One Month Later, Illegally Dumped Trash Remains on Shary Circle in Concord

April 29, 2014 17:30 pm · 32 comments

march24

A month ago, Claycord.com posted the picture shown above, which was taken on Shary Circle in Concord, along with a story about how the City of Concord hired a company in Oakland to remove illegally dumped trash from city streets.

Over one month later, the illegally dumped trash on Shary Circle hasn’t been hauled away, but scavengers have taken some and picked through the rest (see below).

Don’t dump your junk!

march242

Thanks to Tim for the pictures.

1 Road King Terry April 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM

There is still trash on Chestnut Ave. aswell

2 Momo April 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Is this an industrial area?

3 qwerty April 29, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Losers: City of Concord for no follow-thru on the company they allegedly hired to perform the service.

Losers: The residents of the neighborhood who let it sit there for weeks.

4 concord April 29, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Why would they hire a company from the City of Jokeland to take care of this? I say get rid that company and hire another. That is disgusting. They should increase the fine to $5,000 for dumping or else complete community service picking up litter and dumped debris and furniture.

5 Dorothy April 29, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Maybe Concord could hire a company that doesn’t (non) work out of Oakland? Someone closer to Concord?

6 You mean April 29, 2014 at 6:44 PM

The neighborhood residents can’t each grab
a little and put in their recepticals, rather than
let it sit there and complain about it.
It’s bad enough someone dumped it, but your
block doesn’t care enough to handle it?
Wouldn’t sit that long on our block.

7 Julio April 29, 2014 at 7:03 PM

The garbage company in Antioch has an agreement with the city to pick those things up. Sometimes we have to make a phone call but usually it is done without one.

This really reflects on your city government. Call call call and never stop calling. City employees seem to drive right by this stuff and do not see it.

8 anon April 29, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I called code enforcement 3 times in the last couple of months regarding my neighbors trash, weeds, vehicles parked in the front yard and garbage cans in their front yard. Code Enforcement has driven by 5 times and still nothing has changed.
My next letter is going to be to the Police Chief since he is in charge of enforcing muni codes.

9 .. April 29, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Some rates form one of areas garbage transfer stations,
Minimum Charge $25.00
Refrigerators, Air Conditioning Units $44.00 Each
Washers and Stoves $44.00 Each
All Other Appliances $32.00 Each
Mattress and Box Spring – Larger Than Twin Size $28.00 Each
TVs and CRTs $32.00 Each

Top picture is what about $45 to $50 to get it legally dumped?
Bring back the Spring clean up.

10 DanMtz April 29, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Momo, yes this is light industrial, right behind Costco. My previous employer had a facility there back in the old days. Like many light industrial areas, they are pretty empty after hours, so they are magnets for all kinds of nefarious activities.

11 California Nightmare April 29, 2014 at 7:28 PM

All is not well in Concord.

Money needed to fund neighborhood clean up, trash removal, and road repair has been “re-purposed” to pay for absurdly high police management and officer pay and benefit packages.

The police department now consumes over 60% of the total city budget, We need more police officers, but we can’t hire them because the police union has pushed costs to the sky.

The cost per year to Concord for some police officer’s pay and benefits? over $200,000. Try almost $300,000 for some lieutenants. This is public record.

Since the 2008 downturn, city management has done a good job of managing scarce dollars, but unless the City Council stands up to the police department and demands concessions, things will just get worse.

12 ConcordMike April 29, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Deluge your council members or board of supervisors with complaints.

13 Julio April 29, 2014 at 8:01 PM

They could even find out whose it is if they bothered to spend a couple of seconds looking for a bill or envelope to identify and prosecute. Rubber gloves work well for this.

14 Coggins Square April 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Strange, I work on Shary Circle, and have never noticed this trash!!

15 dave April 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM

it’s all good .. concord is paying big bucks to some oakland company to fix this…. and still waiting… still waiting!!!

16 dave April 29, 2014 at 8:48 PM

money well spent!!!

17 dave April 29, 2014 at 8:58 PM

OK .. now in defense of concord, that is not the same trash pile.. when can we start getting mad at the scumbags who dump it.

18 Anon April 29, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Nice to know we have a local transfer station.

19 Cracky McGee April 29, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Concord … Where families come first!
LOL!
LOL!
LOL!

20 lazybums April 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM

eVERYONE JUST LOOKS AT IT AND B*TCHES, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING IN LIFE…WAIT FOR THE NEXT GUY TO DO IT!
Your City will not improve until you take action Concord

21 The Mamba April 30, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Obviously this needs to go through the right channels, it can take months to get union approval and the necessary insurance to pick up that trash.

22 EdiBirsan April 30, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I just went and drove around Shary Circle and Shary Court and this appears to be gone. Possibly picked up yesterday. I am checking. Also checking with the garbage pick up in the area to find out why it was not picked up in the interim.

If you have garbage problems like this, don’t wait a month, contact Public Works 671-3448 or Code Enforcement 671-3282 as appropriate.

23 BagsFlyFree April 30, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Concord courts should mandate community service to strictly roadside cleanup duties. Dispatch logs to certain areas should warrant lighting and or camera installations to catch dumpers.

BFF Out!!

24 formeremployee April 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Hmmm, seems dumping garbage leads to recycling. Looks like half that stuff got repurposed. Maybe we should all dump our garbage on the streets.

25 @24 April 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Repurposed? More like spread all over the street until the wind blew it away.

26 JDS April 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM

The pile is across the street from my shop on shary.
That is the same trash pile. I called the day after it was dumped and two times after that.
I topped off my dump trailer three times, trying to do what I could to improve the area I work in. It wasn’t scavengers who took the debris.
At $80.00 per ton and an hour and a half round trip to dump the debris as well as 6 miles per gallon in fuel, dumping trash at the transfer station is not cheap. I’m there at least once every week with a load and have been for 16 years.
I pick up trash on shary circle on a regular basis because if I don’t, there would always be piles of trash, couches and who knows what else lying around. Calling code enforcment is a joke. They don’t answer the phone and take two weeks to call you back. If you work like me and are not available to answer their call back two weeks later you can’t reach them when you call back. It’s a joke.
The shary circle area is a slum due to the folks that hang out after hours. The police need to patrol this area more often and keep the dirtbag tweekers away.

I’m extremely frustrated with the theft and vandalism I have had to deal with over the years.

27 Aspirin April 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM

If it’s in the street it is the City’s responsibility.

28 EdiBirsan April 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM

@JDS

Send me an email and let us talk, I will come to your office.

EdiBirsan@astound.net

29 @JDS April 30, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Thank you for getting up off your ass and actually doing something to help the situation, unlike the “piss and moan” crowd. Obviously, you shouldn’t have to pick up trash for slobs, but I appreciate that you do.

I think a large part of the problem is dump fees. I know it usually costs me at least $50 to dump my pickup truck, which is insane. Yes, I realize that some people wouldn’t take their trash to the dump even if it were free, but I think quite a few more would if it were at least reasonable.

30 anon April 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM

When you call code enforcement you get a message to call another number Monday thru Friday and someone will answer the phone. When you call the second number you get another answering machine. Get rid of one of your answering systems if your never going to answer the phone!

31 anon April 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Next morning, when we got a phone call from officer Obie. He said, “Kid,
We found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a half a ton of
Garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it.” And
I said, “Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope
Under that garbage.”

32 Enough ! May 1, 2014 at 1:18 PM

The reporting to Code Enforcement is clearly broken.

No option to request a Spanish or Hindi speaker, in our city we should have multillingual services if we want people to report.
—————————————————————————————————————-