UPDATE: BART Train Reportedly Strikes Pedestrian at the Pleasant Hill Station

May 15, 2014 · 36 comments

We’re getting reports that a person possibly jumped in front of a train at the Pleasant Hill BART station a few minutes ago.

The condition of the person is unknown at this time.

Expect delays if you’re riding BART this morning or this afternoon.

UPDATE, 10:40am: The person, a man in his 40s, jumped in front of the train, hit the front window and fell back on to the platform, according to the BART train operator. The man was unconscious with a head injury.

It is currently unknown if he is alive.

Audio has been added to the top of this post.

UPDATE, 10:45am: CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR A MESSAGE FROM BART.

UPDATE, 11:17am: The person struck by the train has died, according to BART.

AUDIO: Courtesy of Broadcastify.com

1 Incognito May 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Here’s my view on this. If you don’t want to be on this earth any more, don’t involve someone else and mess them up mentally with your own death wish. Go off somewhere on your own and take care of business.

2 ANON May 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM

A (this post deleated)

3 FormerConcordMom May 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I agree with Incognito! That is ridiculously selfish to shut down an entire BART system because you are done with your life! I personally feel that a person has a right to end their own life and as much as I don’t like to hear stories about people taking their own lives, I do understand how things can spiral in that direction with the help of depression, but don’t drag other people into your mess!

4 ConcordResident May 15, 2014 at 11:06 AM

My neighbor works at BART and witnessed this jump. Pretty bad scene…he did not survive. Decapitation. Very sad.

5 down and out May 15, 2014 at 11:09 AM

@Incognito:

You are very selfish. How about having some compassion here?

6 @#1 May 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Agreed.

7 Denise May 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Prayers go out to the family of this man and to everyone that witnessed it. May daughters boyfriend witnessed this and he and many others were very shaken up.

8 Mr. Pink May 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Decapitation? Yes, tough to survive that.

9 Stella May 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM

#1 makes so much sense it’s ridiculous. Poor guy, did a good job of it, so sad to see. Condolences to his family.

10 debdvo May 15, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Maybe they are feeling unnoticed, small and lonely and they need to know their death will not go unnoticed…

11 qwerty May 15, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Now that’s! a BART strike

12 mom May 15, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I agree with #1. That train driver will live with that image for the rest of his life and all he did wrong was show up to work. Suicide is a selfish act. Don’t take others down in your misery.

13 KJ May 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I feel sorry for the BART operator.

14 Annoyed May 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM

As a commuter who uses BART this seems to becoming a new trend… That people are continuing to go jumping infront of the trains which puts a huge delay and back up for every one else who had somewhere they need to be. Suicide is depressing and at times very selfish… I just wish they would stop using public transportation routes as there way out…….

15 Incognito May 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM

@ Down and Out #5
I am a very compassionate person and in this case, my compassion lies with the Bart Operator who has to deal with the emotional and mental issues of having someone slam into his/her track while doing his/her job and witnessing what appears to be a decapitation.

I am less compassionate towards human beings who make a decision to “check out” of this world. I believe in freedom of choice, just don’t involve others.

16 down and out May 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM

@Incognito:

I appreciate your reply, but a person just died who was depressed enough to take his own life. We all need to feel sorry for him. I don’t care about a stupid train driver; he’s still alive afterall.

17 julie May 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM

None of us will ever know what brought that man to the point of despair. None of us will ever know what led him to his own death. Take a minute people and step outside your selfish schedules. Delays happen every day ~ most of them out of our control. Try a little compassion on…not just for the driver who will no doubt be haunted by the experience, but for the man who saw no other way out of his pain…for his family and friends who will no doubt be haunted as well. My heartfelt sympathy to them. Prayers to the operator and all of the passengers who gave witness such an awful event. May we all remember our blessings and open our hearts to those in need.

18 Incognito May 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM

@Down and Out #16
“Stupid” train driver?
Now, where is your compassion?

19 Cowellian May 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Intentionally involving an innocent person in your own death is evil.

20 fred May 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM

@Incognito:

“You are very selfish. How about having some compassion here?”

I agree 1000% with Incognito as do many people

“Intentionally involving an innocent person in your own death is evil.”

You go that right

21 skrab May 15, 2014 at 12:04 PM

22 qwerty May 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM

He should have taken himself out deep in the wilderness, where he would be recycled, like all other forms of life. I wonder if it was simply the stress of life that took him, or if he did something terrible and was just about to get busted by the PO-lice.

23 ENOUGH! May 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM

ok folks, today I see the big problems with this world. Everyone needs to keep their nasty opinions to themseves, stop gossiping and spewing your sick views wherever you go.
Claycord used to be a fun place to come for the news, but now…UGH!

THINK OF THE POOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND PEOPLE WHO WITNESSED THIS… because Karma bites and it bites really bad!

24 Regular BART User May 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

People are always posting about how “selfish” it is for someone to commit suicide in a certain way. Do you really think someone who kills himself in such a manner is in his right mind or in any state to think the whole thing through? If someone weren’t overcome by some mental imbalance, he wouldn’t jump in front of a train to begin with. It’s not a question of being “selfish.” It’s some pour soul done in by mental illness. And, yes, I feel sorry for the train operator and anyone else who witnessed this, but I feel even more sorry for the person who died. Witnesses are alive to get help dealing with what they saw, but for a suicide, there is no more hope and no more help.

25 Regular BART User May 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM

(ack, ‘scuse the typo above; of course, I meant to type “some POOR soul” ..not “pour soul”.)

26 qwerty May 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM

from ENOUGH! #23

“You all need to be kinder to one another, no matter what you think in your peaheads!” <——-Oh the sweet, sweet nectar only the flower of irony provides.

27 JET May 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Annoyed #14 said:
“Suicide is depressing and at times very selfish… I just wish they would stop using public transportation routes as there way out…….”

Strange (and sad) that you don’t see the irony in your statement and consider yourself selfish for being more concerned about an inconvenience in your precious day than the fact someone was killed. Get over yourself!

28 Suicide is COWARD, period. May 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I honestly don’t care what drove a person to take their own life. It’s the coward way out. Every single one of us deal with different struggles everyday. And some get knocked down, EVERYDAY. No matter what life throws at me, and believe me! I have been, and continue to go through so serious sh¡t! At the end of the day, nothing in this world is SO BAD that i would even take actions to end my life.

Suicide is coward, and well. Lets face it. Its humanity’s own survival of the fittest. Natural selection if you will. If you cant handle the stress of losing a job, a wife, a home, a child, a MOTHER, of never having anyone ‘there’ for you, the guilt of your own crimes… WHATEVER! Then good riddance. The world does not need such selfish people.

29 down and out May 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM

@skrab:

“You have some compassion, Down and Out! I am married to a trainer driver. It is so hard on them when they hit somebody. You are the one who is stupid.”

It’s hard?? LOL. Maybe your husband should be in another line of work. I wouldn’t bat an eye if I were that train driver and I hit someone. It’s part of the job and is to be expected.

30 Suicide is COWARD, period. May 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

And yes, it IS selfish. When you decide to end your life, youre not thinking about anything but YOURSELF. You dont care what pain friends and loved ones will FOREVER feel. You dont care. about the ‘inconvenience’ your death will have on perfect strangers. Youre only thinking of your own pain. Its not always a ‘mental illness’ that leads to suicide. Often its being so wrapped up in YOURSELF and whats happening with YOU, that you cant see the bigger picture.

Heartless? Not quite. Hard lived, learned and cynical? Yes, definitely. I just dont care for cowards when i have to suffer through my own pain everyday. Because i am not weak enough to leave this world.

31 (insert name here) May 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM

@ down and out

First you wrote: “How about having some compassion here?” then ” I wouldn’t bat an eye if I were that train driver and I hit someone.”

So you have sympathy for the pain of the dead but no sympathy for the pain of the living…am I reading you correctly?

32 @ down and out May 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I hate to be crass but there is nothing you can do for the deceased. He is way past caring what you feel or think about him…

The Train Operator on the on the other hand is quite capable of understanding the feelings of empathy and sympathy. He can actually benefit from some kindness.

Your priorities are messed up.

33 tired of taxes May 15, 2014 at 3:16 PM

In Japan, they’ve instituted a law that the passengers who suffer monetary setbacks (i.e. fired for being late, a business deal fell through because of no show) caused by train service disruption by someone ending their lives on the train tracks, can sue the surviving family of the deceased.

So those that go through the suicide route and hate their families would do it on the train tracks. Those that still care about their families but can’t find the will to live find other means and don’t disturb anyone else.

But if you’re depressed enough to contemplate and go through with suicide, I guess your mind is not functioning correctly so some compassion is called for.

34 skrab May 15, 2014 at 3:31 PM

@ Down and Out

Are you human? Do you have a heart? What kind of person doesn’t feel something when another person dies and they were, quite literally, driving the vehicle that caused the death? Maybe you should consider becoming a mercenary or hitman.

35 kiyyap May 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM

The train driver sounded professional but shaken. My hat goes off to him for keeping it together. That is not something you can shake easily. I hope he gets what he needs from BART.

36 @Mean People May 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Who are you to judge?
Would you repeat these comments to his Mother, Father, wife relatives in person?
Keep hiding behind the screen of your dusty computer and letting all your anger out, It’s really attractive.