Woman Dead After Officer-Involved Shooting in Downtown Concord

May 15, 2014 22:16 pm · 132 comments

cpd_shooting

An Officer in Concord shot and killed a woman who they say was suicidal near Baldwin Park on Thursday night, according to the Concord Police Department.

At 5:37 p.m, police say a woman called from a house in the 2700 block of Pacheco St., near Beach St. reporting someone was trying to kill her. The woman then said she was suicidal, police said.

Officers responded and encountered a woman in possession of a handgun. The woman raised the handgun at the officers and she was shot by a Concord Police Officer, police said. Emergency medical aid was summoned for the woman, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Officer Involved Fatal Incident Protocol was invoked and the incident is currently being investigated by the Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office and the Concord Police Department.

No Officers or any other people were injured.

The woman’s identity has not been released.

Thanks to Jacob for the picture of the scene.

101 Anonymous May 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Amazing how many experts we have posting here, from Lisa with her shoot them in the leg, to the folks that like shooting beans at them, to the expert negotiators. Oh and the TASER lovers. Mustn’t forget them.

Any number of people here that know exactly what should have been done.

Fact is all those cool ideas go out the window when someone points a gun at at cop. He needs to react RFN to stay alive.

102 @Nutsie #92 May 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM

It means we should focus on laws that punish people for using guns to commit crimes. That is very different from banning high-capacity magazines, or certain guns that look scary. Can you see the difference? One affects criminals, and the other only affects those who follow the law.

103 Lisa May 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Again anonymous, I never claimed to be an expert, which is why I asked the question. Now if I took the information that was given to me and still said; “should have shot her in the leg” then I’d see your issue. But I did not. What I did, was take the information and learned from it. I now understand why it happened the way it did. Still tragic nonetheless. But completely justifiable. I would appreciate it if you would kindly stop digging at me.
As an educator, I have always told my students that the only stupid question is the one unasked. It is sad, that as adults we can be judged by our lack of knowledge, when we seek to gain knowledge.
@ ranchgirl, thank you. I wish you a wonderful day as well.

104 Janet May 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Lisa, I felt EXACTLY like you until I went one time to a gun range and shot a gun. I was shocked at how difficult it was to even hit the target that was not at all far from me. I have good hand eye coordination and never once even hit the body within the larger piece of paper. I am assuming you have never shot a gun because I don’t think someone who has would ask that question. I will never shoot again because it was scary. A police officer would have to shoot at the largest part of the body of someone who chose to aim a gun at them, not to mention this was at a time when people are home from work and could have easily been injured by a woman who had already stated she planned to die. Many people want to kill themselves but they don’t have the nerve to actually pull the trigger and so they force innocent police officers to do it for them. Thank goodness that the only person who died was the woman who stated that was her intention before the police ever even arrived. People stating that police should not have brought guns or used bean bags are the same people who would be calling the police officers negligent if that woman had started shooting and hit someone in the crowd, which always forms when large amounts of police officers arrive. That officer very well may have saved more than just his own life.

I apologize if my initial response was harsh, although I didn’t call you names because that’s not necessary. I genuinely wasn’t sure if your question was designed to stir up controversy or was a legitimate question. I really didn’t think people would still think shooting someone in the arm or leg was even an option but considering that it’s shown on TV so much, I guess people could still think that works. The risk is far too high and there are too many innocent people to take a shot that has a much higher chance of missing and going God knows where than stopping a woman intent on ending it all who is pointing a gun at a known armed person.

I am as liberal as they come but I have no doubt in the world that this police officer made the only choice there was to make. There was only one choice, not two, three, or four. Police officers go all the time to talk people out of killing themselves and of course, that was this man’s hope in this case. Talk to an officer who had a person kill themselves right in front of them and hear the shear trauma and what ifs that go through their brain for years on end. Many have to be treated for PTSD. They’re human beings who take seeing death much harder than me assume.

I think it would be nice if some of the people here taking the time to support this officer would also take the time to send him a card or other token of support. Goodness knows, he’s hurting right now.

105 Anonymous May 16, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Look Lisa we have a fundamental difference. You state as an educator you told children the only stupid question was an unasked one. I think that is really a dumb thing to say.

If I asked if you were from Mars would that be a stupid question? According to you lights it wouldn’t be. But it is.

What you call a question was really a statement with a question mark behind it.

I think you should apologize to the Concord Police Officer that was forced to defend his life.

106 Barney Fife May 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I would have shot the safety lever on her gun so that it switched to “safe”. The lead from my bullet would then jam it in that position so that I could calmly walk up to her and take it, with no fear of getting shot.

If I can do that, why couldn’t CPD?

107 Rollo Tomasi May 16, 2014 at 3:14 PM

@CCW:

There was a negotiation. The police officer ordered her to drop her weapon. If she does drops the weapon, the negotiation can continue. If she doesn’t, it’s a deal breaker. She ended the negotiation by engaging the officer with her firearm.

@down and out:

There you go. Perfect job opportunity for you. I suggest you ask CPD to implement a new policy that in the future when faced with an armed mental patient or criminal, they remain at a safe distance until you arrive at the scene and restore order and safety to all involved, including all the neighbors. Maybe they can summon you with a “Batlight”.

108 Cuzzzzz........... May 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Rollo Tomasi @ #111 – both points you make are spot on. I feel that CCW will get it but “down and out” is just one of many lazy loser in Concord…..You know leaching off the system instead of being gainfully employed. I heard the new Hobby Lobby has jobs….go apply

109 Lisa May 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM

@ Janet, I have shot a rifle but that was a long time ago. And I am assuming from your description that it is way different than shooting a hand gun. I completely understand why the officer shot at the chest area now. After having it explained by several fine folks on here. You are correct. I did not ask that question to stir things up. That is not how I work. I had a question and I asked it. I have learned to watch my punctuation as well I forgot the question mark. Anyone that knows me will tell you I am by far the least confrontational person. So I thank you for your input. I appreciate your comments and candidness.
@ anonymous, I’m really at a loss for words. If you were a first grader and asked that question I would reply by asking why you’d think that. If you were an older child or an adult I’m thinking I’d respond accordingly. I guess I should clarify that within reason and context there are no stupid questions.
I will apologize for the fact that the “tone”. Of my initial question may have come off wrong because it was never my intent to insult or disparage the concord officer in any way. Your initial statement to me, and part of your last response directly insult my intelligence. You don’t even know me, you know only that I asked a question that in your mind was to stir up trouble. When in fact it was a search for an answer.
So now I respectfully request that you no longer bring my name or reference to me in your comments.
My good thoughts, well wishes and prayers are our to the officers involved.

110 RanchgirlCA May 16, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Maybe instead of telling others they need to apologize for something they didn’t do, some people on here shoud just look in the mirror. It’s easy to be a jerk when you just look at a computer screen and a keyboard. SMH.

111 Anonymous May 16, 2014 at 4:05 PM

We may be loosing sight of the fact that CPD deals with lots of mentally Ill people every day. They are trained and experienced and most of the time all goes well.

When things go wrong there are always folks who have great ideas on just exactly what should have been done.

112 Atticus Thraxx May 16, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Yes, using that logic we should never examine anything anyone does…’cause they’re “experienced”. Like the guys who built the bridge, right? When CPD shoots or is forced to shoot a citizen we have every damn right to discuss how it was handled. Yeah you get your two cents too, but not at the expense of mine.

113 @lisa May 16, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Lisa I will write whatever I want. If you don’t like it,dont read it. This is the big leagues. If you write something that someone doesn’t like stand by for a reaction. No time outs here.

I have to tell you that my immediate reaction to your “shoot them in the leg “question was this; Would you have said that face to face to the Police Officer or if he had been killed would have have told his widow that you were glad he took too much time to make a decision?

Killing people is serious business and so is coming close to being killed. Before you pop off again you might think before you start writing.

114 @ Atticus May 16, 2014 at 7:15 PM

“Using that logic we should never examine anything anyone does”

Lets see here. Pointing out the cops are experienced in dealing with crazy people and use less then lethal weapons when they can is the same as saying we shouldn’t examine their actions?

Is that what you are saying?

If you believe that I’ve got a Bridge Ill sell you. It has a few minor problems

115 Concord May 16, 2014 at 7:53 PM

My prayers to the family don’t make sence to kill a sick woman the cop support to use a different way to make her put her gun down

116 Janet May 16, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Lisa, you clearly displayed your character in the face of insults, false assumptions, and accusations. It was ridiculous what some wrote to you and I am certain none would have the guts to be so nasty if face to face with you. You asked a question. Yes, one that I am guilty of misunderstanding but it was still just a question. I am sorry that so many felt the need to pounce on you for asking a question. What I have learned is that when people are passionate about something their character shows through. There were several people here who displayed their character and hopefully they will take a step back and realize that being mean and insulting is a terribly ugly look. You, on the other hand, remained nice and demonstrated a character that many here could learn from. I’m sorry that some insist on remaining insulting even when there is every indication that it’s inappropriate to do so. I suspect that you are a far happier person than many of the people here who refused to take a kinder approach even after you clarified. That’s just people choosing to be mean for the sport of it and is no reflection on you.

117 Retired LE May 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM

@down and out #91….

So let’s hear about your expertise and training in deadly force situations. Of course, you must be an expert witness for use of deadly force….so you must have made training material for POST.

The officers acted appropriately, based on my knowledge, training and experience. Warning shots or wounding shots are not allowed. You shoot to STOP the threat….which means center mass. Period.

Ask ANY law enforcement agency what their policy is on use of deadly force. Better yet, go through an active shooter scenario training with a LE agency and let’s see how you do.

Again, let’s hear about your training and experience in use of deadly force.

118 Lisa May 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Janet, Thank you. I have been feeling very attacked today, and hurt by the words that were thrown at me. I have never been one to attack anyone, but do seek information. I am always wanting to learn. The best way is to ask. I have learned through this, that I need to find a way to convey my questions without offending.
My mom taught my brother and I that insulting others really gets you nowhere so I really try to refrain from doing so, even in situations such as this. I really appreciated all of the people who were able to see that it was just in fact a fact seeking question rather than a dig of wrongdoing on the part of the CPD. I believe they, being trained professionals know what they are doing and do the best they can in any given situation.
I thank you again for saying what you just did, because it makes the day end on a brighter note. I hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

119 @Anonymous May 16, 2014 at 10:28 PM

You seem like a lonely, Cold, Calloused coward that hides behind a keyboard.I am willing to bet that you do not speak to people in this manner face to face. Have a little bit of common decency and stop badgering decent people with your nonesence and childish antics.

120 Lisa May 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM

@ @ Lisa, I do not recall ever saying that I would have done things differently if it had been me in that situation, so no, I would not have questioned him. He did what he was trained to do, and that is to react the best he knows how in any given situation. I was not there, I do not know the circumstances of the situation that occurred. I simply had a question that I regretfully did not word well. When I asked it I did not think of the circumstances of bystanders, moving target, difficulty in small target, I could go on with what I did not think about. However, as I have continually tried to convey since then is that my inquiry was simply to gain information, NOT to accuse the CPO of doing anything incorrectly. It was taken completely out of my intended context and blown way out! I have now been schooled by some gracious informative people and some not so gracious people. I will continue to have the upmost respect for Law Enforcement that I have always had. I will also think more cautiously about questions I pose on public forums in the future. Please have a nice weekend.

121 Moon Hitsearth May 17, 2014 at 1:12 AM

I remember cops in the old days, they were brave men, friends of the community. They had a move where they jump out of the car, and stand behind it, then they would say miss please drop the gun now, and if they had to shoot, they would aim for the leg or arm, unless it was a really bad guy? They are no longer brave men from the community. They trained playing video games. They often treat people like enemies, instead of people. This state is heading for tough times, we need to help each other out more often. This happened very near where I live, I’m sorry this woman couldn’t ask for help, she probably needed it?

122 old concord May 17, 2014 at 3:38 AM

American law enforcement at it’s finest . 1200 American’s die each year to law enforcement violence . Near 3 times that are wounded by law enforcement every year . Stop the violence against the American people . More Americans dying from police killings than are dying in Iraq war each year . Gun control for police is way over do .

123 @119 May 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM

You forgot to post your name and address so we could say things to your face.

124 Gus May 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Wow I see a whole bunch of people who need to apply for a position with the CPD. It would be like the Justice League coming to Concord. No one would ever die and everyone would be safe.

Tell us all powerful Super Friends why haven’t you stepped up and shown CPD how it’s done?

Three reasons:

1. Gainful employment has always been a challenge for you.

2. Incontinence in the face of danger.

3. You may have to arrest most of your family.

125 Cowellian May 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Gus@122,
Bring me my brown pants!

126 @123 May 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Correction… Post 126 was intended for poster 123 not 119

127 @123 May 17, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Sorry Anonymous but they won’t post my name and address. I have tried twice.

128 ConcernedCitizen May 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Did she died?

129 @119 and 127 May 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Just use your full name in the “name” box. Pretty easy. Internet will take care of the rest.

130 ChampagneKitty May 17, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Concerned Citizen, what does the headline say at the top of this page?

131 Steven Pascoe May 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

@ Anonymous…. There you go. Now how about the same from you?

132 Connie Dobbs May 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Incontinence in the face of danger is my superpower.