Concord Announces Pilot Program to Control Bedbug Infestations

May 8, 2014 · 27 comments

The City of Concord is starting a pilot program to help control bedbug infestations in Concord.

Sgt. Russ Norris with the Concord Police Department announced the program on Tuesday in front of the Concord City Council. Bedbugs are usually eradicated after a pest control company brings in a dog, which then sniffs out the bugs. The company then uses a combination of heat & steam to kill the bugs, but something they have to use pesticides, Sgt. Norris said.

The program has three goals, Sgt. Norris said; Bedbug abatement, voluntary compliance by the property manager(s) and shared responsibility. The pilot program started back in March, and Sgt. Norris says they’ve already had nine cases.

He says they issued one citation to a property manager for non-compliance.

If you have a bedbug problem, please call 925-671-3282 or send an email to cleanup@cityofconcord.org.

1 anon May 8, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I guess that’s more important than the gang problem that we don’t have in Concord or the dangerously high weeds all over the city. Wait, shouldn’t code enforcement deal with the problems that they have been told about before starting a new project like muni code violations? Why aren’t Sergeants dealing with drive-by shootings?

2 mike mac May 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Scratch this problem off the list…

3 Winston May 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Forcing property owners to keep up their properties prevents the neighborhood from getting worse. Do you really think bedbug infested apartments will attract nice renters?

4 Amy May 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM

What? The Concord Police Dept. is going after bedbugs? WHAT?? The “bedbug police”, take a bite out of bug crime? Bug gangs? Is this what the police do now? What about real crime? Gang retaliation? Robberies? Rapes? Are we really paying the Police to go after bedbugs?

5 MzManager May 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM

We all know where the bedbug infestations are in Concord it starts with people picking up a couch or worse a mattress left at a dumpster then they become infested and somehow it becomes the owner/manager of the apartment complex problem why not spend money on education instead of fining the owner/manager.
There is a lot of work involved on the tenants part to make the place ready to be treated and some of it involves getting rid of the bed/couch etc. which most lower income people won’t do food grade diatomaceous earth will kill the bed bugs
Also works on cockroaches and ants…Again start with education

6 MeanOldDog May 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM

And, someone said Concord wasn’t
anything like Oakland!

7 mutts May 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM

People…you need to watch a program about bedbugs. I sure don’t want them and if takes a cop, so be it.

8 Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Knowing something about police culture,we suspect his peers are going to really bug the good Sgt.

9 That Guy May 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM

How absurd is this? Please address the GANG, CRIME, and BLIGHT within the city limits first. How absurd is it to focus city resources on this problem. This City has misplaced priorities, it scares the hell out of me as a resident.

10 Shelly May 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM

#5 Gets an award for brilliance! Non toxic, inexpensive, and super effective.

11 EdiBirsan May 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Code Enforcement (previously Neighborhood Preservation) was moved into the PD several years ago. They have their own staff (non-sworn) and fall within the authority of a very capable police Sgt who also has other duties.

12 The Realist May 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM

So bed bugs they can admit too and spend precious tax dollars on??
Gangs? Non-existent. Riiiiight.
Might be time to invest in some bullet proof windows for the house AND car.

13 Elwood May 8, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Send them all back to Mexico!

14 Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 10:43 PM

OK let me get this straight- there is a story on Claycord that said we had 20 burglaries last week and we have a Sgt chasing bed bugs?Makes perfect sense to me.

I would think possibly a Lt could be looking for head lice, what with that being a problem..

The possibilities for proactive police work in the insect control business are truly fascinating.

And snakes ! We know they are out there. Tarantulas! those buggers scare me to death.

I know ,let’s set up a whole new unit in the PD . Maybe we could reassign the burglary detectives to this new high priority. Fund it with a sales tax increase,oh wait we already did that…

15 Suzanne May 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Is it that bad that a DETOX squad has to be sent in for BEDBUGS! How Gross is THAT!

16 Nimby May 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM

If there is an “infestation” diatomaceous earth will do very little. Heat treatment is the only effective method. Remember it’s a infestation not just a bug or two.

17 Michelle May 8, 2014 at 11:12 PM

So who gets something for something that has been there? Edi?

18 Bugs in the Beards May 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Everyone, cash in on the louse program! Quick!

19 Anon May 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM

I think we should gather the bed bugs and have edi send them to the Russian bombers that are circling Buchanan Field.

That what I think.

20 The Mamba May 9, 2014 at 7:59 AM

The police are arresting bedbugs?

21 anon May 9, 2014 at 8:04 AM

@EdiBirsan,
I’ve called code enforcement 3 times about my neighbor’s muni code violations. Code enforcement has driven by 5 times and nothing has changed. I sent Sgt Norris pictures of the violations and still nothing has changed. I guess I’ll be writing to the Police Chief next.

22 Anon-2-U May 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM

@anon & @EdiBirsan – I too have called code enforcement about a neighbor’s code violations. Nothing has changed, but I haven’t sent pictures yet either. Guess I’ll do that next, AND send them to the Police Chief as a cc to see how long it will take to get remediated. But then again, for some reason I think this a**hole has an “in” with the PD.

23 anon May 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Maybe it’s time for a new Police Chief.

24 let's monetize May 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM

i recently learned that if you crush bedbugs and smoke them you can get a nice high!
what if we collect these suckers and make some money?

see for yourself

25 jtkatec May 9, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Claycord.com has bedbugs. I’ve seen ‘em, and it’s a BIG one.

26 Elwood May 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I called code enforcement in PH and within two weeks the problem was rectified.

PH knows how to get s**t done.

27 rkt88edmo May 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Agree that bedbugs are a serious issue.

If they start taking root in the community you may pick them up from a restaurant or coffee shop. Or your kids may pick them up from school.

DO NOT WANT!