Two Clayton Valley Charter High School Students Plan 5K to Run Malaria Out of Africa

May 16, 2014 16:55 pm · 16 comments

Run Malaria out of Africa

Two Clayton Valley Charter High School students are planning a 5K fun/run on May 17th (tomorrow) to help raise funds to run malaria out of Africa.

Hayley Herrera and Conner Smith say “Malaria claims the lives of 483,000 children per year—90% of those in Africa. That’s 1,300 kids who lose their lives to a mosquito bite every day. We need to close the gap to keep the drive toward zero malaria deaths going. Without sustained and predictable long-term funding, the gains we’ve made could even be reversed. While not all adult cases of malaria are fatal, the disease keeps adults out of work and robs families of precious disposable income. In all,malaria costs Africa an estimated $12 billion a year in lost productivity.

Please click on the flyer shown above to register and learn more about the event.

{ 16 comments }

1 Hockeymom May 16, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Wish I had heard about this sooner! I would have registered!

2 Babs May 16, 2014 at 7:36 PM

the meds for this are so important. I take them for my renal failure and I swear that is what is keeping me alive. Cross purpose meds are great!

3 Senior at CVCHS May 16, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Such a good cause!!! I’m so proud of my friends! Please support!!

4 Michelle May 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Noble cause! Way to go CVCHS!

5 Clayton Squirrel May 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Super cool!

6 Shelly May 17, 2014 at 10:05 AM

What a fabulous goal to strive for. I wish you all the success in the world!

7 Upset jet May 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM

How about you help out the people in your own town,county,state or country. Why waste your money on a bunch of africans when you could be helping out your own people here at home. Have fun wasting your time and raising money for a cause thats not going to work. Shame on you. The truth hurts.

8 nytemuvr May 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

@Upset jet #7
Agreed!

9 at #7 & 8 May 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Cry babies!!! I bet u don’t have enough brain function to start a fund raise of any kind.People here don’t need help with malaria but I can see that you need help controlling your selfishness.
I’m proud of the kids organizing the event. God bless your cause….
We need more young people like you.

10 at #7 & 8 May 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Ghhghjjjj

11 mwo1859 May 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I myself dislike this. Lets help children here in the US that are starving. The money for your cause is going straight to the government.

12 Cowellian May 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Once you start telling people which causes they must donate to, it’s no longer charity.

I don’t have a lot of money to donate, so I’m pretty picky about who I give it to. And when someone tells me that I should be giving my money to a better, or a more appropriate cause, their arguments usually fall on deaf ears.

13 mwo1859 May 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM

So I said something wrong? I am sorry lets help our own people.

14 Cowellian May 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM

mwo1859, please do. I approve of people being charitable, especially if they pick a cause that’s important to them.

15 m4m May 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM

KUDOS! To CVCHS students. Also, sharing another effort here. Lots of opportunities to help. It takes oh so little to intervene and prevent children dying and mothers losing their babies. https://thecoastnews.com/2014/05/don-your-dresses-for-the-mothers-day-swim/

16 57 Chevy May 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM

This is a very worthy cause. Any charitable act is a good thing.