Two Arrested After Bait-Bike Sting Operation at the Pleasant Hill BART Station

May 2, 2014 · 44 comments

bart

A bait bike operation held this week at the Pleasant Hill BART station resulted in the arrest of two male suspects on felony grand theft charges and the recovery of a bicycle previously reported stolen from the University of California-Davis campus.

BART Police regularly conduct random surveillance operations at locations throughout the District using plainclothes officers and a bait bike.

This operation, which was held on Tuesday, April 29, 2014, was a joint operation between BART Police, San Francisco Police Department, and the Contra Costa Sheriff’s Department.  The San Francisco Police Department supplied the bait bike for this operation.

Lt. Michael Hayes of the BART Police Department, who was part of Tuesday’s operation, said, “Not only did BART Police arrest two suspects but one of them is a repeat bike theft offender in Contra Costa County, having been arrested multiple times.  The Contra Costa Sheriff’s Department says he is one of the top three bike thieves in the area.  One of the suspects was riding a bike which had previously been reported as stolen from UC Davis.  That bike is in the process of being returned to its original owner.”

“Bike sting operations are an important tool for BART Police in protecting the belongings of our riders,” Lt. Hayes said.  “Bike riders can help prevent bike theft by locking their bike using a strong u-lock, two u-locks is even better because cable locks can be easily cut.  Bike owners should also document the color, brand, model and serial numbers of their bicycle. In the event that someone steals their bicycle, the information is needed to enter into the police database. In our case, the owner provided the UC Davis Police with this information and we were able to recover their bicycle.”

According to BART’s latest quarterly performance report, there were 168 bike thefts in the second quarter of the fiscal year, down 75 from last quarter and down from the corresponding quarter of the prior fiscal year.

1 Bob the Repairman May 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM

…a repeat bike theft offender… Great, isn’t it that
they keep coming back? Why not shoot them after the
third or fourth time?

2 Starfish May 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM

anon, suggested this a while ago. That idea should have been patented!

3 Nice!!! May 2, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Good job guys!!! I recently bought a 900$ cannondale mountain bike to start hitting the trails, and I remembered claycord posting up Bart’s police report and there were hella bike stolen on different days, at the same time while I was reading that report I had mentioned to my buddies that little story, a Couple of them where like I bet it was the same people jus coming back a different day and taken the next one. I was like damn your probably right. So Bart’s walking distance from my house, I was telling them we should roll up there like 5/6 deep and lock up that new bike I got and just wait a little distance back and see if anyone’s comes thru and try’s picking my bike up and once they did jus F&@K them fool up!! Cut back to the house and the beers are on me.. Lol there lucky we wornt there today. Could u imagine paying 900$ for a bike and someone jus taken yo s&@t, I’d be hot!!

4 N's Mom May 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM

This is just awesome news!!!
Thank you LE!!!
You all rock!!!

5 Mary May 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Good grief… why does it take 3 police agencies to catch a bike thief? Can’t Bart police do it by themselves? They are underworked and overpaid as it is anyway. And not to pick on just the BART police… that is typical of most Bart employees.

6 Anonymous May 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM

What happened to “three strikes, you’re out?”

7 Mother Of One May 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Really…

8 Concordejet May 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM

sound like the BART police are lazy to go catch the criminals hummmm

That insane that the bike was stolen at the UCD and PHPD was able to pick up info where the bike was stolen from as long as the bike was reported stolen at other cities and can track down by a generated computer system and hopefully the original owner can get his/her bike back. good job PHDH.

9 Good May 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM

These fools need to be served many hours of community service. Maybe they can learn new work skills or something to keep them out of trouble. They also need to pay for what they did…like pay the people whom they took these bikes from to make them whole and pay for the hours/effort it cost the city to arrest them.

10 JLG May 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Mary Mary Good grief. Any time people can pick on workers as being overpaid and lazy they seem to.

11 iluvfriedchicken May 2, 2014 at 3:47 PM

YES! Bike theft is a serious offense in my book. I’ve had every bike I’ve ever owned in my life stolen at one point or another. No matter how good I locked them up, those rotten scum found a way. I hope these particular thieves are charged and found guilty so the judge can throw the book at them. Put them away for a while please!

12 Ellen May 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Mary, instead of seeing the positive. You harp on the negative. They were working “together”

13 Ven Xeter May 2, 2014 at 3:52 PM

With California’s “catch and release” program for serial offenders, what is the sense of this? You can’t deter crime if criminals are not held accountable for their actions.

14 The Grant May 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM

and it took BART PD how long to finally start a bike-bait operation….

15 Bill May 2, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Mary, why don’t you educate us all about how the average BART employee is under worked and overpaid.. Please reference reports from reputable sources and go ahead and add your own “expert” testimonials!!

16 BY GOD'S GRACE May 2, 2014 at 3:58 PM

something needs to be done…let CPD handle this.

17 J. May 2, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Good on BART for gettin’ it done.

18 Paul May 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM

@3 Like your idea, go do it.

19 Jerk May 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM

“…but one of them is a repeat bike theft offender in Contra Costa County, having been arrested multiple times…”
And He’ll CONTINUE to repeat.

20 Some of... May 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM

the regulars here do not recognize good news
even if it slaps them in the face.
They criticize anything to reinforce their own
out of wack points of view.
Good work keep it up!

21 CCC_N8ive May 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM

168 bike thefts in the BART system in one quarter??!!
And that (huge) number is a DECREASE??!!

Holy cow! Why would anyone ever, ever park a bike at BART? It’s almost a given that your bike will be swiped!

I notice that BART has put some bike racks inside the pay area of the station. Maybe that will help a little.

How about those enclosed bike lockers? Are they at all secure?

22 mutts May 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Hahahaha

23 Shooting thieves and burglars will not May 2, 2014 at 5:22 PM

deter the crimes. Thieves and burglars will always be thieves and burglars.

But, shooting them is the only way to keep these scum bags out of society. So arrest them, convict them and bring back the firing squads. There is no plausible excuse. Do the crime, rest in peace.

24 ANON May 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM

“Not only did BART Police arrest two suspects but one of them is a repeat bike theft offender in Contra Costa County, having been arrested multiple times.”

**********The system is a joke

“What happened to “three strikes, you’re out?”

*********These are not strikes

“”****State prison would be better

“Mary, why don’t you educate us all about how the average BART employee is under worked and overpaid..”

********** You are kidding–this is common knowledge– you must be a BART union worker & you are a joke

25 Anonymous May 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Nice job… except, these thieves will obviously be let go to continue their thieving ways. Consequently, it is a waste of time. Why bother to arrest them when there will be no lasting consequences for the thieves? I would be happier if something were actually going to be done to these hoodlums, but that isn’t the case. This is just a property crime, which is now meaningless due to overcrowded prisons.

26 Can We Have Names or a Description? May 2, 2014 at 5:41 PM

My husband had his bike stolen from the bike area in the first spot next to the little store. Why doesn’t BART post pictures of the perps right above the bike area so anyone who sees these guys can report them?

27 Dwight Schrute May 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I was late getting to PH BART one morning and I made the stupid choice of only locking my front tire and frame(I know lesson learned). I returned later that evening to my bike missing the rear wheel, but the BART cops had a person detained for bike theft, they knew him by name, he had stolen parts on him, but they would not let me search his car to locate my rear wheel…I was so hot, I just wanted 5 minutes alone with him and my pliers…I bet I would have gotten him to talk.

28 gman May 2, 2014 at 5:45 PM

pleasant hill police need to do this in the downtown area. my son has had 2 bikes stolen there and he used a strong u lock both times. apparently they stick a jack in it and break them.

29 Jolly May 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM

My husband rides his bike maybe four to six times a month and uses the enclosed cages. I don’t see why anyone riding a bike wouldn’t use them, especially if you have an expensive bike. They are secure, you have to use the same card to open (bike link card) at the end of the day that you used at the beginning of the day or it won’t open. It is cheap, 3 cents an hour, and only pay if you use it, not a monthly fee. No real down side to using them.

30 MrDioji May 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM

@21

I’ve used electronic bike lockers every work day for 2 years at PH and NConcord BART stations with no issue. It’s great. It also allows me to keep my reflective jacket, helmet, lights, bike pump, in there with no worries.

Also, 168 does sound like (and is) a lot, but thousands of bikes are parked all over the BART system every single day, so percentage-wise it is pretty low. (and a lot of people use crappy locking systems that make bike theft very easy – although obviously still very scum-baggy)

31 Eat food May 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM

The bike link lockers fill up every day, so great in theory, let’s add more please.

32 Walnut Creek Resident May 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Good job. I hope these thieves get punished.

33 Atticus Thraxx May 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM

One of BART police early attempts at a “bait” bike: http://i.imgur.com/cRmLYNp.jpg

34 KAD May 2, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Atticus Thraxx – Oh my. You always make me laugh.

35 KAD May 2, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Put a camera pointing at the bikes and see what happens.

36 BART May 2, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Only took 2,000 bikes being stolen for BART from every single station to do something about it. Better late than never!

37 Greg in Pleasant Hill May 3, 2014 at 4:05 AM

“Contra Costa Centre”

lol.

38 Teacher Wannabe May 3, 2014 at 8:24 AM

@ Jolly, MrDioji. Afree. I’ve used BikeLink for 2 years and never a problem.
@ Eat food, I don’t know, I use lockers at concord and San Leandro and never fail to find an open locker. Maybe its my timing.

Bottom line is, they work and their cheap.

39 Michelle May 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Great job CPD! Way to get the thieves, bait bike is a wonderful idea–all this news about stolen bikes and broken locks–this program should have started earlier.

40 ChampagneKitty May 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM

to Michelle #39–I agree with you, except CPD was not involved in this. The sting operation was in Pleasant Hill, not Concord. “This operation, which was held on Tuesday, April 29, 2014, was a joint operation between BART Police, San Francisco Police Department, and the Contra Costa Sheriff’s Department.”

41 Bill May 3, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Ha ha, Anon #24.. The guy who’s such a wussie that he posts anonymously is calling people names and judging.. BART employees went over 10 years without several promised small raises because management said it would negatively effect BART. (At the same time executives increased their own pay and gave themselves huge bonuses!!) Union BART employee’s salaries are capped at around $63k per year. Because of under staffing, (Management’s fault) they often work overtime and overall compensation rises above the cap. By far the executives and BART Police take in the highest pay, well into 6 figures! http://www.mercurynews.com/salaries/bay-area?Entity=Bay%20Area%20Rapid%20Transit Hey Anon #24, why don’t you get a job at BART and close/open the Richmond Station every night, tripping over bums and slipping in urine & feces?? Tell us all about how overpaid and under worked you are.. I have nothing to do with Unions or BART, I’m just not as small minded as you are..

42 Michelle May 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Thanks ChampagneKitty,
Whomever is involved………

43 Silva May 4, 2014 at 3:38 AM

Atticus Thraxx: Well, it took all of the dignity I could muster not waking the house with peals of laughter. Thank you.

44 Col May 5, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Glad those human s••• sacks were caught. Mayor,Can you please keep us posted if the PD finds any of the other stolen bikes? My family had 3 bikes that were locked with a heavy U lock,stolen from our back patio a few weeks ago.It was the kids only way to school, and work, and took me 3 months to custom build the bikes part by part.Hope karma reeks havoc on these idiots for the rest of their lives. Sorry, just frustrated, and had to vent.