URGENT: Poll Workers Needed for Election in Contra Costa County Next Tuesday

May 28, 2014 4:00 am · 9 comments

Contra Costa County is in need of civic minded people willing to serve as poll workers in all areas of the County next Tuesday, June 3rd.

English and bilingual (English/Spanish, English/Japanese, English/Korean, English/Tagalog, English/Chinese, English/Vietnamese and English/Hindi) poll workers are needed. Pursuant to California Elections Code 12302, to be a poll worker, you must currently be a registered voter in California, or you may be a non-voter who is a permanent resident in the United States.

High School students, who are at least 16 years of age, are citizens or will be by the date of the election and who have at least a 2.5 GPA can serve as poll workers. Student poll workers will receive a stipend and may fulfill community service requirements.

No prior experience is necessary and training is provided. A special Saturday training will be offered on May 31 in the Board of Supervisors chambers located at 651 Pine Street in Martinez. Four different time slots during day and evening hours will be available.

County and State employees are encouraged to apply.

Applications will be immediately accepted and reviewed. Email eo.@vote.cccounty.us or call the Contra Costa County Elections Division at 925-335-7873.

1 Anon May 28, 2014 at 5:48 AM

English/German speakers are no needed, it appears the German’s are so lazy as to not learn English.

2 Toni May 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM

With wages like that, is it any wonder that workers are “urgently” needed? When it comes to the citizens, they’re to work as a public service for a paltry sum, but if you’re a “public servant,” AKA, politican, your wages are fit for a king.

Double standard much? Disgusting.

3 Anonymous May 28, 2014 at 7:59 AM

For that wage, they may as well just call it volunteering.

4 Dragon May 28, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I’ve served as a poll worker in two elections, and I highly recommend it. The hours are long and the pay is low, but polls are how a democracy works. If there are no polls, then voters cannot vote.

Just as it is a citizen’s duty to vote, helping others to get their votes processed is invaluable to our communities.

If I was able to help out this year, I’d do it again in a heartbeat. As it is, I can wholeheartedly recommend helping your fellow citizens to anyone who is in need of a service/volunteer day or who would just like to help out.

5 Mary Fouts May 28, 2014 at 2:36 PM

“Poll workers receive a stipend of $125 for attending training and working on Election Day from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm.”

So poll workers really and truly must work for 15 HOURS from 6 AM until 9 PM? (Someone please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding.) Does the County Elections Department not realize that people have other responsibilities to tend to? Working 15 hours is not even reasonable. No wonder Contra Costa County and Santa Clara County are begging for poll workers.

6 mutts May 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I don’t have the stomache or tolerance to hand out ballots in other languages.

7 EJ May 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I’ve worked a number of elections and, yes, it is a long day, but I highly recommend it. I know that not everyone can make it work (I was able to take a vacation day and some of the people I worked with were either retired or between jobs…) but for those who are able, it can be a rewarding, informative experience. People who come in to vote are also very appreciative of the people working. Unfortunately, I’m not able to help our this Tuesday but hope to resume with future elections!

8 EdiBirsan May 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I have done this for years before being elected. It is a very long day.
I have city council to do that day, otherwise I would be in there for the duration.

9 Barbie Dahl May 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I don’t need training. I’ve already got a few routines. Can we choose our own music?