UPDATE: Motorcyclist Killed in Crash on Willow Pass Rd. Near Hwy. 4

May 15, 2014 13:00 pm · 15 comments

A motorcyclist was killed when he slammed into a car making a U-turn on a small road off of state Highway 4 in Concord this morning, a
California Highway Patrol officer said.

The collision happened just before 7 a.m. near the intersection of Willow Pass and Avila roads, according to the CHP.

A 20-year-old Pleasant Hill man was driving a 1991 red Honda Prelude east on Avila Road and made a U-turn on the dead-end street, CHP Officer John Fransen said.

The motorcyclist, a 29-year-old Richmond resident, was also headed east and crashed his 1991 Suzuki into the side of the Honda as it was turning
around.

He was rushed to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek but died from his injuries at the hospital.

Investigators are trying to figure out what caused the collision and are looking into the possibility that the motorcyclist was speeding,
Fransen said.

Anyone who witnessed the crash has been asked to call the CHP at 925-646-4980.

RELATED STORY: One Person Dead After Vehicle -vs- Motorcycle Crash on Willow Pass Rd. in Concord

1 Possibility the motorcyclist was speeding? May 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM

How about the “possibility” that some idiot made an unsafe u-turn in front of the motorcyclist and killed him?

2 Cal Old Blue May 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Sunrise is at 6am.

Portions of eastbound Avila go directly in the direction of the rising sun.

There are curbs on that road, so anybody trying to do a u-turn would have to make several back-and-forths to complete the turn, this would take some time.

Not much else to say; chances are the cyclist did not see him due to looking straight into the sun.

3 Blinker? May 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM

There is also the possibility that the Honda did not indicate it was making a “left” and in setting up for the U-turn pulled far to the right, so the motorbike would have been unaware of the left-turn intent of the driver.

I’ve seen several situations like this while in a car, with a lost driver in front of me who did not check behind them on a quiet sidestreet. So concentrated on what they need to do to get where they are going, they forget the possibility of others behind them.

4 Stella May 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I vote the car made an unsafe U-turn! Ride and drive safe people.

5 I'm just saying.... May 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I was making a left turn with my left blinkers on and a guy on one of those “rice rockets” passed me on my left while I was making my left turn. I just missed him by inches. And, he had the nerve to turn around and look at me like it was my fault. Maybe this is what happened…maybe it was the same guy..sorry to hear he died. Some motorcyclist on rice rockets drive way too fast.

6 91 Honda vs 91 Suzuki May 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Sounds like a couple of hard working guys trying to make a living, not exactly living the “American Dream”. Now, one’s gone and the other’s life will never be the same. God bless them both, and their families.

7 Clayanon May 15, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I was driving down a residential street when the car in front of me pulled to the curb and stopped. Just as I got to where she was “parked” she turned on her left blinker and started to go left, I guess into her driveway. I slammed on my brakes, honked and pulled left. I missed her. Maybe the same thing happened to the motorcycle driver. The lady I almost hit didn’t look to see if there was oncoming traffic (BTW there was also a car coming in the opposite direction).

8 ConcordMike May 15, 2014 at 3:35 PM

This paragraph doesn’t make sense…
“A 20-year-old Pleasant Hill man was driving a 1991 red Honda Prelude east on Avila Road and made a U-turn on the dead-end street, CHP Officer John Fransen said.”
If someone makes a U-Turn on a dead end road, then where was the motorcycle headed?
Either way, I ran into the same situation when I was younger near Watsonville. I was making a multi-point U-Turn on a two lane road, and instead of stopping to et me complete my u-turn, some idiot decided to drive around me and up a slight hill. Nearly created an accident.

9 Jerk May 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

NOBODY uses turn signals!!! It’s like you’ll get AIDS or Cancer if you do. Sad, but True and YOU ALL know it!!!

10 ClayDen May 15, 2014 at 7:05 PM

@Jerk

It’s so bad, that even if I see someone using their turn signal I don’t trust that they did it on purpose.

11 GPGL May 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

The motorcyclist was going an excessive speed on a long blind road. The driver of the Prelude was making a U-Turn on a (double yellow) road to park on the other side. That side happens to be where dozens of construction workers park alongside the road to walk to their nearby job.

*I was extremely close to the scene of the collision.

12 ferenc May 16, 2014 at 9:27 AM

according to google maps street view,
looks like it’d be illegal to make u turns along Avila, as it’s a double yellow.
look twice,
ferenc

13 Cal Old Blue May 16, 2014 at 9:49 AM

from the CVC:

(d) The markings as specified in subdivision (a), (b), or (c) do not prohibit a driver from crossing the marking if (1) turning to the left at an intersection or into or out of a driveway or private road, or (2) making a Uturn under the rules governing that turn, and the markings shall be disregarded when authorized signs have been erected designating offcenter traffic lanes as permitted pursuant to Section 21657.

Yes, there ARE cases where you can make a Uturn over a double yellow.

14 @13 May 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Please take your facts and go home. You’re completely ruining our wild speculation. kthnxbai.

15 nytemuvr May 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM

@ConcordMike #8
Sorry I did that, didn’t know it was a fellow Concordian. I was lost, trying to get to the racetrack and was confused then, more than I am now.