UPDATE: Chihuahua Rescued from I-680 on Friday – CHP Says It’s Likely Dog Was Abandoned on the Freeway

May 11, 2014 · 18 comments

RescuedDog05.10.14

As we previously reported, a Chihuahua was rescued from a roadway median on Interstate 680 in Walnut Creek during rush hour Friday evening.

A CHP officer spotted the small dog on the highway’s concrete center divider around 6 p.m. while driving south on I-680 near the North Main Street overpass, CHP Officer John Fransen said.

The officer exited his car, used a protein bar to coax the Chihuahua toward him and was able to pick up the dog, Fransen said.

The dog was uninjured and was taken by Contra Costa Animal Services personnel to the animal shelter in Martinez.

Although Fransen said he didn’t know how the dog ended up on the freeway, he said, it’s likely that someone left the animal there. “As sad as it sounds, it actually happens pretty often,” he said.

Since Friday night, there have been several offers from the public to adopt the dog, the officer said.

RELATED STORY: PICTURE: Look! It’s a Chihuahua ON the Center Median of I-680 in Walnut Creek

1 Brian May 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I believe it, only I believe he’s a motor officer, not one in a car. But I could be wrong. It’s happened node or twice.

2 nytemuvr May 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Looks like a Motor Officer, unless they’re wearing helmets in their cars now…might be a good idea now days.

3 Mustang Sally May 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Why do some folks walk upright?

4 anonanonagain May 11, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Another reason the human race is going down hill, How cruel and inhumane to abandon a dog on the freeway. It seems that so many people want a dog then it dawns on them that they need care, feeding and love. Shame on whoever did this……ARF doesn’t euthanize their animals but prefers to place them in loving homes…..http://www.arf.net/

5 J. May 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Yo quiero Taco Bell

6 Lupe May 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Thank God for officers like Mr. John Fransen. That little girl was terrified how cruel people can be to our little fur kids. I hope the evil person pays for what he or she did leaving that precious little fur kid on the divider like that.

7 It's a long shot, but maybe this little guy had a microchip, May 11, 2014 at 11:32 AM

or the owner will come forward, and we will find out the real story. I can’t imagine anyone would be heartless enough to abandon a living creature in this manner. Not even David Rosen.

8 Kai May 11, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Hope whoever did this doesn’t have kids. Imagine what their lives are like if the person could do this to a dog.

9 @8 May 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Are you new to this planet?

10 sara May 11, 2014 at 12:38 PM

@8
If he had a microchip he wouldn’t have been dropped off on the freeway or anywhere!

11 Teacher May 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM

How could anyone be so cruel. If they did not want the dog, why not take it to a shelter? Hopefully they find a good home for the poor dog.

12 Anderson May 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

@11
I can imagine the kind of person who would do something like this being completely ignorant of the implications if the pet were microchipped.

13 @8 May 11, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I’m with you. I prefer to maintain a modicum of faith in humanity, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that such faith is misplaced.

14 sam May 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I’m just wondering, how many motorists noticed this, which had to be absolutely petrified Chihuahua, stuck on this wall, yet didn’t even bother to call 911, “asap”, to report its location? An instigator, to any ill doing is the primary perpetrator; any witness or anyone who acquires knowledge of ill doings, yet chooses to not report said offense, to the proper authorities is working in complicity with said perpetrators; the true malignancy, rampant within the human species is the disdainful existance of the “weak kneed”, apathetic, pathetic masses.

15 Anon May 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Maybe someone will leave an orphan on the median, maybe then you’ll care about more than a silly dog.

16 Cowellian May 11, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I couldn’t imagine someone being rotten enough to abandon a dog on the highway, but because someone did, we have a wonderful pet. Thank you, Wonder Dog Rescue!

17 Dr. Jellyfinger® May 11, 2014 at 6:41 PM

That’s no way to punish a bad puppy. When Snickers was little & puddled up the living room carpet I told him “bad dog” in a gentle voice & clipped his walking harness to a weather balloon (tethered of course!). I put him up for a 200′ float for 20 minutes. It didn’t house break him, but it did manage to make him empty out everything else he might have peed or pooped that day.

18 Jed Rainbird May 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM

So the dog was rescued from a nearly certain death only to be transported to the CC County animal control prison where it will once again face possible death. Not cool. BUT I suspect that because of the unusual and large publicity this pup has received that some kind-hearted person will adopt it.. but what about all the rest of the cats and dogs abandoned at this same death camp for animals?? I adopted from there.