her house, police said today.

Police said the woman returned to her parked car near a walking trail in West Contra Costa County on Sunday afternoon to find that her purse, cellphone, wallet and information identifying her home in San Ramon had been stolen.

While the victim was making a report with the county sheriff’s office, she was able to pinpoint her phone’s location using a “Find My Phone” app, according to police.

Seeing that whoever had the phone was heading toward her home in San Ramon, the woman quickly called family members to watch the house.

Police said one of the victim’s relatives saw a man drive by the house and scan for various addresses before parking his car around the corner.

San Ramon police officers arrived on the scene and made contact with the suspect, who at first was uncooperative, according to police.

Police said officers searched the car and found the victim’s property, including her house keys.

The man, identified as 34-year-old Dustin Freiburger of Martinez, was arrested on suspicion of possession of stolen property, possession of burglary tools and possession of paraphernalia and forgery. He was taken to county jail, according to police.

The following day, police arrested three more suspects in connection with at least one car burglary near the 17000 block of San Ramon Valley Boulevard after a string of auto burglaries in the area.

The three suspects were identified as 26-year-old Andrew Peacock and 28-year-old Antoin Jackson, both of Oakland, and Lavante Anderson, 23, of Union City.

Police said property crimes are on the rise statewide and that burglars are targeting vehicles with personal items left inside.

San Ramon police are reminding residents to lower their chances of becoming burglary victims by removing all valuable items from their vehicles and locking the doors.

1 Silva June 5, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Hey lady, I think you’re pretty sharp. It’s almost as if you baited these losers and reeled ‘em on in for the catch! I must wonder though, where had you stashed the purse, wallet, phone, etc. Were they in plain sight or not? Just curious.

2 Anon June 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Good for her. And she got one less turd off the streets.

3 Well.. June 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I leave nothing in my car. Even my car registration isn’t in there. If I get pulled over I will take the ticket and then show proof of registration when I go to court. ( not to worried since I never have been pulled over). I also don’t lock my car so I don’t get proken windows.

That being said, good thinking on this person to use that app and get this person arrested!!

4 furian June 5, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Excellent, all the way around.

Love these kind of stories.

5 AnotherAnon----------When will people learn to NOT LEAVE STUFF IN CAR June 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM

“the woman returned to her parked car near a walking trail in West Contra Costa County on Sunday afternoon to find that her purse, cellphone, wallet and information identifying her home in San Ramon had been stolen”.

Fortunately, the woman was able to recover her things, but the fact remains, she acted in a stupid manner, leaving valuables in her car. She should be fined for violating the anti-stupid laws.

6 Anonymous June 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I will never understand why anyone would leave their purse in their car. Why not use one of those fanny packs around your waist and take miminal information if you are going walking.

7 KJ June 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I’m just wondering why she left her cell phone and wallet in her car? Shouldn’t you take those with you just in case something happens and you need help?

8 anonanonagain June 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Glad that she was able to recover her belongings. This is an excellent reminder to leave NOTHING inside your vehicle for these scumbags to take……

9 confused June 5, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Okay, I’ll admit I might be a little tech-dumb, but if her cell phone was stolen, how was she able to use an app to find it? thought apps were on your phone. Am sure someone will explain this to me.

10 Rather than calling the cops June 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM

she should have just reminded her husband that his shotgun needed cleaning….and now would be a good time to do it….in the living room…

11 Yes let's all blame the victim June 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Just let the criminal go free. It’s not his fault people leave things he wants to steal in plain sight. This woman should be put in jail.

12 NutCreek Frontier June 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Fabulous story, kudos to this woman for calling it in and helping to catch these dregs of society…let’s blame Dustin Freiburger of Martinez for his anti-social behavior and attempting to rip-off this family twice.

13 Incognito June 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I am happy this lady used some detective work to get her belongings back. However, when we all stop leaving valuables (such as purses) in vehicles, we will stop becoming victims, because there will always be opportunists waiting to take advantage. It’s really all about common sense, which many people lack.

14 missime June 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM

@Confused

To find your phone you log on to your account on a website for the phone (icloud for iphones) and then it locates the phone. You do have to have the find my phone app turned on on your phone so it can be located.

15 Mr. Pink June 5, 2014 at 9:44 AM

That’s awesome that the cops actually got this guy. What a jackass.

16 Class of 90 CVHS June 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I’m w you confused. I was thinking the same.

17 anon June 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

” but if her cell phone was stolen, how was she able to use an app to find it?”

Probably called he husband & he tracked it

18 Theyellowranger June 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM

@ confused: find my iphone is also a web application provided by apple. You can go to any internet computer with your proper credentials and locate your device.

19 Wait a minute June 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM

@confused if you have a friend or someone else with you that has in iPhone or computer I believe then you use their phone to track yours.
Here’s an idea don’t leave it in the car, I mean how many times have we read this same thing?

20 jtkatec June 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Thank you, #11. It’s a common occurrence here to focus on the victim in a negative way. Why? When it’s the jackass criminal who deserves the criticism

21 Guess what app I just downloaded! June 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Great work..

I am glad that lady did not just stick her head in the dirt and get mad at the police because she thought they where not doing there job!

Just think what could have happened if she did not have that app.

SHE IS MY HERO!!!!!

22 John H. June 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM

and the government wants to make this mandatory on all smartphones so they can deactivate your phone and track you if necessary… lol.. regardless, all smartphones can be tracked at anytime especially with TrackMyPhone.com or some cloud service or with googles built in tracking software done simply from the website. very easy, very fun to watch the perps run

23 PO'd June 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM

If you don’t trunk your valuables, then you might as well leave them outside the car, in plain sight.. At least, you won’t have to clean up the glass.

24 so? June 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM

#6, sometimes you are at point A, like work, a store, etc., going to point B, like home or another destination, and your hiking trail of choice isn’t the final stop. Instead of driving back home, perhaps many miles out of your way to deposit said purse etc., you simply place said belongings in your trunk or otherwise hide them away BEFORE (very importantly, in case the parking lot at the trail head is being watched by theif(s)) you arrive at the hiking trail. I myself almost always use a fanny pack, which aren’t easy to find anymore, and I don’t have to comply with any type of office or business or any other dress code.

It hasn’t been stated that she was guilty of leaving her belongings in plain sight, Nimrods!!

25 Mir24 June 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM

She is obviously pretty smart, so I can’t imagine she left her purse in plain site. It’s common for women to put this stuff in the trunk when exercising and the criminals know this — even if you put your purse in there before you enter the parking lot (although I keep my phone with me in case of emergency).

26 Stop Acting Like a Bunch of Makaks June 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM

When there is danger threatening the group (like a predator), Makaks beat each other up… INSTEAD OF facing the threat.

All of you laying blame at the victim, you’re all worthless.

27 KJ June 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM

It is legal to black out your address on your registration. I wonder why all people don’t do this? Probably thinking crime won’t happen to them. Don’t feed the trolls, don’t leave valuables in your car.
She got lucky the thief was too dumb to shut the phone off, disabling “find my phone” .

28 Justice0419 June 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM

This happens with home invasions all of the time. Don’t leave your things out in your house as well..come on people. This is crazy.
I am being sarcastic. She did the right thing. Caught the crazy. One more thief off the streets for a minute

29 Whatever June 6, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Overall…..I think this lady is not even thinking….hello! She just bragged about stopping a criminal via her telephone. One who now is out of jail and knows where she lives. So, unless she has a police officer on retainer or never leaves her house again….she shoulda just kept her mouth shut about how “smart” she is. I fully believe the purse was in plain sight with this kind of stupidity. And….if he comes back, send his friends….I’m not going to feel bad at all for her. She made that bed.

30 The Cold Soldier June 6, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Excellent work, all around. Makes my day to hear examples of the system working the way it should. I would love to hear, if anyone knows, which “find my phone” app was used. I’m going to install one on my phone, but there are thousands of them and I’d love to use one one that already heard works.

31 If he comes back June 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM