Every 15 Minutes Anti-Drunk Driving Program at Clayton Valley Charter High School in Concord

May 6, 2014 · 27 comments

contracostafire

The Every 15 Minutes anti-drunk driving program is happening at Clayton Valley Charter High School today.

If you see a medical helicopter, ambulances, cop cars or firetrucks, don’t worry, there is no medical emergency.

photo credit: @ContraCostaFire on Twitter

1 Marci Kaufman May 6, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Just heard a fire truck. I was worried.

2 aka May 6, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I heard the sirens and saw the helicopter land then take off again about an hour ago. There are many emergency vehicles in the neighborhood.

3 anon May 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM

are there any k9 there?

4 Princess May 6, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Nice, way to go. Hopefully this kids take this seriously.

5 Elizabeth. May 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

No K9. @anon

6 anon May 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM

It might’ve been helpful to know that before all the sirens, couldn’t they send a note to local houses???

7 Nuttsie the Nutter May 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I often wonder if these programs do any good. Sure it makes an immediate impact on some of the kids but does it last long term?

8 Rick May 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I’ve always advocated, unsuccessfully, that those convicted of first time DUI violations should be ordered to assist rescue personnel to remove the remains of victims involved in auto wrecks. I know, it sounds gross and sickening, but it would probably make the offenders think twice before getting behind the wheel when intoxicated. Sort of a behavioral modification. Judges these days haven’t got the stomach to dole out this punishment.

9 Cowellian May 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I’m a fan of Every 15 Minutes.

10 Rob May 6, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Worried the hell out of my family and I, and a few of our neighbors. We were all outside, watching the copter, wondering what was going on. Would’ve been nice to have some sort of warning.

11 VikingPrincess May 6, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Cowellian
Me too ;)

12 Christy May 6, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I’m surprised CVCHS allowed them to use their field for this….. since CVCHS tends to kick out people/events when they feel like it. :)

13 Just Dropping By May 6, 2014 at 1:03 PM

@ Rick – truth be known some of them might be the judges’ kids and they don’t want to subject them to such cruel punishment.

14 Nuttsie the Nutter May 6, 2014 at 1:08 PM

My father had a friend that worked at the morgue and when I was 16 and learning to drive my dad took he there for a visit and tour. It made a lasting impression. I can still see the bodies and the toe tags 50 years later.

15 Cowellian May 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I like Rick’s proposal.

16 anon May 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM

If all the professional’s volunteered their time I would be all for it.

17 Larry Miller May 6, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Christy, not worthwhile events….

18 CVHCS Mom May 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Clayton Valley has been doing this wonderful program every other year for many years. I am proud of their commitment to our kids by organizing this important event with the police, Ambulance, fired, hospital etc. Thanks CVHCS!!

19 Cuzzzzzzzzzzzzz May 6, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I agree with Rick. My friends father was an ER Trauma Surgeon in Reno and had a slide show he made us watch when we were learing to drive. Made quite an impression. I would say it was a similar experience to what Nutsie the Nutter had. Nothing like “graphics” to make one think and see things clearly.

20 TinFoiler May 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Cool, Hopefully they’ll do an “Every 2 Minutes” Cell phone distraction program next.

21 Kamster May 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM

@Christy-your ignorant response is spoken like a true scorned teacher that was let go before CVCHS became a Charter School.

22 Suzanne May 6, 2014 at 5:50 PM

This is a great program, kudos to Clayton Valley Charter High and the police and fire departments.

23 anon by CVCHS May 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM

If anyone is interested in what is going on at the CVCHS join their web page. Each week I get an email and as a neighbor I am glad to have advance notice. All area high schools take turns taking part in this great program. Even if it saves one student from driving drunk it seems worth it.

24 Phoenyx May 6, 2014 at 11:46 PM

You can look up Every 15 Minutes 2014 on YouTube and watch some of the productions from different high schools that have participated. Pretty powerful stuff.

25 Became a flight nurse May 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Nuttsie, I went to Clayton Valley and still remember the every 15 min program that they put on for us. It was my first real exposure to the EMS system as a high school student and affected my choices afterward. That program is part of the reason why I ended up becoming a flight nurse, I am glad they still do it.

26 Cowellian May 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Good for you, Flight Nurse!

27 Maya Piñon May 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM

It’s a nice idea, however I have a teen at age 17 was out with a friend at 11:00pm during Christmas New Years break. He/she was pulled over for swerving and got a DUI after failing breathalyzer test. He/she had already watched every 15 minutes program, so I don’t think it was helpful to my teen. Perhaps if could be helpful for some young people, but not all.