Cyclists to Battle Mt. Diablo During Amgen Tour of California Later Today

May 13, 2014 · 23 comments

amgen

The Amgen Tour of California, one of America’s most successful cycling races, is skipping the Claycord surface streets this year, but the cyclists will use Mt. Diablo as the last part of their third stage, which starts at 10:45 this morning.

Stage three will start in San Jose and head to Mt. Diablo for an intense, and VERY HOT mountaintop finish later this afternoon.

To learn more about the race, click ON THIS LINK.

1 Tour May 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM

These guys are good and don’t need a police escort. Those riders on the street blowing thru stop signs and stop lights need a police escort.

2 Strange May 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM

On a Spare the Air day ?

3 WC May 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Cool stuff. I went to see them on Mt Diablo 2 years ago. They can fly!

4 Idiocracy May 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Great, more traffic for me. why cant they do this kind of race somewhere less populated or man up and hit 90 degree angled San Francisco streets if they think they have downhill bike skills. Make a bike course in SF like SF rush

5 ANON May 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Sure its hot– & if they get heat stroke–they know the risks

WiIl I stand out in the 90+ degree heat to watch them go by in 10 seconds– I am not crazy.

“Those riders on the street blowing thru stop signs and stop lights need a police escort.”

They need a ticket or the morgue van – total jerks especially the ones dressed like court jesters who think they own the road & can not be killed

6 Peanut Gallery May 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM

@Idiocracy…..YOUR AN IDIOT

7 Cowellian May 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Peanut Gallery@6 wins the “YOUR AN IDIOT” irony award.

8 Noj May 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM

The wife and I are headed down to Cambria tonight. The Amgen race will finish up stage 4 there tomorrow. The Tour de France winner is among the riders. This is the biggest cycle race in the US.

9 Pyrrhus May 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM

@Strange Why not on a Spare the Air day? Last I checked a bike doesn’t burn anything other than calories.

@Idiocracy Traffic at 10:45AM?

10 @Idiocracy May 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM

What a grump and a whiny baby you are! I – along with tons of people in this community – couldn’t be prouder that this kind of activity’s in Claycord’s area. When the Amgen Tour came through Clayton a couple of years ago, it was awesome being part of the crowd cheering the cyclists on.

Tough patooties that you’re being “inconvenienced.”

11 Idiocracy May 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM

#10 Says the person calling me names lol You must really be into watching losers ride around on 15 thousand dollar bikes dressed in spandex “Oh wow look at them go” . Your easily impressed im sure your an avid American Idol fan too

12 Silva May 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Well now I know why last evening looking up at the beautiful mountain top there was a huge white something up there.

13 Mr. Pink May 13, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I honestly don’t understand all the excitement about biking. Not referring to this particular event, but biking in general. So many people seem so obsessed with it. Yawn.

14 EAST BAY VELO WORKS May 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Idiocracy is an idiot

15 @Idiocracy, part deux May 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Well you just proved my point about being a grumpy whiner, with more negativity, lol.

Yes, I love watching world-class athletes in a variety of sports, whatever they wear. The mental and physical dedication, discipline, focus and passion required to get to this level is impressive. A hell of a lot better role models than the mass media wannabe thugs and spoiled brat singers from Canada like the Beeb.

Yes, these guys impress me. When was the last time you raced up a 3,800 foot mountain in near 100 degree heat? Your idea of athletics is probably popping a cold one at the end of the day.

16 Atticus Thraxx May 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Geez, that’s alot of white people. I couldn’t ride my bike to the top of Diablo so I can’t talk any smack. Be funny if I did…$200 bike, flappy shorts. tank-top and iPod. One of them fancy spandex get-ups cost more than all that I bet.

17 KenInConcord May 13, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Complainers!!! If you are upset because of traffic and the crowds. We’ll get over it, thousands of people are enjoying our community and spending money in our stores. The campgrounds on Diablo are full !! It’s a beautiful day.

You had plenary of notice, if you were delayed then maybe you should have gotten your lazy butt of the couch a few minuted earlier.

I wonder what the total impact is on the local budget, I’m all for events like this. It’s wholesome family fun, it brings a good crowd in, no fights, crime, no hold-ups, no car side-shows at intersections.

18 Antler May 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I’m thinking that the “bad air day” comment above has to do with the medical warnings that people should not be exerting themselves outdoors on bad air days…let alone when there is the added factor of the excessive heat today.

19 anon May 13, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Spare the air day on top of the heat man you have to give respect to these guys.

20 gimli May 13, 2014 at 9:57 PM

I drank all my water going up to watch, 4 big bottles, and stopped just past the 3km to go marker. Luckily they had turned on the water fountains that are normally off for the drought for us to fill up. There were a lot of spectator cyclists up there and getting down was a rush, but packed. Hold your line. I know someone has some footage of that, i’m sure it was cool to watch the mass exodus.

21 ChuckD May 14, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Tour of California is one of the biggest and most popular cycling races in the world.

This is why it attracts former Tour De France winners and competitors.

We’re lucky to have such a show so close by in our local cities and parks.

I encourage everyone to take an afternoon and go watch a stage. It’s very exciting!

22 No Photos? May 14, 2014 at 9:31 AM

No Photo’s of the event today?????????????????????????????

23 Idiocracy May 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM

#16 I love how you don’t even have a call sign so I can’t troll your comments back. Idk where your last comment was going when I clearly was making fun of American Idol and made no mention of Justin boober. I watch a lot of sports too but come on this is speedo biking lol they look dressed to go bobsledding. Maybe its just my disgust with all the local bikers that ride in the road and are snobby sort of like you.