New Fence Next to the Canal Trail Crossing Gate on Treat Near Navaronne in Concord

May 9, 2014 · 40 comments

Back in November, we told you about the gate being installed in the center median at the Contra Costa Canal Trail crossing on Treat Blvd (south of Navaronne Way) in Concord.

The gate was installed in an effort to urge people to use the crosswalk at Treat & Navaronne to safely get across to the other side of Treat Blvd.

Since November, canal trail users have pretty much ignored the gate, and just bypassed it by walking or riding a few feet north or south, then crossed where there is no crosswalk or traffic signal.

gate

So, today, a green fence was installed on both sides of the gate, which now forces canal trail users to ride or walk up to Navaronne Way, safely cross the street, then proceed back down Treat Blvd. to the canal trail.

1 Peter May 9, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Why not just a crosswalk right across at that section… T-minus till someone cuts a hole in that

2 Wayne Landana May 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM

a great use of our tax dollars!!!

3 StoneyGRL May 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I just love how our world (and laws) are set up to protect the stupid.
So much for natural selection (((LOL)))

4 Catlarson May 9, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Just ridiculous!

5 Rob May 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Its Obama’s fault!!!

6 Todd May 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM

What a stupid waste! I agree, why not a cross walk and/or signal?! This would serve a 2nd purpose… slowing the speeding cars in that stretch.This why I’m getting the hell out of this area, too many fences!!!

7 concordkiwi May 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

@ StoneyGRL,

The worst part is that the stupids have learned the system and will sue for their stupidity.

8 Anon May 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

It’s about time that fence was put up . The jaywalkers were creating a hazzard. Treat has too much traffic for people to cross at that part of the canal trail.

9 Cowellian May 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM

What, no white picket fence?

10 KenInConcord May 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM

It’s not real money spent on this ridiculous fence, it was just tax dollars spent!!

11 Woody May 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Walnut creek would add a bridge.

12 AldrigeFamily May 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Nice, safer and it will look great. the planting around it will make it look better.

13 Peanut Gallery May 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Easy to just hop over it. WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!! How about putting a fence around the Monument Blvd area instead??

14 Buster May 9, 2014 at 3:39 PM

It only cost $50,000 if I recall, which is much cheaper the installing a signal like they did at much busier Clayton Rd and the canal.

15 Dorothy May 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM

They forced people to be safe against their will? There must be a lawyer out there who will sue the city for doing that.

16 guest May 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Mayor, does the City of Concord have a landscape architect on staff? If yes, I’m wondering if they were used on this decision. They should be. This is an easy situation to resolve and the gate and fencing is not the proper solution.

17 NoMoreFreeRide May 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Not a waste of money I’ve seen too many accidents due to cars stopping for people crossing illegally.

18 I hate it May 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

This is ridiculous. There’s never an injury or accident (with pedestrian or biker) near here so what is the point of this ugly thing? I bet people will go down hill toward San Miguel to cross instead of UPHILL to the light. Will we at least finally get some landscaping to go around it? I swear, this section of Treat is the ugly step-daughter (I didn’t come up with it, but I agree!!).

19 What's a Phillips Screwdriver ? May 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Fence and gate are too low. Lift bike over fence, climb over fence and if they’re lucky none of them will drop their bike into traffic. Or they’ll fall down and roll into traffic. How long before the gate locking mechanism is defeated.

Get to work with mechanical and electrical engineers every day and some of them are not the sharpest marble in the bag, a never ending source of entertainment.

20 jon May 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM

The new fence looks ok, but please remove the cattle gate. Why does the gate need to stay??? Just put the fence where the gate currently is

21 Landana May 9, 2014 at 6:51 PM

@jon
They have a gate so the city workers can cross there.

22 KJ May 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM

If it is safe for city workers…

How do city workers feel about having to open and close that gate, I wonder? Where do they park their car/truck while they are running (I presume) back and forth to open the gate?

23 Angry Navaronnian May 9, 2014 at 7:40 PM

This is so stupid. Why not plant trees and nice plants and bushes so it actually looks nice and will actually prevent people from crossing it? That would be a lot cheaper than a damn fence

24 @18 May 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Who cares what it looks like? Nobody notices driving and texting. They could repave the Treat from Navaronne Way to Oak Grove which has been in bad shape for a long time.

25 Larrabee May 9, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I don’t know why they didn’t run the trail under Treat Blvd.; the huge flood control channel is right there!

26 Walnut Creek Resident May 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM

It is brilliant. I am so pleased.

27 Anon May 9, 2014 at 8:53 PM

You guys saying signal realize there is one a few yards from the crossing

28 Pedalin' Pinhead May 9, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Highly experienced, high skill cyclist here. No, really. I’ve been “jayriding” at that spot for decades. From the north side it’s actually one of the safest crossings out there. Why? Because from that spot you have an unusually commanding view of all directions of traffic, for quite a distance. From the south side is a different story. You can’t see the west bound traffic worth diddley, and the east bound not as well either. I usually just went for the light when going the dangerous direction.

Once again, the idiots have ruined something good for everyone. There was never any reason for a cyclist or pedestrian to get hit at that crossing. When traffic is light you grab a nice 10 second window (an eternity in traffic time) and when it’s heavy you wait at the light. The average eight year old should possess the time/distance/speed anticipation capabilities to make that
judgment.

Not to single out a group, but I’ve witnessed an inordinate number of middle-aged, spandex-clad, expensive bike riding nimrods stranded half way, trying to edge their way into traffic like pregnant geese. I don’t know where these people learned to ride. When I was five I learned: Cars will kill you. Do not challenge them.

29 Ronnie Regan May 9, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Mr. Grayson, Tear Down This Wall!

30 Gjertrud S. Davis May 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Sooner or later there will be an accident there. It is too much of a waste of time and energy for the bicyclists to bike up the hill, then wait for the long light to cross Treat. I think there should be the natural crossing straight for the bicyclists, with a light that synchronizes with the Navaronne Way light. Best for all parts! And much safer than trying to enforce the unnatural solution.

31 PM Clayton May 10, 2014 at 4:20 AM

They need to put a big sign on the gate to tell people to use the crosswalk @ the signal.

32 H May 10, 2014 at 5:55 AM

It’s the craziest thing. Not to mention, that on a bike, going thru the posts to exit the trail, then having to make a hard 90 degree turn, it’s a tight squeeze. If there happens to be a bike coming in the opposite direction at the same time, there’s not enough room for both, and no where to go to avoid a collision with another bike. So there’s the lawsuit the city can expect.

33 Dr. Jellyfinger® May 10, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Concord could build a giant taco bridge / pedestrian overpass like Walnut Creek did.

34 sarah May 10, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I always wondered why people who are out exercising and riding their bikes don’t want to spend the effort to use the crosswalk.

35 @Pedalin' Pinhead May 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Lol! I wish there was a like button for your post!

36 Suicidal Title Writer May 10, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Notice it is legal to drive your bicycle across there. Once again Concord is impotent to change the law so they go out of their way to disable a legal crossing. How much would an extension to the traffic signal cost compared to this fence?

Treat Blvd. is the same down the hill. Concord can’t force bicycles off the asphalt so they have just made it more dangerous to be there. Cops won’t even investigate car, bus or motorcycle drivers who harass bicycle drivers. No blood, no foul in their minds.

37 john voss May 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM

The main reason people don’t want to go up to the signal at Navarrone is that the signal takes so long to change for pedestrians. I commuted by bike a while back and I didn’t understand why people didn’t use the lights. Then I found I also started to shortcut to avoid the long wait. They have pedestrian lights on Clayton, Oakgrove, and Bancroft, all as busy as Treat, how come a fence instead of a light?
The gate is also unusable for the canal vehicles. To open the vehicle has to block a lane and the gate, when open also blocks a lane?

38 guest May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

#25 Larrabee has the proper solution. Redesign the path to run under the roadway utilizing the existing channel.

39 Skippy May 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Lots of good suggestions here. I hope Concord officials read them. I have ridden my bike over this stretch many times (safely), rather than go uphill out of my way to the light. One time, a motorist actually stopped his car in the middle of Treat to lecture me about the safety of me crossing there! There’s an underground tunnel for the YVR crossing, so put one here. Problem solved.

40 Lol May 12, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Message from Concord: We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the new fencing placed on Treat Blvd. Your safety is our top priority! We understand that it may be an inconvenience to walk to the crosswalk at Navaronne Way and Treat Blvd, however you’ll find that it’s much easier and safer to cross there. We are sorry if you felt like your voice didn’t matter in the choosing to put up this fence, but we assure you, it didn’t. You’re just the ones using it and paying for it, but were the ones building it! We understand that you would have preferred a safety signal and a crosswalk there instead, but after paying all government workers, we didn’t have enough left to do that. If you have any further complaints, please shove them up your *** because we don’t care!