Claycordians Get Sneak Peek of BART’s Fleet of the Future

May 9, 2014 23:15 pm · 20 comments

BART’s Fleet of the Future visited the Downtown Concord BART station on Friday afternoon.

This was the final week BART displayed its Fleet of the Future model train car to the public. Claycordians had the chance to walk through the model car and provide feedback on the new modern features.

This tour is the final review of the train car design before manufacturing and testing begin. More details about BART’s New Train Car Project can be found at www.bart.gov/cars

Big thanks to Brinke Guthrie for the great photos!

1 45 years later... May 10, 2014 at 6:59 AM

BART figures out that not having cloth seats and carpet, and putting more standing room in the middle of the car is more efficient. Hey it only took 2 generations, better late than never you morons!

2 FRANCIS BARKER May 10, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Yeah thats great but there is one big problem and thats Bart needs to not allow homeless people on the trains because they stink and trash the trains!!

3 Cat Smith May 10, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Safety and cleanliness are my major concerns. Taxes, taxes, taxes.

4 Concord Mike May 10, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Looks like they pulled out most of the seats so they could cram more people and bikes on the train. Simple as that.

Thankfully, These days I only use BART as a convenient way to get to SF airport.

I guess I can sit on my suitcase.

5 PH Dad May 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I’m surprised nobody had stolen the bikes yet.

6 jimymac May 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Those colors suck!

7 ConcordDad May 10, 2014 at 10:00 AM

What is with the terrible colors? I have asked about the homeless and unfortunately if they buy a cheap ticket as low as 1.85 they can be on the train! It is “Public Transportation” unfortunately for us folks that shower and need to get to work clean.

8 Dorothy May 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM

The bikes were for the photo shoot. There will be people at the doors to make sure nothing disappears during show times. Seeing all the extra standing room and less seats for everyone, one could ask what happened to the old promise of everyone gets a seat on BART.

9 snuggles May 10, 2014 at 10:14 AM

boy, those interior seats look way too tight. especially in the corner. looks.like I’ll be getting to know my neighbors better… o_O

10 Clayanon May 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM

BART serves two airports but the new design has no luggage racks. People going to the airport are going to have to stand and hold on to the straps with one hand and try to keep their luggage from toppling with the other. Not smart.

11 H May 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Fewer seats? How’s that smart? If they’re concerned with bikes, why not make the last car of every train with no seats just the grab bar, then lots of bikes could fit and commuters in suits wouldn’t have to worry about dirt and bike grease on their clothes. And Seattle Seahawks colors? Really?

12 Concord May 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM

sigh

13 Teacher Wannabe May 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM

@H, I agree. I’m glad bikes were taken into account, but I feel for commuters who want seats. Having the last car dedicated to bikes is the best solution. But the colors should be Blue and Gold. Go Chargers! LOL

14 It's mass transit May 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Fewer seats is smarter. Mass transit is just that–MASS. Fit as many people in as you can. BART still is way to expensive though, and barely goes anywhere, doesn’t run enough trains, etc., etc.

CA has no idea how to move people around…go back to the East Coast or Europe and see how it’s done with efficiency.

15 anon May 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Get the bikes off the train.

16 JW May 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I like the idea of more bikes on BART.

17 Teacher Wannabe May 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM

@anon. Hope you stay off the train. A hindrance to society and people trying to do right.

18 ale May 11, 2014 at 8:54 AM

The employee there explained that there are 4 fewer seats per car but they are ordering more cars than they currently have.

19 Richard May 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Did I hear someone say the colors of the inside suck

20 Jackie May 12, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Bart is looking for short trip riders? I guess all the long distance riders will find it easier to take their cars than to stand for an hour. Don’t ask us suburbanites for money for a downtown transportation system.