Second Consecutive Spare the Air Alert Issued for Tuesday in the Bay Area

May 12, 2014 23:00 pm · 9 comments

A second consecutive Spare the Air day has been issued in the Bay Area for Tuesday because forecasted high temperatures and low winds are expected to create unhealthy smog levels, air quality officials said.

It is the second alert issued by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District for its summer season after the first was issued for Monday.

Commuters are urged to avoid driving alone on Spare the Air days to cut down on the amount of car exhaust entering the atmosphere, according to the air district.

“Vehicle traffic accounts for most of the ozone-forming pollution in the Bay Area, and choosing commute alternatives such as carpooling or taking transit can make a big difference when it comes to protecting air quality and our health,” air district spokesman Jack Broadbent said in a statement.

The air district said 37 percent of Bay Area employees commute alone to work every day and that employees are more likely to adopt alternatives if encouraged by their employer.

To that end, employers with 50 or more full-time employees must register on 511.org to provide commute options for their employees.

High levels of ozone can cause numerous health problems including throat irritation, congestion, chest pain, asthma and worsened bronchitis and emphysema, according to the air district.

Air pollution is particularly harmful to young children and seniors, district officials said.

1 Lari May 13, 2014 at 12:59 AM

On the subject of air..for the first time, I called PG&E late this eve to report a very strong natural gas smell outside my home. When I went out the front door, it was very strong. I called the 800 number and they wanted to send someone over right away to check, even though by that time, I reported I could not detect it anymore. I guess after San Bruno, they will never take chances. A nice worker came by pretty quickly and did a full sweep. Nothing. I felt silly, but will sleep better now.

2 KenInConcord May 13, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Is this really news worthy? A few old ladies are recommended not to use their hair spray today! The organization just like to see their name in the headlines.

Remember every time the BAAQD calls for a STA day using a inaccurate computer model, and then the pollution does NOT show they feel as if they are responsible for cleaning the air.

My weather models show 2 foot of snow today , but I did the Native American snow dance in the back yard. If it doesn’t snow then my dance is working !!!!

KenInConcord

3 Vindex May 13, 2014 at 7:30 AM

First it is our fires… Next it is our cars. Fascists

4 . May 13, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Is time to stop building new residences in the nine Bay Area Counties.

5 Yeah, right. May 13, 2014 at 8:59 AM

We can pretty much assume this is going to be a STA week. And if high temps and no wind is their criteria, it will be a STA summer. The problem with calling too many STA days is that nobody pays attention to them anymore. I’m surprised BAAQMD hasn’t figured that out yet.

6 @#4 May 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM

That would be be an actual solution though. Don’t let Bay Area people hear you talking like that. People around here like over complicated feel-good plans that don’t accomplish anything.

7 Dorothy May 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Too late, I already went to the gym in my car – by myself.

8 Aspirin May 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Is Karl Rove in the area? That would account for much of the pollution.

9 Hot May 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Mom says we are having barbeque today and tomorrow.