1,000 Animals in Care at Lindsay Wildlife Museum’s Rehabilitation Hospital – Volunteers Announce a $17,500 Challenge Match for Public Support

May 18, 2014 19:00 pm · 11 comments

Lindsay Wildlife Museum announced today that the animal rehabilitation hospital has treated more than 1,900 animals in 2014—1,000 of which are currently receiving care. This influx of patients includes hundreds of injured and orphaned baby animals. Especially now in the busy season, support from individual donors and companies makes a huge difference in the number of animals saved through treatment.

This week, Lindsay Wildlife Museum volunteers issued a “Volunteer Challenge” to the public to support a springtime drive for donations. Lindsay volunteers pledged that they will match gifts totaling up to $17,500 from new donors.

“The very first patients of the season in the wildlife rehabilitation hospital were a pair of baby Anna’s hummingbirds so small their nest fit inside the lid of an orange juice jug,” said Norma Bishop, executive director for Lindsay Wildlife Museum. “Like most animals we treat in the wildlife hospital, these hummingbirds require round-the-clock care. Frequently, a volunteer has committed more than 40 hours of selfless care for each animal before it can be released. Our volunteers’ service is all the more remarkable in light of the incredible match they have pledged.”

A look at the numbers:

• Each year volunteers contribute 50,000 hours of care
  • Lindsay Wildlife Museum invests $500,000 to treat wildlife patients
  • There are currently 1,000 animals in care at the rehabilitation hospital
  • During the busy season it takes 1,700 lbs. of kibble to feed the raccoons receiving care
  • A two-month supply of formula for baby mammals costs $400
  • The wildlife rehabilitation hospital treated 5,623 animals in 2013

“The true value of our work is to create safe and inspiring encounters between people and wildlife,” said Bishop. “Often our volunteers are the face of these positive interactions and this fundraising effort is no exception.”

To support Lindsay Wildlife Museum call 925-627-2961 or visit http://wildlife-museum.org/support.

1 Jojo potato May 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Raccoons are for the most part not “wildlife”. The ones around my house are simply parasites and destructive pests. I believe the Lindsay museum needs to rethink their mission. Not all animals need saving. Some, like our local flock of turkey’s should be removed or simply killed.

2 The Original Mr. Anon E. Mouse May 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM

The raccoons (and other pests, skunks, possums) can burn in h-e double L after getting the run around from the state and county about the racoons that attacked the feral mother I’ve been taking care of. I would have killed them the next time I saw them if it weren’t illegal.
But I loved this place as a kid and will make the effort to squeeze out the biggest small donation I can afford from my meager budget this month. For the avians, they do great work for the area birds!

3 The Original Mr. Anon E. Mouse May 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM

cat, feral mother cat. The mom of my four 3 year old cats. Bah, brain stopped working. Time for dinner.
Have a good weekend, Claycordians!

4 Marianne May 18, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Worthy cause! thank you for posting this Mayor. :-)

5 cf May 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM

This is a good cause. My hubby volunteered there in the animal hospital. He has cared for possums but not raccoons (need special training for that). We donated a used car earlier this year where they received $6000 at auction for it.

6 Mister Wister May 18, 2014 at 9:51 PM

@#1,
You’re a morons moron.

7 Momo May 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I wish they were more accepting of animals. I understand they have to draw the line somewhere but I have taken a few animals there that they would not take because they were not “native” to California. They were still injured and needed care.

8 BreakingJen May 19, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Donation made! I have fond childhood memories of this place and hope to bring my son when he is old enough to appreciate it. The previous posts really remind me that some people aren’t happy unless they can complain about something. Sheesh people, if you don’t like it, don’t donate. Pretty darn simple.

9 Constant Reader May 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM

The Lindsay Museum and animal hospital do great things for our community. Their educational programs for the kids are great. I am glad they are in our area taking care of so many injured animals.

10 Mrs KEJE May 19, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Lindsay Museum is an incredible organization in our community and they do so much wonderful work for our wildlife. The education programs they provide are great! I used to take my kids when they were little. I went there recently myself. The exhibits are very still very interesting and interactive. All the magnificent birds (the eagle with one wing is still there!!) and the other animals that live there are fascinating. The fox was one of my favorite. This is a very worthwhile cause! And every small donation helps!

11 Dogbert May 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

The one – winged eagle has died and the fox is no longer on display as the visitors stressed him out.

But it’s still a nice place.