Chihuahua Rescued from I-680 in Walnut Creek Reunited with Owners

May 15, 2014 22:36 pm · 38 comments

RescuedDog05.10.14

A Chihuahua rescued from Interstate-680 in Walnut Creek during rush hour earlier this month has been reunited with its family, Contra Costa Animal Services officials said today.

The small dog, dubbed “Freeway” by animal services officials after it was found on the interstate’s concrete center divider around 6 p.m. on May 9, was picked up by her family, which includes two little girls and their father, animal services officials said.

California Highway Patrol officials speculated at the time that the dog had been abandoned on the freeway.

However it turned out the dog, known as Charm by its owners, had escaped from the backyard of its home near the freeway, and the girls had been posting Instagram photos of their lost dog ever since, officials said.

The dog drew multiple offers from members of the public eager to adopt, prompting animal services officials to urge people to take that passion and put it toward the adoption of another dog that needs a home.

{ 38 comments }

1 wow May 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM

ya so we’re suppose to believe this? Feel bad for this dog going back to the owner that abandoned it and told his kids it ran away.

2 wibbly May 15, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I’m so glad this story has a happy ending. :-)

3 Chihuahua with 3 foot verticle? May 15, 2014 at 10:43 PM

So….How did the dog get on top of the center divider?

4 Hmmmm May 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM

please tell us HOW THE DOG GOT ON THE DIVIDER????? Someone put him there!! Something’s wrong with this story!

5 Chris May 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM

This seems very suspect to me!!

6 ccat May 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Krypto, Super-dog!

7 Bill May 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM

It’s genius night on Claycord tonight..!!

8 KAD May 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I, all along, thought this dog lived near by and got on the freeway by mistake. I never thought anyone dumped him//her there. I can’t believe all of you folks thought he/she was dumped. I am so glad the family got their dog back. A happy ending. They are rare around here.

9 Curious too May 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I, too, assumed the dog escaped from it’s owners never believing someone would purposely abandon it on a freeway of all places. But it’s a darn good question to ask how the dog made it up on the top, narrow part of the divider? It doesn’t seem easy to have done on her own.

10 Kai May 15, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Perhaps someone can answer part of the mystery…was the dog actually found on top of the divider, or was it put there for the photo? My dogs can jump like cats but that is still a tough jump for a little guy.

11 CLAYCORD.com May 15, 2014 at 11:25 PM

The dog was on top of the divider when police arrived.

12 Jay May 15, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Chihuahua’s are great jumpers. They also love to sneak away and go exploring. Especially when they’re younger. I’ve had mine for 11 years.

13 Marianne May 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM

That pooch was put there…what else could it be.

14 MicheLLes May 16, 2014 at 1:33 AM

wow May 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM

‘wow’, you’re an a&&

15 The Realist May 16, 2014 at 2:44 AM

There is the street view of the incident.
Unless they lived at the hotel or car dealership, there is like a mile of 20 foot tall sound wall in each direction on both sides of the freeway. That’s a long way for the fella to walk then cross traffic and then jump up onto the divider… Jus’ sayin’

Glad he found his way home either way.

16 ANON May 16, 2014 at 3:56 AM

If the family really the dog–they would have chipped it

17 Gee, really? May 16, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Suddenly, we have people coming out of the woodwork saying, “I knew all along the dog wasn’t really abandoned”. But when I said that, the only response I got was, “Your a moron.” So, I don’t believe any of you.

18 JRConcord May 16, 2014 at 5:58 AM

something is afoot at the circle K dudes!!!!

19 Cracky McGee May 16, 2014 at 6:12 AM

Puppies & kittens are dumped on freeways and busy roads quite frequently. Just ask the CHP and CPD …

20 The Dekiverer May 16, 2014 at 6:14 AM

…yeah…I’m not buying “the owners” story. I’m almost certain the dog went to the bathroom in the owners vehicle, got pissed, and left the dog on top of the divider.

21 Kelly Anne May 16, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Mine just turned 15. Still going strong. She can jump pretty high, but it’s still strange. I still want to believe it jumped up there on its own.its too disturbing for me to think someone put it there.

22 Questionable May 16, 2014 at 6:49 AM

That dog story has been all over the news internationally and you are saying these girls were posting about their missing dog on social media and no one put 2 and 2 together until just now??? Something’s not right…..

Just sayin’

23 DogMaMa May 16, 2014 at 6:56 AM

So glad that she was reunited with her family. She’s lucky to have survived. Chihuahuas can be super jumpers and escape artists. They can be hard to catch because of their speed and size and can squeeze out of the tiniest little opening.

24 Silva May 16, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I’m very happy the family and pooch are reunited. I’ve had a dog escape my fully fenced yard more than once, and gotten themselves in major trouble. Stranger things have happened, thank goodness Charm survived the ordeal.

25 resident May 16, 2014 at 7:40 AM

maybe someone other than the owners placed it there . . . possibly a cruel teenage prankster . . . if it was the true owners I do not think that they would have come forward

26 Anonymous May 16, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I do not for one minute believe that little pup got up there by itself. Maybe the dog did escape, but someone grabbed that little dog and abandoned it there.

27 Cowellian May 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM

I’m glad the dog is home, but this is a bizarre story.

28 Catlarson May 16, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I know that everyone is suspect about how the dog jumped onto the divider. Those small dogs have tremendous jumping power and stability, very much like a cat. This would not be a difficult feat for such a small dog.

29 Stella May 16, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Most of these comments make sense, I don’t believe the true owner would come forward to face animal cruelty charges. Glad the pooch made it home safe.

30 BTW May 16, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Those dividers are 32″ tall and have holes about halfway up that can be used for a step. A Chihuahua could easily get up there on it’s own.

Why do some people need to believe there’s some sinister motive behind everything? They must be terribly unhappy.

31 Bob May 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Chip it if you love it………….

32 nosiness May 16, 2014 at 9:17 AM

lol ;-)

33 debdvo- dog was in traffic beforehand May 16, 2014 at 9:30 AM

There were reports of the dog running in and out of lanes on the freeway before the officers found the dog on the center divide.

34 Horse n around May 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Adrenalin is a powerful drug.

35 Gus May 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Sounds like a baby momma is trying to keep a baby daddy out of jail. It’s okay he really loves her.

FYI if the chihuahua were to jump from that height it would break it’s front legs.

36 Gus May 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Or we work with animal rescue and have seen dogs with their legs broken and their ears cut off with a kitchen knife, dogs used as pit bull bait, dogs with wire 1″ under their skin around their neck, dogs with broken ribs from kicking, dogs starved almost to death, dogs so scared of men they go catatonic when a man speaks, dogs tied to trees and left to die, dogs with broken teeth from chewing through fences to escape their owner, dogs with dozens of bbs lodged under their skin, dogs that have never left a dog crate for years, dogs that have cigarette burns, dogs who were only touched when being beaten.

All done next door to people like you.

37 Gus May 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Sorry, that was for #30

38 Bunnyluver4 May 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Something isn’t right here. This story came out about a week ago. The kids have posted fb posts to find their dog! I get that. But not one person in the family, friends, neighbors, saw the news and said hey, that’s your dog!! Nobody said anything? Are you kidding me? And these people are just now coming forward? I call BS on this one!
I’m sure those kids loved that dog but the parents.. Not so much. Sadly the dog goes back to irresponsible owners who may “let it out again”
Pathetic!