16 Hospitalized for Heat, Alcohol Related Problems After Concert at Concord Pavilion

May 26, 2014 · 29 comments

pavilion

Sixteen people were hospitalized for problems related to heat or alcohol following a daytime concert in Concord on Sunday, a Contra Costa County Fire Protection District spokesman said today.

The people were taken to the hospital following the noontime KBLX Stone Soul Concert featuring Gladys Knight, Faith Evans and others at the Concord Pavilion at 2000 Kirker Pass Road.

Fire district spokesman Robert Marshall said along with the 16 hospitalizations, numerous other people were treated at the outdoor concert site for heat-related issues on a day where the temperature reached 90 degrees in Concord.

With similar temperatures expected today, Marshall encouraged residents to prepare for the heat, particularly if they are outdoors enjoying the Memorial Day holiday.

“People don’t realize how warm it is and how their bodies are affected by this temperature,” he said.

“When you get above 100, people kind of realize that,” he said. “I’m not so sure when it comes down to 90 degrees. People forget to do things like drink water, stay in the shade, and not drink alcohol in excess, and that usually leads to problems.”

Heat and alcohol were not the only problems for people attending the concert. Walnut Creek police said a man and woman were shot at 7:51 p.m. at Ygnacio Valley and Oak Grove roads after leaving the Concord Pavilion.

The two victims taken to John Muir Medical Center and their conditions were not immediately available this morning.

RELATED STORY: UPDATE: Two People Shot in Walnut Creek Minutes After Leaving Concert at the Concord Pavilion

1 Silva May 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I spent the day in my Oakland place where it was relatively cool and breezy. No way am I going to a concert in the scorching Concord summer heat ever again. And lots of water is always a must. 2 liters a day minimum. Don’t forget to drink water, folks! Elixir of life!

2 57 Chevy May 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Heat, alcohol. Age, underlying health problems. There you have it.

Wise up people.

3 Atticus Thraxx May 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Man if you can’t hold it together for Gladys Knight, your gonna loose your damn minds when Lionel Ritchie rolls in.

4 SLW May 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I worked at the Concord Pavilion in the 90’s as an usher as my second job and we saw a lot of things. Even us employee’s had to say hydrated during these concerts while we stood in blistering temps collecting tickets, seating people or working else where in the Pavilion. So yesterday’s event with people falling out left and right is not uncommon at these types of venues that happened to fall on a day where it’s in the 90’s. What I saw is a lot of people would rather drink alcohol than water causing healh issues and especially when it was an all day concert.
As for the shooting that followed the concert, not sure what to say about that, and if that was an isolated incident and if the parties knew each other, but it sure was NOT a RAP concert as people were talking about last night and the “type” of people that it would draw. I do know Clear Channel if they are still the owners or promoters do consider what type of artist they book and also a lot of artist do not want to play at the Pavilion because it’s so small.

5 judy May 26, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I work at the pavilion and it amazing people know
its hot yet they drink mixed drinks, they have no food
or water in the heat. Plus, smoking weed. Like what do you expect!
This was the worst I have ever seen for this supposedly
old school soul crowd.

6 C Lo May 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Hey Atticus.. F that! ;)

7 Waterboy May 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM

sell bottled water seasoned w/ grape soda and you will not have this dehydration issue

8 . May 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM

NOT at all surprised, came home from work yesterday about three Pavilion had the most cars I’ve ever seem in the parking lot. Bet they oversold the event.
No way I’d go sit with wall to wall flesh in the hot sun for hours.

Fire district might want to check on how many people were there.

9 BillyBob May 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM

i bet they were ghetto-rich looking cars at the pavillion. they all like to show off their cars and that was one oppportunity to do so.

10 Cvhs1994 May 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Wimps

11 Big Red May 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM

You deserve what you get if you’re not smart enough to drink some water in-between the Hennessy. Time to let the herd thin itself.

12 BillyBob May 26, 2014 at 1:20 PM

… that mad dog 20/20 gonna dehydrate you

13 Enjoy them ghetto-rich cars... May 26, 2014 at 1:32 PM

they all gonna be repo next month….

BTW: you know you need hydration when you drink two gallons of water and never pee.

14 lizzie May 26, 2014 at 1:54 PM

When I was at Lucky’s yesterday, saw many people that did not fit into our neighborhood. Know what I mean?

15 the Shi ite May 26, 2014 at 3:07 PM

It’s happened in the past, Kevin Brown the ex KBLX DJ even had to school people on bringing something to hydrate themselves because of the heat. He clowned them hard too! Apparently they don’t listen.
I don’t think ANY of my tax dollars should be paying for their ignorance. Who is paying the hospital bill?

16 Anon May 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I also worked at the Pavilion in the 90’s, and we never had out of town trash like these thugs who only know how to express themselves through violence. Stay in Oakland, losers.

17 Rick May 26, 2014 at 3:37 PM

@lizzie

I know what you mean. You want the 800 number for the klan.

18 me May 26, 2014 at 3:41 PM

its getting hot in here….

heat stress and exhaustion is nothing new at ANY outdoor concert. Regardless of the venue. Some are just more genetically and physiologically capable to handle it.
And if your not maybe you might want to stay home and hit that Ripple. Pass the blunt fool. Or go to Shoreline with the cooler temps. I know gas is expensive.

how long until we hear about the law suit that’s going to come out of this? any doubters? “they didn’t provide me water and it was hot, pay me” of some lame excuse why it was the promoters fault.

19 Anon May 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Could that shooting be in retaliation from the time Faith Evans beat up a girl when she caught Notorious BiG sleeping with in a hotel?

20 Starman May 26, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Water should be provided for free or at such a cheap rate so that everyone can afford to drink allot. As for the getto crowd that depends on the venue I don’t go to venues that have a low class crowd so they only get my money when they have a good behaved crowd. I choose location carefully Concords not on my favorites list

21 DavidDuke May 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM

all that purple syrup dehydratin’

22 @starman May 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Allot doesn’t mean what you think it does.

23 Zamora May 26, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Mo Purple Drank, hommie.

24 ANON May 26, 2014 at 9:27 PM

” Plus, smoking weed. Like what do you expect!”

Low life scum–like they can hold real jobs…NOT

25 curbstomper May 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Now say goodnight!

26 Dom May 27, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Normal crowd of Middle Aged black people… Dressed to the nines, not dressed for hot weather. They drank water but it wasn’t enough, they were dripping sweat and fainting. There was really dozens of people treated but most were able to be rehydrated by paramedics and released rather than transported to hospitals.

27 ObeyYoThirst May 27, 2014 at 8:35 AM

im sure they had clean jordans on though.

28 Anon May 27, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Is the Claycord area turning into the Deep South?

29 Feeling Scared May 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I didnt realize I was living around all these racist people. I feel more at home with human beings not you trolls with your negative comments. The Clan is alive and well here in Cracker Costa County. Its 2014 try to keep up.