The Claycord Online Museum – The Old Sport Chalet on N. Main St. in Pleasant Hill

May 20, 2014 14:00 pm · 23 comments

sport_chalet

This is an advertisement for the old Sport Chalet on N. Main St. in Pleasant Hill.

Anybody remember this place?

Thanks to Carol Putman for sharing this advertisement, which was featured in the 1964 Diablo Valley College Ski Club brochure.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

{ 23 comments }

1 AnotherAnon May 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I still have some topo maps I bought there, when they were closing.

2 Silva May 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

All I remember is the name, but I think that was where my skis came from.

3 Noj May 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I remember the old Sport Chalet. Might be wrong but didn’t Bill Chaney Harley Davidson move into that building? I remember the “YE” in front of the phone number. Short for Yellowstone. Concord’s prefix was “MU” for Mulberry.

4 Outdoorsman May 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I purchased two long guns there in the early 1970′s & also a new set of snow skis with bindings and later some new ski boots and new bindings.
Great place. Miss them.
There is a Sports Chalet in Vacaville in Solano County, and the employees there are too young to know if they are or were affiliated with the one in Walnut Crik.

5 Jim May 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I worked there as a ski tech when I first moved to Northern California, circa 1982 or so. It was a very fun place to work. We used to ski down the stairs after hours on the rental skis. :)

6 Spanky Fortuna May 20, 2014 at 3:56 PM

My first tennis racket was purchased there. 1966

7 Anon May 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I remember driving by it all the time. That was before they widened that section of the road between Oak Park and Gregory. Wasn’t there a bar too? Right next to the HD dealer…g@y 90′s or something like that? I wasn’t old enough to go in but remember the name.

8 I'm The Urban Spaceman May 20, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I remember going to meet Catfish Hunter circa 1970-71.

Jim, Who was the owner of Sport Chalet?

9 MadMom May 20, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I remember that place. I loved the way it looked. I love seeing the old phone numbers. Danville was VE for Vernon.

10 Mike May 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I worked there for many years when it
Was Oshmans.
When it cl

11 Rumplestiltskin May 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Didn’t they have a rolling carpet hill to try skis on?

12 Fritzhugh Ludlow May 20, 2014 at 8:36 PM

When did North Main in Pleasant Hill become Contra Costa Blvd.? Sport Chalet was a cool sporting goods store in an A-Frame Building, much like the Newer building that is there now. In 1972 I bought My first backpack and My first .357 with curved wood grips there.

13 Old Gringo May 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I got signed baseballs there from Catfish Hunter and Paul Lindblad after Catfish threw his perfect game in May 1968. I think they were down there to sign the balls in early 1969.

14 I'm The Urban Spaceman May 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

1969 works for me regarding Catfish.

15 Scoots May 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

They always had a great lineup of Bear Recurve bows back in the 70′s.

16 dinkydau May 21, 2014 at 6:43 AM

I went in the back of the building during the winter and rented skis, until I got my own. I used to go there all the time. I remember the wood shake roof they had. From going there all the time, I go to know Skip. A classmate Mike Davis from PHHS worked there. Then it became Stans Sport Chalet. Same building. Then they tore it down and build the big A Frame building. They had a real good fishing and gun/hunting dept. to rival Hogan’s, which is now a furniture consignment store. After Stans it became Oshman’s for a few years and then closed. Bill Chaney was down the next block near where St. Vinnies is. There was a boat place and I always remember they had a big plywood box outside with wheels where they would run and test outboard engines. The next block was Gay 90′s Pizza and the Knotty Pine bar, owned by the Ferrant family who lived on Masefield.

17 JET May 21, 2014 at 7:09 AM

I remember Sports Chalet! Actually back in the late 70′s or early 80′s – my great grandmother lived behind Sports Chalet in one of those little mobile homes that used to be there….. I remember visiting her at age 4 or 5 back there!

18 Clayton CCC May 21, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I got my first pair of real “tennis” shoes there. They were Tretorn shores. I eventually went to work for Oshman’s Sporting goods after they took over the building. I worked in the Sun Valley mall store, but interviewed at the Chalet.

19 mik May 21, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I worked there when it was Oshmans (A-frame building)…When it closed down, they moved the store to the brand new builidings on Diamond blvd (where Mattress discounters is now – the old handyman)…great place to work!

20 Yep May 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Yes, it was not too far from the Gay ’90′s Bar (which btw, was not a gay bar)!

I’m sure that cause a lot of confusion in the day!

21 Mac May 22, 2014 at 7:56 AM

rented ski gear from there a couple times (only went twice)
and i drove by this place weekly, going to church on Sunnyvale.

Good old Pleasant Hill….It was an awesome place to grow up

22 Laura May 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I am looking for the name of the company who delivered VHS tapes to your door in the 1980′s. You hung a lock box by your door and it opened by a key. We live in Concord and just got rid of the box and keys a few years ago. Grateful for any help… Thanks.

23 Cowellian May 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Laura@22
I’m thinking it was Murphy’s.