Boating Safety Advisory – Delta Blitz Operation this Weekend During Start of Boating Season

May 24, 2014 9:00 am · 14 comments

With the Memorial Day weekend and the opening of boating season upon us, the Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff Marine Services Unit would like to remind boaters to be safe, alert and obey the rules. “By following the rules, having proper gear and equipment and boating safely, everyone can enjoy the Delta,” said Lieutenant Jose Beltran of the Contra Costa Sheriff’s Office.

Additionally, 11 marine patrol units from local, state and federal law enforcement agencies will be conducting a boating safety enforcement operation called Delta Blitz on Sunday, May 25, 2014. The multi-agency operation is intended to promote safe boating through education and strict enforcement on the waterways around Discovery Bay and Ski Beach.

The Contra Costa Sheriff’s Office Marine Services Unit would like to remind boaters of the following rules: -All vessels must have a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket for each person. The life jacket must fit the person intending to wear it. Children under 13 must wear a life jacket.

• You must be 16 years old or above to operate a power boat or personal watercraft. All persons on a personal watercraft are required to wear an approved life jacket.
  • Boats over 16 feet are required to have a throwable flotation device which must be readily accessible.
  • Always travel at a safe speed. Slow down in narrow channels and blind areas and navigate on the right side of the waterway. At a cross waterway, the boat on the right has the right of way.
  • Blue Light law — Any vessel approaching, overtaking, being approached, or being over-taken by a moving law enforcement vessel operating with a siren or an illuminated blue light, or any vessel approaching a stationary law enforcement vessel displaying an illuminated blue light, shall immediately slow. Boaters cannot make a wake near a law enforcement vessel displaying a blue light.
  • Always have an emergency kit that includes a flashlight, warm clothing, cell phone, VHF radio and chart. Boaters are encouraged to call Sheriff’s Dispatch at (925) 646-2441 for emergencies on the water. Be sure to file a float plan before you depart.

Boating under the influence (B.U.I.) enforcement will be a high priority. Those arrested for B.U.I. will face the same consequences as those who drive a motor vehicle under the influence, including fines and possible incarceration.

The ‘ABC’s of Boating’, a handbook of boating rules, is available from most boating shops. The Marine Services Unit will be distributing them this weekend as well. Boaters can also go to the California Department of Boating and Waterways website -dbw.ca.gov – for more boating safety information.

{ 14 comments }

1 Atticus Thraxx May 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM

So the Cossacks are on the roads, on the water, in the air, monitoring emails, web habits and phones/texts…when you they start popping up from underground?

2 Julio May 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM

My family does not go out on the boat Memorial Day week end or 4th of July and Labor Day. All the nuts who don’t know what they are doing are out and it isn’t safe.

3 Killjoy May 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I need to replace my flares, as my old ones have expired.
Anybody know where I can dispose of them? Or should I just shoot them off on the 4th of July? LOL

4 Killjoy May 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I’m right there with you Julio. It’s just too crazy out there to be able to enjoy myself.

5 Anon May 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Old flares can be donated to
The Coastguard auxiliary who uses them in training classes. Phone number like everything else is on the web.

6 Connie Dobbs May 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

So the cops are in boats citing everyone afloat and it turns into a Delta blitz?

7 MikeT May 24, 2014 at 12:30 PM

With ya Julio! It seems that on big weekends like this, the people that are to drunk to walk, jump in and drive their boats!

8 Killjoy May 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Thank you Anon at #5.
I have a buddy who’s in the Coast Guard. I’ll see if he can take them, or look for that number. :)

9 Pro Fi May 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Absolutely agree! Staying on land and at home this weekend. We joke on our finger that it is homecoming for all the wayward sailors. Killjoy, I think West Marine will take them off your hands as well to turn over to the CG, at least that used to. Worst day on the Bay has to be Opening Day though.

10 Killjoy May 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Thanks for the tips on the expired flares. My CG buddy suggests the fire dept.

11 nomesayin May 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM

That’s crazy that you can’t drink and drive your boat. This nation needs to calm down with all the rules and regulations.

12 Why comments are closed? May 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Why are comments closed to the Kid Fest? I took my kids there today and they had a great time.

13 57 Chevy May 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM

We have a boat, and we take it out holiday weekends. If I have 3 days off, I’m going for it.

I agree it probably isn’t worth it to some.

14 Tree Farm May 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM

@Atticus, Glad you don’t appreciate safe streets and waterways. Clearly, your life has never been effected by someone under the influence. Luckily for the rest of us, voices like yours are a small minority.

@nomesayin, I don’t know what you’re sayin. Nowhere does it say you can’t drink and boat. Boats are actually a lot less restricted than cars. You can have open containers in your boat. The same blood alcohol levels apply to boat drivers. Relax.