Claycord Online Museum – Walnut Creek Kaiser Hospital Historical Video with Baby Drawers, a Pool & Ashtrays

June 3, 2014 14:00 pm · 20 comments

poolside_1

This is one of the greatest historical videos that we’ve ever featured on Claycord.

The video promotes Kaiser Hospital in Walnut Creek, in 1953′ish! The hospital has x-ray machines, a pool, ashtrays & baby drawers (times sure have changed).

Although the video doesn’t mention the words “Walnut Creek”, you can tell it’s Walnut Creek by matching up the picture of the pool shown below the video with the pool in the video, and also, the image Henry Kaiser holds up in the beginning of the video is exactly how Kaiser in Walnut Creek used to look.

video: courtesy of http://archive.org/details/DreamHos1950
photo: courtesy of http://kaiserpermanentehistory.org/tag/swimming-pool/

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

{ 20 comments }

1 Clayton Squirrel June 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I love the baby drawer!

2 Totes Magotes June 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM

How nice to be rolled outside in one’s hospital bed!

3 Silva June 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I love the pool.

4 Bunnyluver4 June 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM

The baby drawer is hysterical!!

5 J. June 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I remember the patio doors on each room. Those were the days. I was a drawer baby too.

6 Vintage Video June 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Surprised Claycord hasn’t added this one yet (Martinez, circa 1927).

7 Eddie Spaghetti June 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM
8 g June 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM

If only my wife’s birth at WC kaiser was so happy and joyful. Wath out, they love doing unnecessary C-Sections there.

9 MadMom June 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I was told that I was a baby in a drawer. My mom thought it was the best thing! I never saw the pool but I remember getting shots in the little house. It sure was different back in those days.

10 1985 June 3, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I was a patient there in 1985 and you could go out the patio doors and smoke.

11 annon June 3, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Bought cigars to handout from the gift shop when my son was born.

12 macawlady June 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM

I think I may have been a drawer baby too…seem to remember my mom talking about it. How funny!

13 JET June 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Hey Mayor – this is the video clip that I found last year and sent to you (i think)! LOL. I was also a ‘drawer baby’…. in 1975. And I’m sure my Dad also utilized the ashtrays back then as well….. sigh. Different times.

14 Work on a food truck June 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Showed the video to my mom tonight! Omg! I a drawer baby too! Still laughing!! This was in 69! Still so hysterical!! My son was born in 95 at WC kaiser! No drawers!! I just love it!! Too funny!

15 And no one on a cell phone!!! June 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM

16 @Eddie Spaghetti June 3, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Yes. I see it in the 1958 photo.

17 RunDogRun June 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM

As a patient there in 1970,
they served me a glass of
red wine with my evening
meal. Very first glass of
wine I had ever had!

With their current terrorist-
jihad philosophy, you don’t
even drink chocolate, let alone
wine, and everything under the
sun is bad for you.

Oh, the good old days … when
people were sensible.

18 claycordian June 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM

The land belonged to the Newell Family (hence Newell Avenue). The pediatric ward in those days was in their old ranch house. I use to go there as a child. Mr. Newell maintained a garden plot on Newell Aveue for years on the other side of the freeway across from the intersection of Lilac and Newell. Today there’s homes back in there. he had a Chrysanthemum show every year.

19 Silva June 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM

#18, That’s really cool info.

20 Tricia June 5, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I just loved seeing the video. It brought back memories of my sons’ births in 1964 and 1967. I still have my Kaiser coverage and have received wonderful care from them over the years.