One Person Dead After Vehicle -vs- Motorcycle Crash on Willow Pass Rd. in Concord

May 15, 2014 10:18 am · 31 comments

One person was killed in a crash involving a car and a motorcycle near Highway-4 in Concord this morning, a California Highway Patrol officer said.

The collision happened just before 7 a.m. near the intersection of Willow Pass and Avila roads, according to the CHP.

The motorcyclist is believed to have been the person killed in the crash, CHP Officer Kevin Bartlett said. The name of the victim was not yet being released.

An off-duty Oakland police officer, fire and medical crews responded to the scene, Bartlett said.

Information about what caused the crash was not immediately available and the incident is under investigation, according to the CHP.

{ 31 comments }

1 Michelle May 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Praying for the family…any more updates on this please.

2 Catlarson May 15, 2014 at 10:28 AM

God bless

3 ANON May 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM

If you ever saw the illegal/unsafe lane splitting that goes on at that area/hour– no wonder this happened.

Lets wait for the full details

Bur remember–they will take off your $400 side mirror & never stop & flip you off in a heartbeat as they own the road

4 Lost and Happy May 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM

@ # 3 stay classy, RIP rider and condolences to family and friends

5 ihaveajob May 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM

6 REALLY!!!??? May 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM

@ANON #3 its NOT illegal to split lanes…..NOW do some do it unsafe yes I have seen it! I also see cars move to the line when they see bikes coming to keep them from splitting! Hence BYE BYE mirror! both are wrong! I’m a huge supporter for motorcycles…..AND as usual there is the few people that give ALL a bad name…………

7 REALLY!!!??? May 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM
8 Bill May 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Every day I see Motorcyclists “attempting suicide” the way they drive and lane split throughout the Bay Area!! I NEVER lane split above 25mph, what’s the point unless you want to have a 100% higher chance of getting hurt. BTW, those White cargo vans that are literally everywhere weigh almost 9000 Lbs!! Cut one off and brake real hard in front of them; instant panini!!

9 Horse n around May 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I also ride a motorcycle. And when I’m driving my truck, I try to be courteous to fellow bike riders. But I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten the finger or the revving of their engine as they pass by. Maybe because I didn’t pull to the enough to the right when they are lane splitting, or they decided to weave in and out of traffic and I didn’t move out of their way. I don’t know. I know my limitations when I ride and I don’t feel comfortable doing some of the things these guys do. It’s bad enough having to pay attention to some of the idiots in cars, let alone some of the idiots on bikes.

10 Nuttsie the Nutter May 15, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Of course it was the motorcyclist’s fault. There is no way that any of the drivers involved were texting,putting on makeup, using their laptop etc. Always blame the unsafe motorcycle rider.

11 Troy May 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I ride a motorcycle every day and people like anon are the kind of people who think its funny to try to pinch a motorcycle when they trying to split lanes because they think its illegal. What they fail to realize is that is how you kill someone that decided to take a quicker and more fuel efficient way home.PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR MOTORCYCLISTS

12 DMZ May 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I ride and I DON’T split lanes. My choice.
I am always careful when I hear or see a motorcycle when in my car.
We don’t know what happened so let’s be kind.
A person is dead.
Show some respect.

13 REF May 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Claycord Commenters Rule No. 14. Sec. 10- All Motorcycle accidents will automaticaly become the riders fault, and shall be followed by a lengthy, useless discussion about lane splitting.

14 fred May 15, 2014 at 12:04 PM

“@ANON #3 its NOT illegal to split lanes”They way to is done is illegal…per DMV – not illegal per code but rarely done that way

15 fred May 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM

“THIS PERSON “ANON” should be banned from posting on tbis website. Everything his says is offensive, insensitive, and inconsiderate! !”

I thought this was a blog & you could have different opinions from other people or is this another country & I have t agree with you all the time ??

16 BikerChick May 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM

May this person RIP.

Lane splitting is not illegal in CA. I see many car drivers trying to cut off bikers when they are trying to lane split. Those who do this should be cited. Bikers have no protection around them. Be glad that bikers can cut through traffic. It cuts down on congestion.

17 BagsFlyFree May 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM

RIP
Knowing the condition of most of the roads/drivers in Concord, you really are risking your safety riding anything on just two wheels. Lane splitters should be mandated to wear bright yellow jackets to alert other drivers if they routinely split.. You can’t be in all black riding/passing my blind spot expecting to be seen.

18 Stella May 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM

RIP
Ride safe, Riders. Condolences to the family and friends of this person.

19 @ fred May 15, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Anon is just a bully and really everything he/she says is a reflection of his/her character.

20 dbc May 15, 2014 at 12:50 PM

My Condolences to the motorcycle rider and his family. How did the subject of lane splitting get into this? The article clearly states the driver of the Prelude did a U-turn in front of the motorcycle and the motorcycle t-boned the car.
Lane splitting, which is legel, had nothing to do with this tragic event.
For the long time readers of this blog, you know my position on lane splitting, but now is not the time to discuss it.

21 Dave May 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Instead of new laws, how about drivers try to follow the existing laws a little more closely, like using their turn signals, checking blindspots, and not making phone calls, texting, red light running?

RIP rider, I hope it wasn’t someone I know.

22 James H May 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I feel like riders could wear a giant flashing light on their heads and a neon orange bodysuit and certain drivers still wouldn’t see us. I have a few videos on YouTube that I have taken with my helmet cam showing just how oblivious and/or idiotic people can be. I’ve even run into a few of those who intentionally block me when lane-sharing.

Reading this article, I’m trying to imagine the scenario and am trying to imagine how this could have been avoided. The answer is that both the rider and the car driver share responsibility to look out for each other. So many of these accidents end with the driver saying “I never saw him there” If drivers were more aware of their surroundings and if the rider makes sure he’s either seen these accidents can be avoided.

My condolences to the family and godspeed to another lost fellow rider.

23 JET May 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I have always tried to be very aware of my surroundings and always try my best to watch for motorcyclists, and allow them space if possible. However, it seems like on a couple of occasions when I was unable to move out of the way of a motorcyclist who was screaming through rush hour traffic, he got upset and flipped me off?!! Everyone needs to take a chill pill and settle the f–k down. Seriously.

24 Cowellian May 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM

dbc@20, I don’t doubt what you have said, but you must have seen a different article about the crash.

I agree with what Dave@21 said, but I would think it’s in all motorcycle riders’ best interest to also follow traffic laws. Anon@3, never said that all lane splitting is illegal, and we all have seen the illegal/unsafe actions described in #3, although that doesn’t appear to be the case here.

Rest in peace!

25 Bob May 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Yo – Dave–you said:

How about the M/C riders obey all the law also — I can give you a list of what I see every day & they all are illegal & unsafe acts.

26 Pleasant Hill Resident I May 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers go out to the rider’s family.

27 Goose May 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Just to let Anon know, lane splitting is legal in the state of California. It’s people like you that make the roads dangerous because you don’t even know the law of the road !

28 Goose May 15, 2014 at 5:49 PM

P.S. Cutting off a bike that is splitting lanes IS ILLEGAL!

29 Kirk May 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I drive at least 100 miles a day from Concord to Fremont, Livermore, or Vacaville. Been doing it for eight years. To be honest I’ve never seen a car try and block a biker. I’ve seen cars try and change lanes with blinkers on and riders not care. I even saw one rider do that to another.

What I think is interesting, and I’ve been thinking about it since the last rider was run over is this. I’ve never seen a BMW motorcyclist with the hard saddle bags driving like an ass. Lane splitting sure, but as established that isn’t illegal.

I wonder if it’s because certain personality types are drawn to certain types of bikes. Harleys seem 25/75 (that’s 75% regular guy going someplace). Rice rockets about 80/20, (that’s 80% not smart with a gross misunderstanding of physics). I saw own guy on a crotch rocket going 30mph over traffic speeds of 45. His rear tire was almost flat. I felt bad I couldn’t wave him at the danger. He’s probably dead or still washing his underwear.

I’m still more worried about people using iPhones (and medicated people around Alamo).

Everybody really does need to calm down though. Damn, go to work five minutes early, get their alive, or be like me and get paid by the hour to drive around.

30 T'sMom May 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I will never understand why a person in a Vehicle
Gets so offended by a Motorcycle moving ahead
Of them, splitting lanes? I ALWAYS move over to
Accommodate! Very sad for this person and his family!

31 Lynn May 18, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I know both the motorcyclist and the driver, both young workers for a company on Avila. The accident occurred on Avila Rd, in front of the Concord Police academy. The driver made an illegal U turn as the motorcyclist was flying up. If you’re familiar with that road, you’d know that in the morning the sun hits your face as you’re driving up, more reason to be cautious and go slow.. But anyway, the motorcycle hit the car at full speed on the drivers side. The motorcyclist died instantly, it was a combination of excessive speed and the cars illegal U turn… Very sad incident, they were both on their way to work for the same company.