Summer Spare the Air Alert Issued for Monday May 12th

May 11, 2014 17:00 pm · 19 comments

sparetheair

A Spare the Air Alert is in effect for Monday, May 12, in the Bay Area

Concentrations of ground-level ozone pollution are forecast to be unhealthy tomorrow.

Residents are encouraged to drive less and reduce their energy use tomorrow and every day to keep pollution levels lower, preventing health alerts when temperatures are high.

To help prevent smog this summer, please:

• Bike to work or around town
  • Take public transit
  • Telecommute
  • Carpool and link your errands to reduce driving
  • Avoid using gas-powered lawn mowers and leaf blowers
  • Reduce household energy use
  • Don’t use lighter fluid on the barbecue
  • Avoid using aerosol spray cleaners, paints and hairspray

HIgh levels of ozone pollution are particularly harmful for young children, seniors, and those with respiratory and heart conditions.  Vigorous outdoor exercise should be undertaken only in the early morning hours when ozone concentrations are lower.

To plan your commute online, visit 511.org.

To see air quality forecasts, visit sparetheair.org

Download the FREE Spare the Air iPhone or Android app at sparetheair.org for alert notifications, local air quality forecasts, podcasts and several tools to help reduce air pollution!

This AirAlert is provided by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District.

Thank you for doing your part to Spare the Air!

{ 19 comments }

1 Julio May 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Spare the air day. How can that be? The wind has been blowing so bad none of us can go outside due to an allergy. It has been brutal.

2 MikeT May 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Now why is it that in the summer months people are “encouraged” to follow the “SPA” guidelines, yet in the winter it is mandatory to follow the same silly guidelines when it comes to keeping your home and family warm, or face a fine…..something is a tad out of wack… Let the wood stove haters begin in 3…2…1..start

3 Breath Deep May 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM

“Bike to work or around town”
If air is not healthy why would they encourage you to be out in it, exert yourself, causing you to inhale more of it than usual?

Perhaps same person with that diesel math mistake came up with the idea.

4 The Realist May 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM

20 MPH winds = stagnant air…declare a STA day!! Call in the air nazis to partroll!!

Only in Clownifornia.

5 Dr. Jellyfinger® May 11, 2014 at 6:34 PM

BOHICA

6 barn May 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM

What the he’ll these people are a joke

7 Maurice May 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM

It should have been for today. There is a fire burning somewhere near our neighborhood and the smoke is coming down the street.

8 TinFoiler May 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM

What a JOKE. How about STOP spraying our skies.

9 Mr.Clean May 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I will call the refineries near my home and let them know.Thanks air quality board for letting me know of this important information.

10 The whole... May 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Worlds turnin… every bodies got me down…
need to get my feet back on the ground.
It doesn’t surprise me at all that things are
so screwed up. A choice lot of you can’t go along
with anything. I know you must have been
a real joy for your parents. I can see it now,
Tin-fouler, don’t touch that stove, it’s hot.
Anon(whichever), dont stick that penny in
that…ZZZZZZAP!
Not to much longer, I’ll be where the weather
suits my clothes, and statistically there will
be a significant drop in moronitude .

11 mojoduck May 11, 2014 at 7:54 PM

It’s don’t go to work day.

12 TinFoiler May 11, 2014 at 8:01 PM

#10, “Not to much longer”.
That would be ‘TOO’ not To. If you’re going to set yourself up as a knowledgeable ass – Learn to spell you Clown.

13 . May 11, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Time to fire up the BBQ.

14 H May 12, 2014 at 5:42 AM

Telecommute? Wow, I wish my boss would follow the air quality too. Then looks like ill be working from home all summer! I wish.

15 KenInConcord May 12, 2014 at 6:55 AM

WHAT NO HAIR SPRAY?? Now this has gone too far!!

16 Suzanne May 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I love telecommunicating–but alas, I have to be here.

17 Mac May 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Oh great, no fires this week.
And i was hoping to do so, in the heat wave (not)

18 . May 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Need to remember Bay Area Air Quality Management District is the 9 Bay area Counties. They are too lazy to break warnings down into specific areas. If even one small area will have unhealthy air the entire Bay Area Suffers.

19 claycordian May 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Lord Broadbent needed to remind us that he is in power, and is all knowing, all seeing, all powerful. I’m sitting here watching the wind blow the trees around and the air is clear. Can’t we find someone to run for office who will promise to dismantle this bunch of idiots?