Kirker Pass to Remain Closed Until 7am

May 13, 2014 · 22 comments

Kirker Pass Rd. will remain closed to traffic until Wednesday morning following a collision this evening that sparked a brush fire south of Pittsburg, Contra Costa County fire and California Highway Patrol officials said.

The blaze was reported near the intersection of Kirker Pass and Nortonville-Somersville roads at about 5:30 p.m., a fire dispatcher said.

According to CHP Officer Peter Van Eckert, a light blue SUV reportedly went off the roadway and hit a utility pole. The pole fell onto the roadway and power lines fell to the ground, igniting a grass fire.

The driver was able to get out of the vehicle and sustained only minor injuries, according to Van Eckert.

The brush fire spread to roughly 15 acres of land and was contained by firefighters at about 6:30 p.m., fire officials said.

Firefighters remain at the scene and PG&E crews are conducting repairs to the utility pole.

Kirker Pass Road is expected to reopen at 7 a.m. on Wednesday, Van Eckert said.

1 H May 14, 2014 at 5:57 AM

Can we get an update when this reopens?

2 Tag May 14, 2014 at 7:04 AM

I learned about this when I was en route to work and turned onto Kirker Pass Road around 545am only to find it was closed. Unbelievable! I had to go to Hwy 4 and the traffic was terrible…. took me another 30 minutes more than normal to get to my office in Berkeley. :(

3 Big Thanks! May 14, 2014 at 7:20 AM

To the guy last night that was kind enough during this mess to help direct cars through the gap so we could turn around and stop sitting there in the heat. I was heading back home with my injured pet from the vet, and got stuck in line because they had not yet closed the road. I left Concord at about 5:50, and got home at about 7:10.

4 Concord life May 14, 2014 at 7:24 AM

I am so tired of hearing about how this made everyone late. What about the person that had the accident? Guess they don’t matter. What about all the people that live in the clay cord area? Every morning and evening the people from east county clog up our streets. How about you take hwy 4 every day. You choose to live out there. Deal with your hwy 4 traffic and stop crying.

5 Can we have the name and address May 14, 2014 at 7:33 AM

of the Moron who crashed into the power pole. I think a Class Action Lawsuit is in order.

6 Jen May 14, 2014 at 7:38 AM

@7:30 am traffic on kirker is horrible. I went up Leland to Bailey and that is horrible as well. Take an alternate route if possible.

7 Huskerfan May 14, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Found out at about 4:30 this morning it was closed. They should have put portable signs up at Concord Blvd saying it was closed. They didn’t turn me around until the last light leaving Concord. Had to go over Bailey rd which is not fun when you are not used to it in the dark.

8 Laura May 14, 2014 at 8:16 AM

8:18 am on Wednesday and it’s still closed!

9 Z-Man May 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM

As of 8:45 am, Google Maps is showing traffic speeds going over KPR

10 lynnette May 14, 2014 at 8:54 AM

So judging from Jen’s comment, Kirker is very congested, but now open?

11 Concord Res May 14, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Anyone notice how nice the ride from Concord/Clayton to Walnut Creek today? Half the Cars coming over the hill are from Pitt/Ant/Brentwood. Time to put up a Toll Both for Street repairs.

12 Marianne May 14, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I will be zipping through Kirker Pass this weekend.

13 Cops are Morons May 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM

They blocked the K-Rail gaps so people couldn’t U-Turn to Kirker southbound. Said it was for emergency vehicles, which we NEVER saw/

14 The Grant May 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Traffic on Ygnacio @ 7:30 was awesome this morning. Wish it was like this everyday. Way East In-landers take Highway 4 (it was built for a reason).

15 Oakley Resident May 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Quit complaining about traffic in your precious Concord area. Do you really think we like all the weekend warriors coming out to our area? It usually takes me an hour and a half to travel 36 miles to Walnut Creek. This morning it took me over two and an half hours. Do I hate the traffic, sure, who wouldn’t. But living by the Delta is completely worth it.

@The Grant have you ever driven Highway 4? Instead of complaining to us “Way East In-landers” maybe complain to the ones who decided to build 5 million houses without considering the freeway issues.

16 Haha May 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Haha you guys are all trolls. Talking about how it’s nice that others in your county/community aren’t driving on your local streets or not clogging them up. This is the problem with society today, everyone is in it for themselves and never thinking about their fellow man.(Shakes my head.)

17 Annie May 14, 2014 at 4:52 PM

The unfortunate part about this is that the Concord Police department removed the barricades last night prematurely around 9PM, so myself along with at least a dozen other cars were stopped at the bottom of the hill, where the power line had fallen and had to drive back up the hill on the shoulder. Ridiculous.

18 L May 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM

To the people who wrote, “Big Thanks” and “Concord Life,” thank you for your humanity.

About the author of, “Can we have the name and address,” Your callousness seeps through your post. You have no idea why the accident happened. Does anybody have the name and address for this insensitive, idiotic MORON?

19 Cowellian May 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM

So L@18, that was you that caused the crash?

20 Suzanne May 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM

@Cowellian
probably…

21 concord native// delta living now May 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM

last I checked the streets, kirkerpass rd and ygnacio valley rd
belonged to any tax payer,/ legal California resident… and anyone who has a valid ca drivers license.. we east county residents can travel through that cess pool known as concord , its just as bad there as it is in pittsburg and Antioch, so you have prestigious clayton ca with pompus erogant people , we have disco bay with the same …. btw we don’t complain when you concord trash come over the hill and clog our launch ramps up because you have no clue on how to launce a boat ..and when you cause accidents while boating on our water ways .. and txting while boating… yes seen it crazy … everybody needs to just go back to school and learn some respect for each other…….cutting class . and smoking pot don’t turn out good in the long run…. not trying to offend , use to love concord and had more problems in that city then I have living in the east county…and no I was not a n. concord resident …landana /mulberry ,,, nice neighborhood but took a bad turn in 2008….moved away and love it… say what you want
east county rocks,,, delta trash anyday……..

B.

22 L May 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM

No. I had nothing to do with the accident. Just care about the person that was hurt in the accident.