UPDATE: Loud Rumbling Noise Heard Throughout Concord

May 17, 2014 · 58 comments

Anybody else hearing this?….

Hearing this rumble that sounds like a jet taking off but it only last for about 5 seconds and then stops and I’ve heard it about 6 times out here.

That note came from a Claycordian in the area of Bailey Rd. & Concord Blvd. in Concord.

UPDATE: We’re getting more reports from people off Kirker Pass, Bailey Rd., further down Concord Blvd., and a few more from N. Concord (all near the Naval Weapons Station). One other report came in from near Buchanan Field airport in Concord.

UPDATE, 8:19pm: This same thing happened in July of 2013 and also in September of 2013. At the time, nobody could say where it was coming from. Some suspected the noise was coming from the Tesoro Refinery in N. Concord, but they never were able to confirm the noise was coming from their property.

1 Me too May 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Yup. I live near there and I heard it too when I was walking the dog.

2 Your Neighbor May 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I’m paranoid too!

3 Hamilton May 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I live less than a block from the naval housing and I don’t hear anything at the moment however I know the sound you are talking about. I heard it back in September and it was incredibly loud and at first I thought I was hearing things but when my dogs started barking I went outside to investigate and it sounded like a jet engine that would gradually get louder and then fade out. It went on for at least 20 minutes. You could feel the vibration of it in the air when it would get to its loudest point, which made me feel like what ever it was it was large. Pretty eerie.

4 D-SHOT May 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Sorry. It was my stomach. I ate at cinco de mayo

5 Shelly May 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I heard it loud & clear many times, I’m around Clayton Rd. & Claycord Avenue. I kept looking into the sky and not seeing anything.

6 ClayDen May 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I didn’t hear it, but it smells like something is burning in or near Clayton.

7 Momo May 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I live at Denkinger rd and concord blvd. and I was hearing it. I did not hear it the other times though.

8 Antler May 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I live in the same general area. The sound was loud and very like an airliner with all it’s engines rumbling just fine……but the sound did not approach from a distance and move the way a plane would. The pattern was a SUDDEN five seconds of rumbling….then SUDDEN quiet for maybe eight seconds….repeated five or six times. The origin did indeed seem to be from the direction of Tesoro; and because I know the sound could not have been a commercial airliner, my next best guess would be that the refinery was blasting carbon and other gunk out of its stacks.

9 Antler May 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM

***** its engines. (I have the autofill blues….sorry.)

10 Mike May 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Have heard it in Pittsburg

11 Anonymous May 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Thought it might be thunder- consulted the lightning detector, but nada in No Cal. Misses heard it too. Farm Bureau and Concord B.

12 Suzanne May 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I haven’t heard anything all day.

13 Your Wife May 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

@ Hamilton #3: DON’T SPIT AT ME!!! GET THE BUSY BEE!!!

14 Your Wife May 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

@#2: You’re hecka funny! I should JYB!

15 The Theorist May 17, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Nothing to worry about, they are just rerouting the deep underground military base tunnels for the upcoming NWS redevelopment.

I’m sure TinFoiler can enlighten us better.

16 TesoroTom May 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Yep, its the Tesoro Refinery. We had an issue earlier with the pipes, it had a crack in it.

17 What Security May 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Trains?

18 EdiBirsan May 17, 2014 at 10:39 PM

It was just the full moon so clearly this is the mating call of the Corn Snake looking to lure it love to an Olive Garden in Concord and getting very frustrated.

19 Michelle May 17, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Is anyone still hearing the sounds, I couldn’t hear them but they are probably coming from Tesoro.

20 Freckles May 17, 2014 at 11:15 PM

I live near Buchanan Field and it sounded like a Lear jet starting and stopping it’s engines several times. It was around 11:45 this morning.

21 12GAUGE May 17, 2014 at 11:48 PM

well claycord, if I would’ve known you were gonna post part of my email I would’ve made it a bit more detailed! haha. like someone said above, it did sound like an airliner or fighter jet and sounded either pretty close, or really big. nothing in the sky. sounded like it may have been coming from Buchanan but I doubt it. I heard the rumble probably 10 times before I stopped paying attention. and it lasted from 1-6 seconds each time. it is totally plausible that someone has a jet powered race car or motorcycle in our area and was just firing it up to keep it working well or something. but I don’t think so. personally, I’d like answers. I don’t accept that it was Tesoro. if it was, then we’d know cuz it would’ve been an earthquake for people who live close. I doubt it was from that NWS building close to bailey all covered by the grove of trees they planted there. It was weird, close, and I don’t know why there’s no explanation for it.

22 12GAUGE May 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM

oh, and I sent that email at 8:04pm and I had heard the rumblings for probably about 10 minutes prior to sending that

23 Momo May 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM

@ freckles
This was going on this evening. If you heard something this morning it was something different.

24 Joey May 17, 2014 at 11:58 PM

I was out with a friend 5 minutes ago right down the road from kurker pass I heard a really loud bell with a rumble.

25 PaulWalker May 18, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Its just me and my Honda Civic’s HKS exhaust pipe.

26 VikingPrincess May 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM

I remember that rumbling sound last year. Was not in town at the time mentioned (maker faire). Will keep my ears on. Otherwise, just owls, spiders and racoon’s the last few nights.

27 mike May 18, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Could be the governments “haarp” program… I’ve heard that whenever it misses the ocean it creates a weird rumbling noise on land.

28 HAARP May 18, 2014 at 5:22 AM

It’s definitely HAARP right here in action in our own backyards. Wake up ppl!

29 Sheldon May 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM

I love near Concord Blvd. and Bailey, and I heard just what Antler, #8 said.

“The sound was loud and very like an airliner with all it’s engines rumbling just fine……but the sound did not approach from a distance and move the way a plane would. The pattern was a SUDDEN five seconds of rumbling….then SUDDEN quiet for maybe eight seconds….repeated five or six times.”

It was really odd, and I too would love to know what it was all about!

30 Aspirin May 18, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Motorcycles?

31 Shelly May 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM

@EdiBirsan, oh my! ;)

32 devin May 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Underground city in CLAYCORD

33 What Security May 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM

someone moving their meth labs from kirkerpass to P of Chicago?

34 Futurama May 18, 2014 at 9:30 AM

It was probably one of the turbine generators used for back up power. They are essentially jet engines, Tesoro has their heads so far up their rears they probably have no idea when testing is done on it’s own hardware.

35 Iris Hill May 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Some hilarious comments. Love them! We are in Monte Gardens and we heard It, too. Couldn’t place it, tho.

36 Connie Dobbs May 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM

The sewer bears are coming out of hibernation.

37 Andrea May 18, 2014 at 10:49 AM

This has started again. I live across from Buchanan Air Field. In the past 15mins I have heard it twice. It does sound like a jet getting ready to take off but no plane goes up. Pretty strange.

38 Marianne May 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM

lol EdiBirsan–did it work?

39 Antler May 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Aspirin at #30…. No similarity …. not in any respect… to motorcycles.

If this IS a Tesoro operation”, and if it IS legitimate….then they still should give our communities explanations and prior warnings when one of their “events” is scheduled. Dare we hope that Bay Area Air Quality will investigate this, cite someone if necessary, and report to Claycord?

40 wolfman May 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Might be a train starting up and moving boxcars around out in one of those bunker tunnels out there on NWD land.

41 Suzanne May 18, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Antler, I really doubt if that will happen.

42 Could be a jet engine run-up at Buchanan May 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM

sound can travel quite a ways. I remember back in Navy, we could hear carrier launches from 30 miles away over the horizon.

43 Teacher Wannabe May 18, 2014 at 1:40 PM

After reading some of the comments,mI’m wondering why MY post was deleted.

44 grewah May 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM

No worry. It is just the mothership from Zorka. Replenishing supplies to the ground bases before the takeover of earth.

45 Shelly May 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Hmm, I’m sure I’d feel better if we could have a reasonable explanation.

46 CeeMee May 18, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Just heard it again. North Concord Sun Terrace area.

47 Gesidi May 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Actually heard it that time! A friend called me and said that her husband smelled a “chemical smell in the air”. Could be Tesors, they live about two miles from me.

48 Tripn May 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Pretty clouds and rainbow? It was that jumbo jet spurting out those chemicals on us about every six seconds. hmmm

49 No Chicken little May 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM

My cousins uncle’s sister told me, it a secret government project to eradicate Corn snakes using high-altitude drones. Those pretty clouds are actually chem trails.

50 Connie Dobbs May 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM

#49 Is your cousin’s uncle’s sister your mom, or your aunt? Just curious.

51 frenchdog May 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM

We need answers before mass hysteria infects us all . Send in the national guard, call the F.B.I. .Where,s the Mayor ? Oh please god help us all . We need answers

52 Marianne May 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Most definitely heard it a few minutes ago! I think it is Tesoro.

53 Anonymous May 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Typical Klingon foreplay. Anyone who had seen them take over a planet will recognize this sound. Third time for me and I’m tired if being run off the planet by them.

It will get ugly soon. The phantom is part of the advance guard.

54 Killjoy May 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Easy with the National Guard crap. Look what happened in Ohio.

“Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We’re finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We’re finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.”

55 Klingon Woman May 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

@Anonymous
yes, it is only foreplay…

56 anonymous activist and realist May 19, 2014 at 1:39 PM

People think the naval weapon station is not active and sold to developers… This makes me lol. People think there are not silo’s in those hills haha. People hear jet engines purging and are mind blown to what it is. People do you really believe the nuclear missles where removed from the NWS in the mid/late 90s?
If you do. You are what we call “alseep”.. Please #wakeup
Why are federal vehicles patrolling “land sold to developers”
Why 2 months ago did I see federal police at 3am with a construction crew of 5, on baily road beefing up the barbed wire fencing, if the government “sold” and decommissioned the NWS, why is there federal movement, new bunkers (seen near orange shipping cratesfrom willow pass road) installed and why are we hearing missiles purging their engines?
If you don’t know why, and want more info check out “storm clouds gathering” on YouTube.
And pay attention to what the heck our leaders are doing (by getting off CNN/fox news and tuning into non biased media outlets, sorry found on internet only.. See http://rt.com … Npr (national public radio) is decent. As well as Huffington post.
And if you want the news (not seen on TV) for northern California/bay area (besides our wonderful claycord area) check out on Facebook https://facebook.com/AnonymousNorthernCalifornia?slog=96&seq=290704513&rk=0&fbtype=65&rfid=46

57 you're ignorant May 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Anyone who thinks this sound is the Tesoro refinery obviously has no clue as to the operating standards a California refinery has to abide by. There are many regulations that if broken the refinery is penalized and fined. The environmental board is in the refinery almost everyday and if there was any kind of unscheduled event Tesoro is required by law to inform the public. As far as some kind of backup turbine generator being “tested” Tesoro has no such equipment and even if they did you wouldn’t be able to hear it from Pittsburgh. You people should check your facts before making wild accusations.

58 Atticus Thraxx May 22, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Me specifically or everyone is ignorant? Nothing calms a community like a hostile refinery worker.
#56 Your first two sentences ended with ‘lol’ and ‘haha’. I utterly and completely lost interest.