PIC: Vehicle Fire Extinguished on WB-H-24

May 14, 2014 · 7 comments

fire

A vehicle fire was extinguished on westbound Highway-24 today.

No injuries were reported, and the cause of the blaze is unknown.

Even thought the cause remains unknown, it’s a great reminder to check the fluid in your radiator, especially since it’s so hot outside.

Thanks to Brooke for the picture!

1 gearhead May 14, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I would also suggest checking for deteriorated fuel lines, leaking fuel injectors and seals, and fuel pressure regulator. Also check for split spark plug wires, which will ignite the leaking fuel/vapor.

2 Cowellian May 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Back when gasoline had MTBE in it, that stuff rotted all the fuel lines and connectors. I had gas leaking onto the engine, but I was able to get it fixed for a mere $600 before my car caught fire.

3 no handle May 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM

From the looks of the picture the fire looks to have been in the bed of the truck and not under the hood. Maybe a case of rough justice were the driver tossed a cigarette butt and it blew into the bed ?

4 KAD May 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Cowellian – MTBE is the reason I always put Union 76 gasoline in my cars. 76 did not put MTBE in their gas.

5 ?? May 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Anyone know what kind of truck that it is? Looks like an ex boyfriends truck…and no, not my doing!

6 anon May 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I’m sick of these guys driving those old unroadworthy vehicles that have no business being on the road in the first place hauling loads of crap with all their tires about to blow. CHP should kick these vehicles off the road. I’ve seen their axels break and the tires fly off and head down the freeway going 70 mph. If someone was in the emergency lane attending to their vehicle, they would be toast.

7 nytemuvr May 14, 2014 at 7:10 PM

@KAD #4
You’re wrong, all car gasoline for the public in CA had MTBE in it eventually. MTBE is a type of ether that oxygenates the older non-leaded fuel to raise octane. It’s made from a process that uses methanol and natural gas or crude oil to make it. It’s very closely related chemically to ethanol. I have first hand knowledge of this, for what it’s worth. Union 76 was the last hold-out company that used tetraethyl lead in their public gas, about a year longer than the other companies until they changed to MTBE.