BEWARE: Counterfeit Money Making its Way Around Claycord

May 18, 2014 11:00 am · 29 comments

money

This is a fake $50, and unfortunately, one business fell for the scam.

Here’s what one Claycordian said about the scam:

I work for a retailer in Concord and just wanted locals to know we have a scammer amongst us…This is the second counterfeit bill one of our cashiers has inadvertently accepted this week.

Unfortunately the cashiers did not notice and the scammer left scott free. Above is a picture of the most recent $50. As you can see the quality is quite poor when compared to a real $50.

Everybody keep your eyes out, we have to catch them in the act!

Sorry to hear, but thanks for the warning!

{ 29 comments }

1 Eric May 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Everyone checks the water mark, which can be replicated easily. Check the color shifting ink, it is nearly impossible to replicate. Also educate yourself on how to spot a fake on the Buraeu of Engraving and Printing, or US treasury website, it is worth looking up. I spotted quite a few fakes during my time working retail, fakes that my coworkers would have never spotted.

2 J R May 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Google “identify counterfeit bills”. can be quite helpful.
JR

3 common sense May 18, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I have always told our cashiers the best way to check a bill is to run your fingernail over the presidents lapel. If you don’t feel ridges in the lapel don’t accept the bill. It is very expensive and difficult to replicate the ridge texture on a bill and most counterfeit bills don’t pass this test. Looking for the security strip and using a pin to check the paper are good but can also be faked – the ridges in the lapel are harder to fake.

4 Pens DON'T Work May 18, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Before someone chimes in with “get a counterfeit pen” realize that ONLY checks the paper, NOT what is printed. Learn our money’s security features, that is the ONLY thing to protect yourself.

5 Claycordian May 18, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Omg I can’t. How could someone accept something so fake?

6 the other jj May 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM

dumb ass fof taking such poor quality!!!! inside job???

7 94598 May 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM

i dont get it- It looks real to me? What is so obvious- that I am missing

8 Cowellian May 18, 2014 at 12:49 PM

It’s not a problem for me, because I never have anything larger than a $3 bill on me.

9 Marianne May 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM

That is a really good counterfeit bill. I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

10 Shawna May 18, 2014 at 12:59 PM

We have been having a problem with $20.00 being passed at the schools as well as 5.00 it may need to come down to checking every bill you get

11 Dr. Jellyfinger® May 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM

#7 Well… for one thing, George Carlan was never President.

12 waverunner May 18, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Just for the heck of it, after doing some comparisons from the Bureau of Engraving site, I see these discrepencies:

- the number 50 in the bottom right corner does not look like the other 50′s in the other corners.
- there are buildings in the background that do not show on the legal bill unless I am missing something.
- the spacing of the serial numbers in the left top are not even

If anyone out there is reading, I would like to know if I am even close to guessing.

13 kw May 18, 2014 at 5:15 PM

@waverunnner…
On real bills, the “50″ on the bottom right corner color is printed in color shifting ink and is supposed to look distinctly different from the other three.

The buildings you see are from the backside of the bill. In the photo, it is being held up to the light which is allowing it to show through the paper.

As far as spacing, yes the serial numbers are always evenly spaced and extremely consistent in color and size.

14 kw May 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM

The most obvious part I can see (from the photo provided), is that there normally there is a us flag across the front of the bill, the blue field with stars being to the left of the portrait of Grant, and the red stripes to the right. You can faintly see the red stripes but no blue/stars to the left.

Plus I don’t see the large blue star over Grant’s left shoulder.

15 lloyd May 18, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Pretty sure it’s all counterfeit after 1971. Just saying. ….

16 joe citizen May 18, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Maybe it’s ALBERT BODDIE,counterfeit money passer and registred sex offender.Look him up on C website,it has his photo.

17 could it be a cashiers friend? May 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Who is sending different friends through as to never deal with the same customer twice??? Hmmmm…just a thought

18 M May 18, 2014 at 8:14 PM

“Unfortunately the cashiers did not notice and the scammer left scott free.” What if the person using it received it in change? Ever stop to think they might not be knowingly scamming? Can’t remember the last time I sat and stared at any bills, and they have changed enough over the years that I wouldn’t recall what an older one looked like. Certainly some younger cashiers would especially not know the difference. Hopefully retailers can emphasize the importance of recognizing counterfeit money, especially in a day and age where mostly cards are used. Maybe have pictures of real bills over the years and one of those color changing markers that reacts to the paper :)

19 foonman May 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Forty years ago, I sat and talked to a friend that worked with a FBI counterfeit unit in the thirties. All agents wore white shirts then and when in a hurry to establish guilt, they would spit on the green side (back side) of a bill and rub it on their shirt cuff. The government uses a soft dye and if the green showed on the cuff, it was real. If not, it was fake. Don’t know if this still holds today, and I wouldn’t encourage this kind of activity, but I have been carrying this information for many years…………tried a few times and it did work……………..

20 Bellarium May 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM

When I worked retail they were altering $5 and changing then to $20. They get pretty creative.

21 Ancient Mariner May 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I received a counterfeit $5 bill as change one night in a gas station in Berkeley, many years ago. In the light of day, it was a pretty poor specimen, but at night, in the rain, who looks that closely?

22 Wow May 18, 2014 at 11:58 PM

I was at a Chinese food place in Pittsburg today & they had several bills taped on their fridge that said FAKE across them. I’d attach a pic but it won’t let me here.

23 Michelle May 19, 2014 at 12:18 AM

@Ancient Mariner
Are you sure it was counterfeit? Might not have been maybe what you thought you saw you didn’t see…

24 anon May 19, 2014 at 3:33 AM

the only thing i maybe see is first, it appears that the bill is being held to the light so shouldnt the security strip show through?
then the numbers as waverunner stated on the left do look uneven.
and maybe the photo doesnt seem so lifelike as it should be.
other than that i don’t know what is so obvious about it.
some tellers told me to go by feel. as stated earlier, you feel a certain area and it should be rough.

25 Connie Dobbs May 19, 2014 at 8:12 AM

#17 Not if the cashier’s boss was like any I’ve worked for. It’s probably illegal to take the money lost out of the cashier’s pay, but it’s not like a cashier has the resources to fight.

26 tired of taxes May 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Other countries have adopted “different sized bills for different denominations” approach specifically for counterfeits of one denomination re-printed to a higher denomination (e.g. $1 bill “washed” and re-printed as a $50 or $100 bill).
Just institute a “photo with $50 or higher denomination cash purchase” and you’ll turn away most scammers trying to pull a fast one.

27 Local Guy May 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM

They may not want to post those bills so prominently. There’s no exclusion for chinese food places in the possession of counterfeit currency law.

28 nytemuvr May 19, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Looks like a young Al Sharpton below and left of the bottom serial number…

29 MDHS Grad May 19, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I also received a counterfeit $3 bill as change one time. It looked so real, I think it would have fooled anybody. When I tried to deposit it at my bank, they were fooled at first, too, but they said the blue lines on the binder paper it was printed on gave it away. And the fact that it had President Obama’s picture on it. So, watch out for these. They’re very believable.

A couple of friends and I were thinking of bleaching some 20s and reprinting them as 5s, but we decided that it wouldn’t be worth it if we got caught.