Concord Police Identify Man Who Allegedly Led Police on a Pursuit in a Stolen Vehicle

May 7, 2014 9:37 am · 54 comments

A 19-year-old man who allegedly led police on a pursuit in a stolen vehicle down Interstate 680 suffered major injuries after the car overturned in Danville on Tuesday night, a Concord police lieutenant said.

A Concord police sergeant patrolling the area of Monument Boulevard near I-680 in Concord saw a vehicle driving recklessly on the road around 10:30 p.m., Lt. David Hughes said.

The sergeant tried to stop the vehicle but the driver did not yield and fled onto southbound Highway 680 at speeds of up to 100 mph, Hughes said.

The sergeant followed the vehicle down the freeway and the driver lost control on southbound I-680 just north of El Cerro Road, he said.

The vehicle then left the roadway and struck a guiderail before overturning near La Gonda Way in Danville, according to Hughes.

The driver, 19-year-old Michael Holden of Concord, was transported to a hospital where he is in critical condition, he said.

Holden was driving a vehicle stolen out of Walnut Creek, Hughes said.

The California Highway Patrol issued a Sig-alert shortly after 3 a.m. for two lanes of southbound I-680 in Danville between El Pintado Road and El Cerro Boulevard in addition to the El Pintado Road offramp.

The lanes and offramp were reopened as of 5:30 a.m., according to the CHP.

Investigators from the CHP, Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office, Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office and Concord police are investigating the incident.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call Concord police Detective Tom Parodi at (925) 603-5867. Anyone wishing to remain anonymous can call the Concord Police Department tip line at (925) 603-5836.

RELATED STORY: UPDATE: Concord Police Involved in Vehicle Pursuit on SB-I-680 in Walnut Creek

1 Darwin May 7, 2014 at 9:44 AM

To bad he survived, he placed the public at great risk

2 CRT May 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM

From reading this, it sounds like the guy nearly crashed right into the Danville Police Department parking lot. It backs up to the El Pintado off ramp. Whoops!

3 loser May 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Look at his favorite movies & video games:

4 Schmee May 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Car thieves are at the bottom of the totem pole in society. They prey on people who actually have jobs. Sad to say I’m glad he got hurt.

5 Hmmmmm May 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Wanna bet there will be a lawsuit filed against the PD by the parents? When things like that happen, it’s ALWAYS the fault of the PD, NEVER the one who was breaking the law.

6 Danville Resident May 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Please keep your ghetto residents out of our town. Thank you.

7 JET May 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Check out this clowns facebook – he’s a hardcore gangsta….LOL. Low class ghetto thug wannabe is more like it…… meth is one helluva drug…… https://www.facebook.com/michael.holden.121

8 Clayton Pete May 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Holy God, what a loser! Just seeing his face on Facebook… Hilarious! I mean, really, what a pathetic waste of oxygen. Too bad he lived. May his recovery be long and painful, with life-long complications.

No excuses, no sympathy, no well wishes from any law-abiding intelligent citizen.

9 Cowellian May 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM

We used to hang horse thieves.

10 REALLY!!??? May 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM

One of his pictures on FB in a hoddie he say ” I had a warrant for probo violation lol” then says “I got 4 days in there lol but i was on module 6a” sounds like he is not stranger to TROUBLE!!!! PD did the right thing! lots of bad choices! paid the ultimate price crashing that car!

11 seepsee May 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM

yeah, don’t worry the police are investigating themselves no conflict there

12 iluvfriedchicken May 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM

One of his favorites on FB is Claycord.com lol

13 Idiocracy May 7, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Nice parenting Holden family! Mike, get ready for that thug life while locked up. Do not send him to Byron’s, please send him to Richmond. Maybe someone can answer this question – Why can’t you shoot someone stealing your stuff in this state?

14 Idiocracy May 7, 2014 at 11:54 AM

As in why can’t you defend your property as the crime occurs with full force?

15 Road kill May 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I smell drugs. They are killing our kids.

16 @CRT May 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I think you are confused. Danville PD is at the El Cerro Blvd off ramp

17 @seepsee May 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Apparently you find yourself upset that the cops are doing…an investigation. Tell us , who would you have do it? You and your buds? Maybe the ACLU ?

Idiot

18 Anon May 7, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Agree with Road Kill. No parent, even those not fit to parent, want their kids to live their life as a “thug” or drug addict. Drug addiction is a serious issue in this area and causes the “thug” life of burglary, driving wreckless and endangering the rest of the population. Very sad. It is everywhere here…even Danville, Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Moraga, and yes Concord.

Drug addiction has no boundaries.

19 You people May 7, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Some of you Are full of crap! Everyone of you has skeletons in your closet. @ #5. I can definitely think of worse people to be at the bottom of the totem pole besides car thieves!! Yes he’s on the wrong path, screwed up, drugs, defiant,etc. but for you to wish him dead???
Sometimes the sarcasm on here is so ignorant!

20 KAA May 7, 2014 at 2:18 PM

That is someone’s little boy! The total disrespect in these comments puts the people making the hateful statements no better a person than they are assuming this young man was. Poor choices he has made,YES! Deserved to be hurt or possibly killed? That is a judgement only God can make. The people doing all the judging here will have their own day. I pray that this child will get well and turn his life in the right direction!

21 Blink May 7, 2014 at 2:22 PM

@ you people

Most people are just tired of harm defiant drugged out individuals do to others…just glad he didn’t take out an innocent ..like David Rosen ….

He’s responsible for his choices….and if he learns from this ….great…
If not he’ll continue his destructive life….till someone is hurt
He’s 19 old enough to have a clue…

22 Anon May 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Sorry but like most, I am glad he got hurt and Thank God he didn’t kill someone by his stupid reckless actions. I don’t think anyone wishes he were dead but good that he got hurt, maybe it’ll knock some sense into his stupid a$$. If not then maybe he can ponder it while he sits in prison being the gangsta he wants to be.

23 Cowellian May 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Even thugs have groupies. Every time some thug like Holden gets killed, hurt, or captured while putting a lot of other people in harms way, all of his friends, family, and girlfriends come crawling out of the woodwork to defend him.

You People@20 is a thug-groupie who has no idea of what sarcasm means.

24 Darwin May 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM

#21 KAA remember David Rosen

25 Anon May 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM

To all of you who are glad he was hurt or should be dead:

Karma

Your day will come, quicker now that you are below the lowest of the low life on this planet.

No, I don’t know him.

26 Fig Newton May 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I hope he has plenty of charges on him with the DA! Lots of bills,,and I hope he suffers daily ,,,no money,,no dope,,no rap CDs ,,no gold teef,,this guy is total scum! You won’t win when CPD is involved!

27 Enfield303 May 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I hope he signed up for Obamacare before he stole the car. Critical condition sounds expensive.

28 Dennis May 7, 2014 at 4:06 PM

@#26 you ever consider that karma was doing paybacks on Holden?
you wishing for karma hurting others is also worthy of a karma payback.

29 Dennis May 7, 2014 at 4:08 PM

and what happens with the owner of the car he stole? I bet he won’t be able to replace the car with his insurance. Maybe Holden and his parents (if he is still living with them) should replace the car BEFORE they spend anything on lawyers.

30 anon May 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Holden on for dear life

31 Anon May 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM

@ Dennis – Do make sure you have enough insurance for ALL of your material things. Your karma will not have to do with your life, only your material things as they are more important to you than life or a human being.

32 Poon May 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM

This kid is definitely a burn out, who peaked in high school. I heard he is paralyzed and druknking through a tube.

33 Fig Newton May 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM

He’s in critical condition,,what a shame! It’s a shame that the car he stole is totaled..I could care less about this thief! A happy ending would be a stiff sentence in the Gray bar hotel,,pay retrobution to all parties,,,,including Concord Police for all the fuel… and time our officers spent on this thug! Attach his pay forever to get every nickel this guy owes the Law Enforcement !!!!!!! No free lunch,,,,except when he is detained in jail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34 Gilbert May 7, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Wow, the lynch mob is in full affect. Most of you need to get a life.

35 PO'd May 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Karma

36 Anon May 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Sounds like he won’t be driving anytime soon, good riddens.

37 Menegene May 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM

All these nasty comments wishing negativity is exactly why I hardly come on here anymore. I don’t condone a car thief either.

38 Marianne May 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I am so sorry for this lost soul, he may have stolen a car–but I am going to pray for him, especially if he is paralyzed because of it; because he is just too young

39 Ven Exeter May 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer tool…..,

40 Highway 4 Wrong Way Driver May 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM

How come they never caught the wrong way driver who got on 4 going the wrong way using the Willow Pass off ramp to avoid police. He was going the wrong way in the fast lane on 4 towards Martinez from Bay Point with his headlights off, travelling at 90-100mph in a very small black vehicle. There were police out along 680/24/242/and 4 looking for this guy. Never found anything in the paper on this. The Police would never be able to see this vehicle at all without the lights on and it was so small that it wouldn’t be visible over the BART tracks either. This douche put everyone at risk on 242/4.

41 anon May 8, 2014 at 3:45 AM

‘all of you have skeletons in your closet’. hmm
Not all sins are on the same level. and skeletons in one’s closet is quite different than serious crimes against another person. No we all have not committed serious crimes against another.
The morality in the world is so off base.

42 anon May 8, 2014 at 4:13 AM

i can’t speak from others, but what i’m hearing partly is extreme frustration and anger about all the crime and the judicial system that doesnt work.
It’s hard enough to make a living in this world, and then someone steals from you. Having insurance does not make up for everything that is lost. And what happens to the criminal? not much that’s going to help. The judicial system is a fail. The fact that the thief received natural consequences for his actions, aka reaping what one has sown is more effective than them lame judicial system. Thus a hard learning experience. vs. ‘lol at probo violation’. etc. etc.

43 TJ May 8, 2014 at 7:39 AM

As much as I don’t want to see anyone injured or paralyzed (if that is the case, is this confirmed?), my motto has always been “you play, you pay”….. I try to make decisions and don’t take chances in my life (i.e. speeding, stealing cars, etc)…. I don’t do those things now, nor did I do them when I was younger…. if someone does stuff like this, eventually it will catch up with them, as it has for this young man. The honest truth here is that he is the one who did this to himself. For anyone responding telling others about ‘skeletons in their closets’, don’t even go there – I am a law abiding citzen who respects others and their safety….. unlike Mr. Holden…..and I don’t have pity for anyone that conducts their lives like the way this kid does…. sorry.

44 Aspirin May 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM

“Allegedly” ? Seems like a pretty sure thing to me. Either he was speeding in a stolen vehicle or he wasn’t.

45 offdutydeputy May 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Best news is he only hurt himself, not an innocent citizen or the Police. Bad news is if he is paralyzed our tax dollars will support him for the rest of his life. More bad news is if he recovers, our tax dollars will support him for the rest of his life as he goes in and out of jail/prison.

34% of welfare recipients in this COUNTRY live in California (roughly 4 times more than the next highest state). Looks like young Michael will be adding to this number.

46 Darwin May 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM

#46 offdutydeputy
Great post!!!

47 Sharyn Creamer May 8, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Pray for his recovery. He is really not a bad kid. There is hope that he will be a productive citizen. Bad choices but maybe this will be a lesson. I am putting him on our church prayer list.

48 ashamed of you all! May 9, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I can’t believe how horrible most of you are! No, I don’t know the kid. Yes, he did a really stupid, idiotic and dangerous thing but he does not deserve the horrendous things you guys are wishing upon him. For your information, that poor kid passed away today from his injuries. He did not deserve that. Jail, absolutely but not death or permanent injuries or any of the other horrible things you wished upon him. That was somebody’s child, grandchild, friend, etc. You guys are worse than he was. I can’t believe how rude and heartless you idiots are!

49 School friend May 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM

How ignorant can you guys be he still a human being… His mother tried to get him in a better path. But drugs didn’t let him… Drugs miss you up badly.. Everyone say he has a painful recovery or even dead. Y’all redicualous!!!! Do you wish that on our self!!!! And for your information he died earlyer today!!! If that makes you feel better your a sick twisted person!!! Just remember don’t wish on others what you don’t want to happen to your self or any One close to you!!!! Rude people.. Mike rip high school classmate!!

50 junior ramirez May 10, 2014 at 2:13 AM

Rest in peace to michael holden he died in the hospital he was a good kid that made some bad decissions but he didnt deserve to die so young my heart goes out to his family

51 Schoolmates May 10, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Wow so sad, though he should’ve paid for his actions he should not have had to pay with his life. Sorry for the family and sorry for the insensitive people who come on this website only to destroy people who aren’t perfect. Rest in Peace Michael.

52 anon May 10, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I can not believe I live in a community with all these ignorant people! He committed a crime therefore he should pay with his life? Where is the compassion? I hope you all realize the value of a human life has greater value than his crime. I pray that you all gain some compassion and understanding! That’s what out world needs more of not more laws because based on statistics that method is not working. I pray also for this young soul and his family. RIP.

53 A friend that hardly knew him May 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I went to school with this kid Yea he mad bad choices but he wasn’t a bad kid! He just made bad decision! I always said hi to him because he always said hi to me first! He was sweet and nice! Some of you people are heartless Yea he made a dumb choice but that doesn’t mean his life should of been taken away! RIP Micheal! My heart goes out to him and his family! I wish I actually knew you but I’m glad we got to say hi every time we seen each other!

54 jay May 11, 2014 at 8:31 AM

R.i.p Michael! It was good knowing you thru out middle school and high school prayers to you’re family!