UPDATE: Person Struck & Killed by BART Train in Pleasant Hill

May 15, 2014 · 26 comments

A person was struck and killed by a train at the Pleasant Hill BART station this morning, shutting down the station and prompting delays of about 20 minutes, a BART spokeswoman said.

Officers were notified that someone had been struck by a train at the Pleasant Hill station at 1365 Treat Blvd. in unincorporated Walnut Creek around 10:05 a.m., BART spokeswoman Alicia Trost said.

BART police located the person, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Trost said BART police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the collision.

Trains are single-tracking through the area but are not stopping at the Pleasant Hill station.

The closure has prompted delays of about 20 minutes on the Pittsburg/Bay Point line, Trost said.

RELATED STORY: UPDATE w/AUDIO: BART Train Reportedly Strikes Pedestrian at the Pleasant Hill Station

1 Dorothy May 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Feel sorry for the train operator and everyone who saw this happening.

2 Chris May 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I feel bad for the people who had to witness this happening more so then I do the person who actually died. If it was by accident my condolences but if it was suicide I do feel bad but more so angry especially if there were children around and for those who had to witness it because that is not something that you can witness and then not think about for days to come.

3 Terrible May 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM

RIP to this man. And, I am sorry for everyone involved. Very disturbing to the BART operator and witnesses.

4 Anon May 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I was on the Montgomery Station platform during the suicide attempt a few weeks ago. The women actually took a running start and jumped off the platform into the path of a westbound train pulling into the station during rush hour. While I did not see the women jump, I heard the impact of her body hit the train and was caught in the chaos that followed – running, screaming, panic. It was personally traumatizing and I never want to experience it again. While I understand these individuals are suffering and are in a tremendous amount of pain, so much so that they see death as the only option to end their suffering, it is such a narcissistic and selfish act to attempt suicide in front of innocent bystanders. And that poor train operator. They know it’s not “if,” but rather “when” they have to experience this awful avoidable tragedy because it’s just a matter of time during their career. I did not sleep well for a while after this incident. I can still hear the sounds from that event like it was yesterday. What’s more, I often panic when I am on the BART platform as soon as I hear a train pulling into the station because I am afraid that I will again be there for another suicide attempt. The likelihood of this seems certain since this is my second experience with a BART jumper in a few months. The last time, I was on the actual train that the person decided to jump in front of. :(

5 Misunderstood May 15, 2014 at 12:50 PM

@Chris — suicide is so misunderstood. Often times it’s a cry for help. In any case, it’s terrible for the survivors, but also for the deceased. The pain this man must have been feeling leading up to the event was awful for him. I wish he had gotten help before this tragedy.

6 Thomas. May 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM

So sad for the train operator, the witnesses and the family and friends of whomever was struck by the train. That is something that nobody should ever have to witness. As someone who has struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts at one point years ago, I just can’t imagine someone committing suicide (if that is what happened here) in such a public way. Fortunately I never attempted it, but I never thought once of doing it publicly. Sad that some people feel the need to share this with so many innocent people when they do it.

7 Peter May 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Remember suicide generally is not thought out. Its an act of impulsiveness. Its easy to blame but we have all made irrational decisions in life… Think about what the trolls say in Frozen

“We’re only saying that love’s a force
That’s powerful and strange.
People make bad choices if they’re mad,
Or scared, or stressed.
Throw a little love their way.”

8 Triple Canopy May 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM

“Pedestrian”? Did the train jump off the track?

These headlines seems to suggest that a person was casually walking by and then “WHAM!”, a BART train hit ‘em.

9 russ May 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Unincorporated? With all of those corporate offices surounding it?

10 Bob May 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM

So sad for the train operator,

They know this is part of the job & they are paid very well for showing up to work & letting the computer run the railroad. If they do not like this– there are plenty of people who would love the job/$$/perks.

11 Elwood May 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM

“BART police located the person”

Way to go, BART pretend police!

Really difficult to find a dead body under a train.

Did they have to call a sergeant to approve their find?

12 Mr. Pink May 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM

As an FYI, BART seems to be running without any issues. Just got into Concord from Oakland about 20 min ago.

13 Dorothy May 15, 2014 at 3:35 PM

@Anon #4 Such a horrible experience. Sending cyber hugs your way.

14 soccermom May 15, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I pray for this persons family,and for the witnesses, I know what they are going through. A couple of years ago someone decided to jump of the overpass in Pleasant hill and hit the car in front of me, I had to swerve to miss him, it was one of the worst things I’ve ever witnessed. The sounds played over and over in my head for months.I’ve also had a family member commit suicide. Public suicide is very selfish.

15 VikingPrincess May 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Is there any other place in the world that has public transportation via train that has taken measures to deter suicides on the tracks? Anyone know?
I do not recall this in my travels on the East coast or EU, but that was years ago.
Now hospital & hotel windows cannot open because of jumpers…not to mention bridges. These precautions have been taken over the past 20 years or less…
Perhaps Bart needs to look at another safety model that works for others..

Sorry to hear this…terrible

16 Jill May 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM

People like to call suicide selfish and something about being angry instead of empathetic makes people feel like they need to express it. But people are thinking about this all wrong. We take a sound, reasoning mind, and apply logic and consequence to the thought process of the suicide victim. A broken arm doesn’t lift things and a broken leg doesn’t walk. A broken brain doesn’t think straight. I have a friend whose suicide note said it best “you will say I am selfish for ending my life. I say you are selfish to want me to remain another day in this torment.” HOW someone chooses to do the unthinkable should not be judged as a moral failing or a character defect anymore than how someone looks as they are eaten away by a flesh eating virus should be judged as a fashion statement. Have compassion for all! Life’s fragile. Stuff breaks. People die. Peace.

17 TinFoiler May 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Jill, Very well put.
What pleasure is there for someone to die suffering in agony and pain? We don’t allow that for our pets – why should it be any different for loved ones.
It’s a mean world. And this Video Proves that it is for those that want proof:

18 VikingPrincess May 15, 2014 at 6:11 PM

@Jill
Good post and a good understanding of the human condition ;)

19 anon May 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM

My daughter of college age had to see this man jump and witness blood splatter and the sound of bones being crushed. Having a wonderful Day.

20 sam May 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM

@Jill… thank you.

@anon.. people who contemplate suicide are tormented by Demons, for which, they feel they can’t escape, when or where these tormented souls finally consumate their act of suicide is often times being, just on the “spur of the moment”, split second impulse.

21 Linzer Torte May 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM

@Jill, I think you make some very good points. Even as the grieving sister of a suicide victim, I think it is selfish for us to expect those suffering through such anxiety, pain, and hopelessness to continue living for our benefit. However, committing suicide in a public way that affects unsuspecting and uninvolved people is the most self-centered thing I could imagine. This just creates other mental health victims, or exacerbates the issues of those already struggling. If one feels the need to die, they should be allowed to die. But they should do it away from the public.

22 family friend May 21, 2014 at 8:15 AM

It wasn’t a suicide.

23 TB May 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Has the name of the victim been released to the public yet? I haven’t seen anything and was just curious who it was? I pray that it isn’t a friend of mine. :(

24 Cowellian May 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

TB, I posted this earlier on a different thread, but according to the Times, the man who jumped in front of the train was Navid Ebrahim, aged 46.

25 TB May 21, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Thanks Cowellian!

26 Al May 28, 2014 at 9:09 PM

How you guys jumped into the conclusion that it was a SUICIDE?, where you all obtained that news while still the BART authorities haven’t issued a FORMAL statement about the incident. What about the police and BART security report?. Do any of you know if they issued the result of their investigations after reviewing the video? please if you aware of any of these reports post it. Thanks