Suspect Spotted Breaking Into Vehicle in Unincorporated Walnut Creek

May 4, 2014 15:45 pm · 47 comments

window

A suspect was spotted breaking into a vehicle in unincorporated Walnut Creek early this morning.

Here’s the information from the victim:

We live on the corner on Mayhew Way and Las Juntas in unincorporated Walnut Creek just off the Iron horse trail. My husband had just woken up at 5:30am.

At 5:45 he heard movement and a ripping noise in the parking lot . He opened our front door only to find a short Hispanic male wearing jeans and a dark sweater pulling a backpack and other items out of the car.

My husband yelled and gave chase. The thief dropped some items but got away with an iPad and other stuff. This is a growing problem in our area.

It’s amazing that it was done so brazenly when people are up exercising, walking dogs etc…Since we are unincorporated Contra Costa, the Sheriff’s dept. showed up but not much can ever be done. It is up to us, average citizens to protect each other and our own.

Sorry to hear about the burglary & vandalism. Thanks for the information.

1 Killjoy May 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I’m not saying they deserved to get robbed. Nobody deserves it.
But seriously, in this day and age, why are people so stupid as to leave valuables in their car, and in plain sight of all things?

People, only leave in your car what you can afford to lose, or just don’t care about.

2 Anon May 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Don’t leave valuables in your car. It’s hard to have sympathy for a situation such as this.

3 RickCendejas May 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM

The best thing that you can do is get a car alarm and NOT leave items where thieves can see them. We do need to watch out for each other.

4 Enfield303 May 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Start blaming the victim in 3…2…1…go.

5 Anonymous May 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I guess leaving an I pad in a car is ungood.

6 Par for the course May 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM

That area has always been a haven for criminal activity

7 waverunner May 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Once again, no empathy, and am amazed that people are not embarrassed to write in about their own stupidity – – – – yes, am blaming the victim.

8 funny man May 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

hmm, im gonna start leaving a bat by the front door, what yall reccommend? Wood or aluminim

9 Open invitation for Thieves May 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Once again,. It’s your own fault for leaving valuable items in your car overnight.
What will it take to get people to wake up to this new world of crime.
Protect your own belongings.

10 @RickCendejas May 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

What do you do when you hear a car alarm going off? Nothing? That’s the same thing everybody else does, too. So, I have to say an alarm is pretty much worthless. But not leaving valuables in your car is definitely good advice.

11 RaD May 4, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Why on earth were a backpack and an Ipad left in the car to begin with?

Helloooo…. asking to be robbed?

@Enfield303

You think that leaving this stuff in the car was a good idea?

12 Look folks May 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Yes, if you leave stuff(bait) visible in your car,
you will attract fish( crooks). This was true even
in the “good old days, I have heard public service
announcements dating back to the early radio
days advising against doing this! I guess some
don’t learn, and some do.
Perhaps a low deductible insurance claim for
some extra vacation money.
Beginning to have no sympathy for these”victims”,
that just won’t be proactive.

13 Really? May 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM

What’s “amazing” is that you left an ipad and other valuables in your car.

14 @5 May 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I agree with you no matter what is left in the car stop blaming the victim and start fighting back. Do we blame the homeowners if this same piece of garbage breaks Into their home. Should we live in a vault?

It is time to fight back install camera’s and alarms and fight the justice department to go after this scum. The police can’t be everywhere so it is up to all of us to stop this from taking over our neighborhood.

15 The Closer May 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Maybe they just wanted an excuse to get a new iPad.

16 JL May 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I live off of Las Juntas and have had my car stolen a couple of years back. I have also had another vehicle broken into, and I had nothing valuable visible to the thieves. I’m not so sure that this is a growing problem, but a problem that has been going on for several years now. It would be nice to have the Sheriff patrolling the area more like they did about 7-8 years ago.

17 MikeT May 4, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Shoot the sorry bastard

18 Bellarium May 4, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Nobody is perfect. We have all forgot items in our car. If it didn’t belong to you don’t touch it. Thieves suck! Some loser tried to steal my car in broad daylight in front of our home on a busy street. Thank God for smart keys.

19 Law Abiding Citizen May 4, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I left a million dollars in my car, 50 ipads, 100 laptops in my car too, etc etc all stolen jk. This reminds me of the thread where some lady left 2 laptops and tablets at the elephant bar parking lot.

It doesnt matter where you live, it can and will happen anywhere.
If richer get richer and poorer get poorer i guess you could say its a growing problem.
Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

20 PO'd May 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM

If I lived next to BART & Iron Horse Trail, and left items in the car, I would expect someone to swoop it.

21 Dan May 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM
22 Marianne May 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

We need more ‘feel good’ laws.

23 N's Mom May 4, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write this in.

24 Ted K., SuperMax May 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Ya know how the left champions those with “undocumented status” but wouldn’t it be ironic if it was an illegal alien breaking into the Prius?

Hahahahaha…..

25 Anonymous May 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I wish somebody would leave Phantom/furion in a car overnight.

26 Marianne May 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Things happen, what are you going to do. :-)

27 WC Resident May 4, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Fault finding never solves anything, Thank you for telling us about this crime.
I am sick of these nasty cowards that cheat by taking our stuff!! Not our fault.
So we do need to keep everything out of sight anyway.

28 Understaffed May 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM

CCCSO used to staff 3 deputies and a Sgt for Valley Station – also had an additional deputy for Centre Contra Costa. Valley Station covers from the County areas of Clayton to Canyon to Morgan Terr. near North Livermore- Nowadays you area lucky if there area 2 deputies and a Sgt- good luck catching any of those sh!tbag burglars.

29 HOW MANY TIMES May 4, 2014 at 8:15 PM

DO YOU HAVE TO. BE TOLD NOT TO LEAVE VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR??? Stupid motherf$#%*%people! I would LOVE to hear from the owner as to why you left these things in your car?

30 The Peuking Little Runt.... May 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM

probably crawled out of Bancroft Condos. Few owners live there, most renters are low life who can’t even qualify for Section 8.

31 Wake Up People May 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM

There are no victims, only volunteers.

Quit driving up my insurance rates, thank you. If you’re that stupid, you have it coming.

They don’t get it, and they never will. If they “got it”, they’d be too embarrassed to e-mail the story.

Maybe someone will earn a lesson.

32 anon May 4, 2014 at 9:39 PM

The definition of a fool is someone that deliberately goes against good counsel.

ok maybe they were very preoccupied and forgot to take out the backpack. Could they not know to take out the backpack? hardly think so. So conclusion of the matter…’if the shoe fits’, ‘call a spade a spade’, ‘stupid is as stupid does’. take your pick.

funny man, What really impressed me was Crocodile Dundee with the can in New York City’. It’s also more practical since you may not catch the person, or you could fall and injure yourself.

Oh if one of the k-9 were only there at the time.

33 hilserie May 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I recognize where that photo was taken. I lived in that complex for five years. During that time there were multiple car break-ins. I also had my door handle rattle late at night, like someone was checking if it were locked. That was scary. Gardening tools always went missing from my backyard, etc… The trail is a straight shot to Monument from that complex. So glad I moved.

34 Anon May 5, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Real people to blame: illegal aliens, those who support illegal aliens, AB209, politicians who support this being a sanctuary state, CA AG Harris.

35 aj buttacavoli May 5, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I am in a large complex not far from Mayhew and the break-ins have been so bad they finally hired a guard at night to patrol the property and that seems to be working so far at least.

36 Common sense May 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Don’t leave your stuff in the car duhhhh

37 Life is tough, things are hard. May 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Find the criminals, convict them as criminals, let them rest in peace.

Criminals should fear us, not laugh at us.

38 Prius owners May 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM

After so many negative comments, I thought I would provide a bit more info. As the owners we take full responsibility and blame no one but ourselves. We were not expecting sympathetic remarks. I forgot to mention my husband had JUST put the backpack and iPad in the car since he was leaving at 6am. He came back into the house to grab a few other things as well as coffee,after locking up the heavily tinted window car parked directly in front of our house( meaning the items were not at all visible unless you cup your eyes and peer thru the tint). We do believe that this thief saw him put the backpack in the car and struck. We are by no means making excuses. What happened, happened. He made a simple error early Sunday morning by loading up the car because he only has two hands and needed to make multiple trips.
Now , the real REASON I posted this was because I thought this website was an outlet to inform residents in our community of goings on. I do not have email address nor do I want to go door to door letting people in our area know that we are being watched and robbed. Like I mentioned above we are unincorporated and the sherriffs do not patrol this area regularly. So if you don’t live or frequent this area then this post did not pertain to you but if you do, then it was important.
Many people park along the streets here as well as a large retirement community, daycare , auto shops that require you to leave a car overnight, and many other businesses.
I’m sorry if you thought my post stupid, irrelevant or felt the need to educate us in not leaving things in our car. If you commented on these things then you simply missed the point of the post. The point was to let our neighborhood know this stuff is going on in case they just moved here. We can never be too informed or too prepared lest it should happen to you one day. To err is human and that is what we were that day. Oh well.

39 Prius owners May 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM

After so many over the top negative comments, I thought I would provide a bit more info. As the owners we take full responsibility and blame no one but ourselves. We were not expecting sympathetic remarks. I forgot to mention my husband had JUST put the backpack and iPad in the car since he was leaving at 6am. He came back into the house to grab a few other things as well as coffee,after locking up the heavily tinted window car parked directly in front of our house( meaning the items were not at all visible unless you cup your eyes and peer thru the tint). We do believe that this thief saw him put the backpack in the car and struck. We are by no means making excuses. What happened, happened. He made a simple error early Sunday morning by loading up the car because he only has two hands and needed to make multiple trips.

40 Kerri May 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Prius owners- well said- thanks for posting this story & reminding us all to pay attention to our valuables. This can happen anywhere at anytime to all of us.

41 Okay, Okay May 5, 2014 at 12:31 PM

@ Prius Owners——38,39

Thanks for the “double post.” Mistakes do happen.

At least you take responsibility for your own mistakes. Unfortunately, with thieves out and about, you can’t even load up ahead of time, unless you’re in your garage.

You should’ve known you’d get slammed, and you did.
As far as “advising the public”, those who “get it” already “get it.”

Those who don’t get probably never will.

And, yes, I am hard on vehicle burglary victims because it drives up my insurance rates.

Vehicle burglary is a crime of opportunity, and this was an easy opportunity.

42 nytemuvr May 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM

@funny man #8
Aluminum would be easier to wash the blood off than a wood bat.

43 anonanonagain May 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM

@Prius Owners, we have all left something in our cars at one point in time or another. If someone says they haven’t ever, they are lying. Sometimes you are running errands and leave groceries or things that were just purchased as you dash into the post office etc….There are no excuses for these thieving criminals. We all work hard for our “stuff” and they think they can come along and just take it. Jail is not a deterrent. How about removing a hand?? ;)

44 funny man May 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM

#42, good point! thanks. going shopping for one today

45 Attn: Prius Owners May 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM

too bad your husband wasn’t leaving for a day of skeet shooting, and was carrying out his Remington1100 with a pocketful of #00 shells, little Pedro would have had a lead enema…..

46 WC Resident May 5, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I apologize for saying we still need to lock up our stuff. That creep was watching your husband I guess. It is not your fault and by no means are you stupid. I want to thank you for telling us about the crime. Now we will be careful. I did thank you earlier for telling us and also fault finding never solves anything.

47 trucks 24 @ 45 May 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Agreed, I’m surprised you weren’t censored. Why have people here who refuse to assimilate, degrade the quality of our country, etc. They want to recreate a slice of where they came from, which ultimately is what they fled in the first place. Slap in the face to legal Immigrants.