The Claycord Online Museum – 4-Corners Pizza on Monument Blvd. in Concord

May 13, 2014 14:00 pm · 26 comments

four_corners_pizza

Thanks to Carol Putman for this advertisement for 4-Corners Pizza in Concord. This ad was in a Diablo Valley College (DVC) Ski Club brochure in 1964.

Anybody remember 4-Corners Pizza?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

{ 26 comments }

1 macwiz May 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I remember learning of 4 corners when we came from SoCal in 1967 as my late uncle advised Peta and Aida’s tomato sauce was the closest to my grandmother’s (his mother’s) that he had ever tasted. Later Pete and Aida retired and sold to a couple of fellows who opened Sorrento’s. I heard they split and one kept Sorrento and the other opened Tullio’s in Walnut Creek. They both still have pretty good pasta sauces.

2 guest May 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM

How nice would it be to have this restaurant still available. Much better option than the Round Table that’s coming to Clayton Valley Center!

3 mwo1859 May 13, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Who remembers CarQuest at four corners next to the arcade. I worked at car quest in 90 to 93 while I was building Afters Hours Car Club.

4 Zah May 13, 2014 at 2:56 PM

First pizza I ever had. Drove all the way over there from Walnut Creek in the mid-60′s. Family loved that place. Never had to worry about drive-bys back then either …

5 Kirkwood May 13, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I lived near 4-Corners from 1950 to the mid 60′s, and remember Four Corners Pizza as the best pizza in town. I think I remember the pizza being hand tossed, and a small restaurant in the back next to the kitchen where we could watch our meals being prepared. One day the pizza parlor closed and we later learned that they opened the Sorrento in Countrywood. My memory is a bit fuzzy about this.

6 Kirkwood May 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM

B.T.W. the flyer shows that across the street was a “big box” discount store called CBS (Consumers Buying Service). It is now a strip mall located at Monument and Meadow Lane.

7 Bonus May 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Cool to learn DVC had a Ski Club too!!! That brochure should be in the museum next week!

8 Actually, May 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Pete and Aida opened Sorrentos and then sold to Joe and Tullio. Joe and Tullio split up and Joe kept Sorrento and Tullio opened Tullio’s.

9 Tamara Steiner May 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Oh, YEAHHH! 4-Corners was beyond good. Nothing like it. My mouth waters at the memory. We’d save all month to get pizza on the last Friday. Large combination was $5 in 1965.

10 Abbie R. May 13, 2014 at 4:17 PM

@ no. 6: I really liked CBS My family drove over from Antioch in 1961 to buy the novel Polaroid Instant Camera, and our Zennith Black and White TV there.

11 Half/Half May 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM

They used to have a half/half. You got portion of spaghetti and ravioli, salad and bread. Served two and was cheap and sooo good!

12 Spanky Fortuna May 13, 2014 at 4:50 PM

My father liked to take his family there. I remember CBS very well. Does anyone remember my father’s crab pot right across the street? ’54 or ’55? That’s right, Dad used to sell live crabs on Monument Blvd.

My phone number was MU2-2265.

13 nytemuvr May 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I grew up on Detroit in the 50s and that was where we got pizza most of the time. There was a big plate glass window so you could see the pizza guy throwing the pizza dough in the air. At that time my Dad had his slide pictures developed at CBS and I bought my BBs there. They had a good selection of camping equipment there too. Good memories.

14 Walnut Creek Resident May 13, 2014 at 6:54 PM

The MU at the beginning of that old phone number stands for Mulberry! Our phone number in Walnut Creek at that time was Yellowstone 4-0914!!!

15 Abbie R. May 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM

@ no.12 those Years were before My time, but I think the Grocery/Liqouir store/Meat and Fish Market at Ygnacio and Civic in Walnut Creek used to display Crab Pots also in the 1960′s, early 1970′s….they also kept a large Dog who lived on the roof and was visable to everyone….They made quite a celebration when I went there on My 21st. Birthday and bought Beer for My underage Brother and His Friends.

16 JET May 13, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Wait – a restaurant existed on Monument Blvd that wasn’t mexican food? I don’t believe it! :)

17 RunnerDope May 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM

There was a lumber yard in front of CBS in the mid ’60s. Also, the Concord Bowl was next to CBS on Meadow Lane until the early ’70s, IIRC.

18 Mac May 14, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Ate pizza`s from this place a few times.
But i thought the “Straw Hat” in Pleasant hill was better.

19 Nikki P May 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM

LOVED THIS PLACE! Brings back such great memories of my family. This was our go to “special treat” dinner.

20 nytemuvr May 14, 2014 at 9:54 AM

@RunnerDope #17
You are correct about the lumber yard and the bowling lanes. Across Monument was a hand drive-thru car wash and of course Quarter Lb. burgers and a good do-nut shop in a 3 or 4 store strip, I think there was a sewing machine/vacuum repair store next to the donut shop.

21 Kirkwood May 14, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I just cannot picture the lumber yard at 4-Corners but if 2 guys say it was there I guess it was. Up the street where Dolans is now, there was a lumber yard that also sold used lumber from torn down houses, barns, etc. I worked there as a teenager. (Yes, there WAS a time when teenagers actually worked!) :-)
As for the fish market in W.C. was the name Liquori or something like that?

22 rememberinggoodtimes May 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I remember seeing this place when we first moved up here in the 1970s. Wasn’t the original Lim’s Garden there too?

23 RunnerDope May 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Are you thinking of Lupoi’s in WC on YV?

24 RunnerDope May 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM

The lumber yard was in front and to the side of CBS; close to the actual corner of 4 corners. It had a very high cyclone fence around the lumber.

25 FM Laucha May 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM

This was my family’s favorite place to go for treat night! With four kids, it was an affordable way to go. My parents were from the east coast, so they were picky about pizza, and this place ranked high with them. To this day we talk about this place and how we still miss it.

I seem to remember at one point a cousin from Italy was working there (or was another partner), and when 4 Corners closed, he opened Pisanos just up the block on Meadow Lane. I could be wrong, but I know that the owner of Pisanos was connected somehow.

26 foxylady May 15, 2014 at 4:15 AM

Four corners pizza made the most fabulous veggie pizza! And this was well before veggie pizzas were popular. They didn’t make it because it was kind to animals…they made it because it was friggin awsome tasting. I remember we would all be amazed at how good it was. It was so good we didn’t even miss the meat. Seriously it was that tasty!