Column: “Smart Paws” on Claycord.com – Maddie’s Pet Adoption Days

May 29, 2014 16:00 pm · 24 comments

maddie

Hello Claycordians! Consider this a prelude of what’s to come. Claycord.com has been kind enough to welcome a regular pet column, a column we hope becomes a resource and an inspiration.

But first, in the interest of timeliness we want the first column to be all about Maddie’s Pet Adoption Days coming this weekend May 31-June 1st. Maddie’s Fund was started by local philanthropists, Dave and Cheryl Duffield (Dave was the founder of PeopleSoft) who have endowed hundreds of millions of dollars to save the lives of dogs and cats. Every year, Maddie’s Pet Adoption Weekend has a goal of placing 10,000 cats and dogs into forever homes. These adoptions are FREE to qualified homes and dozens of shelters and rescue organizations around our Bay Area are participating. They have a vision of a “no-kill” world and provide much needed resources and research to all those interested in pet rescue, rehabilitation and humane education.

Please ADOPT don’t SHOP. There is nothing like the feeling of rescuing an animal in need of a home. Every year, family pets are surrendered at shelters, lost and never claimed, or born without homes. For me, I adopted a senior dog from our own local Martinez Animals Services (aka “the pound”) last year, surrendered after her owner died. I’m also fostering an adorable Chihuahua, rescued from the Martinez shelter on what may have been his last day after several extensions and for whom I hope a home will be found on Maddie’s Adoption Days. He committed no crime other than being like the dozens of other “little brown dogs” that go unadopted each week and month at every shelter around the country. Spay, neuter and education are key, and those are all things we’ll talk about in future columns.

Here are some of our Claycord Adoption Days locations. The organization names are hyperlinks to their websites so you can start your search now, apply online, and pick up your new furry family member this weekend! Each organization has their own qualifications, so read before you go. Remember, more adoptable pets are being added all the time, so go visit the locations and check their sites frequently! For even more you can search www.petfinder.com as many organizations post their adoptable pets there too (not all participate in Maddie’s but who knows where you might find your next pet?) There are other Contra Costa and Bay Area locations too, just click the Adoption Days link to get more details on ALL locations. Share this information with your friends and family, sharing is caring! Until next time . . .

ARF (Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation)
Saturday, May 31 and Sunday, June 1st
Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation: 10am – 5pm
2890 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek

Cat Support Network
Saturday, May 31 and Sunday, June 1: 11am – 5pm
Pet Food Express
785 Oak Grove Road, Concord

Community Concern for Cats
Saturday, May 31: 12pm – 5pm and Sunday, June 1: 12pm-4pm
Petco
1301 S. California Boulevard, Walnut Creek

Pet Food Express
2158 Contra Costa Boulevard, Pleasant Hill

Contra Costa Animal Services
(search available pets at www.petharbor.com or www.petfinder.com)
Saturday, May 31
CCC Animal Shelter – Martinez: 10am – 5pm
4800 Imhoff Place, Martinez

Pet Food Express: 12pm – 3pm
1388 S. California Boulevard, Walnut Creek

PetSmart: 12pm – 3pm
1700 Willow Pass Road, Concord

Sunday, June 1
CCC Animal Shelter – Martinez: 12am – 3pm
4800 Imhoff Place, Martinez

Pet Food Express: 12pm – 3pm
1388 S. California Boulevard, Walnut Creek

PetSmart: 12pm – 3pm
1700 Willow Pass Road, Concord

Contra Costa Humane Society (Dogs and Cats)
Saturday, May 31: 10am – 4pm

Pet Food Express: 11am – 5pm
5404 Ygnacio Valley Road, Concord

K9 Paws Print Rescue
Saturday, May 31: 10am – 4pm
Baldwin Park
2700 Parkside Circle, Concord

Northern California Sled Dog Rescue (Norsled)
Saturday, May 31: 11am – 3pm

2727 Parkside Circle, Concord

Sunday, June 1: 10am – 4pm
Pet Food Express
2158 Contra Costa Boulevard, Pleasant Hill

maddies

maddies2

Visit our new facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smart-Paws-Pet-Resources/637917949631725 .  For the next few days we’ll highlight the photos and stories of some of the animals available for Maddie’s Adoption weekend!

We welcome all rescue organizations and local shelters to post on the wall, too!

{ 24 comments }

1 jtkatec May 29, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Nice article, Mr. Mayor.

You’re a good dog-dad.

I would love to adopt another but I have four rescue dogs, and I think that’s the limit.

2 teri May 29, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Does anyone know if there are still discount cat spay programs or coupons out there? I have a rescue, but I don’t know if she was feral.

3 CLAYCORD.com May 29, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Thank you, jtkatec, but this was actually written by a Claycordian who wishes to remain anonymous at this time. It’s going to be a bi-weekly (hopefully) column. We’ll come up with a fun name for the columnist. :)

Nice of you to have four rescue dogs. What kinds are they and where did you get them from?

Hope you have a nice weekend.

Mayor

4 Silva May 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM

This is a GREAT idea! I’m at my limit too, but I think this is just fab.

5 Atticus Thraxx May 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM

No need for coupons teri. Here’s a video on how to spay a cat : http://youtu.be/uVSN2EJFEJw
I’m a big do-it-yourself guy. Obviously you’ll have to MacGyver a few things but it’s doable. I’d try it out first on a cat your not too fond of. Maybe a neighbor’s.

6 Killjoy May 29, 2014 at 5:42 PM

We have two fur-kids that we adopted from The Feral Cat Foundation. :-)
If we could take more, we would.

7 Connie Dobbs May 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM

My attorney, Miss Zelda, was adopted from Antioch Animal Services.

8 57 Chevy May 29, 2014 at 6:35 PM

We adopted our dogs from ARF. Awesome organization. They get along great with our cats……occasional food stealing.

We’re one big, happy family.

9 futbllwmn May 29, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I have 3 rescue Beagles from Nor Cal Beagle Rescue. Another wonderful rescue organization.

10 anonanonagain May 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Thank you for posting this to your blog Mr. Mayor. I for one will try and attend as I am looking for a pound dog to adopt and love……

11 Great idea May 29, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Thanks, Mayor, for bringing this new contributor on board. Pets are a big part of the Claycord community and there’s a ton of good info. that can be shared here.

12 EdiBirsan May 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM

All my last two dogs were rescue dogs (Pug Rescue) and they were both great. One had three legs (a Tri-paw) and the other had severe separation anxiety- but he adopted me in the process and so went to work with me and just about wherever I went.

13 Charles-the-cat May 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM

We adopted our two cats from SafeCat. Got the dog at ARF. Like ARF, the kitties from SafeCat are all vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and microchipped. So that’s all included in the free Maddie’s Day adoptions.

I looked briefly at some of the groups featured. They all seem to include spay/neuter but double check on the vaccines and microchips when looking. Remember, many of these groups rescue animals directly from high kill shelters. So when you adopt a cat or dog from one of these groups, you open up a space in the foster homes to save another animal.

What I liked about adopting thru SafeCat rather than directly from the shelter is that the foster parents have socialized the animals in their homes and they can help you find a pet that’s a good fit for your family. ie, good with kids, likes dogs, is a total badass, stuff like that.

14 funny man May 29, 2014 at 11:41 PM

furbabies .. {{{cringe}}} .. ppl who call their pets anything other then pets give me the willies.
i wish i could take in a dog but its just not doable currently

15 Lari May 30, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Last June I adopted Beau, an adorably affable orange tabby, during the Maddie event. A few months later came Bella from Community Concern for Cats. They are best friends and we all love each other to bits.

16 medrex May 30, 2014 at 6:21 AM

Thanks for posting this. Totally appreciate it. I rescued 2 dogs through Maddie’s. I recall driving everywhere with my wife & two kids for hours searching for that special dog. My kids were in the back of car whinning the entire day, “When are we getting a dog?”. We only wanted 1 dog but adopted 2 dogs. We (my family) are so glad to have rescued our 2 dogs (a medium size (25lb & a 11lb pounder) through Maddie’s Pet Adoption Days. Before we adopted, we had an 80lb blue nose pure breed Pit bull (RIP) and a 75 lb Labrador mixed Chow (RIP). Good luck for those who seek out a pet(s). Adopt a pet take advantage of the opportunity of what Maddie is offering. We did and THANK YOU MADDIE.

17 Connie Dobbs May 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM

#14 I feel the same way about people who call me the dog’s ‘mommy.’ Ew.

18 macawlady May 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM

For those who might prefer a feathered companion, there is Mickaboo. They are a wonderful bird rescue organization. Please do not buy a bird from a pet store….there are so many birds waiting to be adopted! A parrot may be the only pet you’ll ever have that you can carry on a conversation with. (Smile)

19 instagramma May 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Support Rescue! Golden State German Shepherd a great place to find your next companion. We have 2 from Rescue, great dogs

20 Silva May 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM

So much info folks! You people rock!

21 RealityCheck May 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM

ARF has it’s heart in the right place, and the shelter itself is really nice, but they can be a huge pain to deal with. Endless waiting just to talk to someone, then you have to sit down while a counselor grills you on whether or not you are suitable to adopt one of their animals.
After multiple visits to ARF, I finally adopted from the Martinez county shelter, and now have a wonderful dog companion. The adoption fee was also less than half of what ARF charges.
Just saying, check out County first. And no, I do not work there….

22 Mary Fouts May 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Contra Costa Animal Services in Martinez and its many volunteers is outstanding; please visit them to find your forever companion. We adopted Chow-mis Titus the Dog (or I should say, he adopted us!) almost nine years ago when he was five. He is now nearly 14 years old, lives life to the fullest each day (an hour walk this morning), and is a superb canine companion. Rescue Dogs Rule!

23 homeowner June 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Thanks to Maddie’s Fund a lot of good animals found homes. The martinez shelter had 66 adoptions and umbrella of hope had 33 adopted. Those are the only ones I saw figures for but it sounds like a great first day to the weekend. I hope more people go out and find a great companion this weekend.

24 ANNONeeemoose June 1, 2014 at 9:01 AM

YAY for Maddie’s Fund! There are still a lot more to go today. Hundreds of cats and dogs in the Bay Area are getting lucky this weekend. The Facebook page on the post is featuring some of the locations still at it today. Still many homeless cats and dogs.