BART.gov Named Top Government Website

June 4, 2014 · 19 comments

BART’s official website, www.bart.gov, has been named the “Best Government Site” according to the 2014 Blue Drop awards.

The awards recognize those who maximize the capabilities of Drupal, an open source content management system (c.m.s.).

BART recently overhauled its c.m.s. in a complex move that was, by design, unnoticeable to the public until its completion. The result is a more robust, more informative website that has earned the Blue Drop Award, BART said.

BART.gov has thousands of moving parts and yet must display correct real-time information to riders as well as provide uniterrupted service in case of emergencies and heavy website traffic, BART said. The migration to the new c.m.s. complies with all applicable accessibility guidelines, including Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) Best Practices for Website Accessibility.

During the first week after launching, the c.m.s. handled 13 million hits to bart.gov in a single morning with no noticeable performance impact.

For more information on the Blue Drop Awards, visit 2014.bluedropawards.org.

1 Dubious distinction June 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM

“Top Government Website” is kinda like, “Most comfortable kick in the family jewels”.

2 just a concordian June 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM

My name is John Q. Bart, I sell transportation.
Are you on time? – Oh no… but all of our delays are clearly posted in our state of the art, award winning website for all to see.
Why didn’t you put the money on improving the service instead? – I’m a firm believer that in order to be successful one must project an image of success.
Is that a quote from a movie? – I wouldn’t know, I’m too busy working hard to pay any attention to movies!
“BART, and you’re there, EVENTUALLY “

3 DummitDowns June 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM

HaHa! Really? Grading on a sliding scale with obamacare site. Congrats BART! Soft on crime, the best online. You go BART.

4 annon June 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Bart can’t even monitor the garages for car thieves.

5 dogbert June 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Too bad the website can’t get people from Point A to Point B.

6 @DummitDowns, #3-----Where do you see any reference to Obamacare? June 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM

7 @DummitDowns, #3-----perhaps the Dummit one thinks June 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

ADA(Americans with Disabilities Act) is the same as ACA(Affordable Care Act).

8 Jojo potato June 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Get an award for just doing their job? Did everybody get a trophy? What a bunch of nothing!

9 Anonymous June 4, 2014 at 4:27 PM

ADA is the same as Obama care? Is that what you said?

10 to bad June 4, 2014 at 5:08 PM

the fed’s couldn’t use the same programmers Bart did. Perhaps the health care system might have worked. But then again, there was a great deal of money going under the table with the fed health care program. The government is best when its corrupt.

11 Anon June 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Cool, now fix the BART cops, because they suck.

12 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM

as an obama voter, all I know is I want more free stuff.

13 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Speaking of government:
John Kerry walks into a bar and orders a drink. The bartender says sure, but why the long face?
LOL!!!

14 Smart,Goodlooking&Debonaire June 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM

This makes me think we should be taxed more so that we can increase the pay and benefits of BART workers. We should also reduce their working hours, because they are working too hard all the time.

15 BART PD June 4, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Until the public gets fed up with the crime at BART nothing will be done. The Police Chief, GM and the Board of Directors decided the police need to be all about “Public Relations” instead of crime fighting. After the Oscar Grant incident they went on the defensive and want to make everyone happy. Officers are told to not engage in anything unless it’s absolutely necessary. They mostly hide and have for a while. Officers that do things are not looked at highly. Just like every arrest needs to be approved by a supervisor so to discourage arrests. The Criminals on BART are very aware of this. My neighbor is a BART officer and he’s looking for new employment he said it’s not a good place to be a cop. You can’t do your job. He said he fears for the employees and the publics safety!!

16 Bubbles June 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I use BART and take it to the Oakland Airport a lot. Currently they have a shuttle system that costs 3 bucks each direction. it works fine I’ve never seen a problem. The Board of Directors decided to build this “Disney Tram” that is ridiculously expensive. over 500 million so far and it’s not even done. The fares are expected to be about 6 bucks each direction. Thats double the price!! I know people like to blame the frontline workers but whats with this Board??

17 Julio June 4, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Kinda makes me sick. Bart is nothing to be proud of.

18 Queen of the Universe June 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I truly no taxpayer/grants are used for this study, because if there are, I call porkbelly

19 Queen of the Universe June 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM