Traffic Stops While Man Walks Down the Middle of Clayton Rd.

April 28, 2014 17:31 pm · 55 comments

walking

A Claycordian snapped this photo while trying to drive down Clayton Rd.

Here’s the scoop….

We were driving on Clayton Rd. near the Mt. Mike’s located next to the bowling alley (I was the passenger) when all of a sudden traffic came to a stop. As we looked past all the cars, we noticed there was a man walking down the middle of Clayton Rd. All traffic came to a stop while he walked about 50 feet and then crossed near the hotel.

I was able to finally get a photo as he was crossing to the other side. Horns were honking like crazy, but he just ignored them all. Just want to warn other Claycordians that there’s a guy out there who doesn’t care if he’s hit by a car.

Thanks for the warning, and for the picture.

We received other tips about this guy over the weekend.

Always keep an eye out for jay-walkers.

1 Anon April 28, 2014 at 5:32 PM

To bad there isn’t a a law against jay walking, or police to enforce it.

2 DanMtz April 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM

My evil side tells me this is a self-correcting problem.

3 anon April 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I posted a vid a while back of this same thing and was slammed by people here for driving “too close” to a jaywalker.

4 That one guy April 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM

That’s Mr. Dumass!

5 Labetta April 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Theres always jaywalkers in clayton. There are probably more than 5 times I encounter same situation.

6 He is Challenging Drivers..... April 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM

attempt to reprimand him and he will probably kill you.

7 anonanonagain April 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM

I see so many people these days crossing busy intersections as if it is the safest thing in the world to do. Perhaps it’s a cultural thing?
Talk about being on a suicide mission. Wasn’t there a few people killed on Clayton Rd. in the last few years Mr. Mayor? I recall a homeless man being hit.

8 Cowellian April 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM

The fact that he’d make such an ugly hood ornament probably saved him.

9 traffic cop April 28, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Cmon, I know you got a great shot of a passing by pedestrian but REALLY?- looks as if YOU were at fault too! Cus we know you were IN THE DRIVERS SIDE! Hands free! buddie! :-) -KEEP YOUR EYES OFF THE CAMERA AND ON THE ROAD!

10 Dorothy April 28, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Maybe he was hoping to get clipped so he could sue someone. Can’t see him all that well but he doesn’t look like he’s any too happy about something.

11 traffic cop April 28, 2014 at 7:21 PM

People get ran over in CROSSWALKS EVERY OTHER DAY. OH YA. PEDESTRIANS HAVE RT OF WAY!! So slow down n stay OFF YOUR PHONE! Drive safely

12 traffic cop April 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM

and by the way…. do you know how many times someone has ripped a corner when they had to write on red.

13 Elouise April 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Was this the same guy walking naked down clayton road a couple of months ago-just asking.

14 kj#2 April 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM

This is dangerous! The sad thing is someone who hits him their life will be changed forever! Clayton rd is dangerous especially when the sun shines on your window.This needs to be stopped!

15 Ralph April 28, 2014 at 7:36 PM

And he had been hit, people would blame the driver.

16 Grammar Police April 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Traffic Cop is being placed on administrative leave without pay for abuse of the language.

17 bluebird April 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM

There was a woman who crossed Clatyon from the 99 cent store/TJ Max area just before this fool. She too had traffic stopping for her. She was talking on her cell phone the entire time she was cutting around cars. No respect for drivers. There are three lanes and you expect the far lane to see why the inside lane stopped? You are just asking for someone to hit you. The crosswalk wasn’t that far away. Something she should have been taught in Kindergarten.

18 traffic cop April 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Yeah yeah I know your at fault! Whats your license plate #?

19 traffic cop April 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Dont talk back to THE COPS!

20 who? April 28, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Dan mtz and grammer police SHUTUP! IDIOTS!!!!!!……

21 SeeK April 28, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Dorothy,
How can you tell he’s not happy? You’re looking at the back of his head.

22 anon April 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Never a dull moment in Concord. At least we have Claycord to keep us informed.

23 Stella April 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Clayton road is a dangerous place, people should take heed to that. Why are people such idiots!

24 Cowellian April 28, 2014 at 8:30 PM

That much stupidity should be painful.

25 jrconcord April 28, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Daddy?

26 Amy April 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Maybe he was one of Concord’s 10 (make that 9 after the last homeless guy got hit by a car).

27 anon April 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Maybe a serious mental condition and no room for him.

28 Miles Microft April 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Why did the Crazy Guy cross the road?

29 Mimi (original) April 28, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Idiot! The world is made up of 95% idiots.

30 Clayton has the worst pedestrians and bike riders in town... April 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Could’ve swore Claycord was reporting a pedestrian death on that street once every few weeks last summer. It’s not hard to imagine why: at least once a day I see some crack head or drunk wandering out into the middle of the road. Bicyclists on that road also tend to be suicidal. I’ve had my fair share of near misses caused by idiots riding against traffic on Clayton.

Drivers need to be cautious of these people. They are technically in the right since, on paper, they have the right of way. I just wish some pedestrians on that road would have the sense to realize that paper law doesn’t physically shield them from the real life law of:

speeding car > your fleshy body of blood n’ bones

31 Jim April 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Happens all the time in WC. People walk wherever they want, whenever they want.

32 Suzanne April 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Jim, it is a rarity in Concord. It’s just plain odd.

33 MrDuckyWucky April 29, 2014 at 12:10 AM

tsk tsk..but whatever you do, you mustn’t violate HIS rights!

34 I'm The Urban Spaceman April 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM

>>>Jim April 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Happens all the time in WC. People walk wherever they want, whenever they want.<<<over my presence in the middle of the street, sans crosswalk…SCREWYOUBUDDYI’MTALKINGHERE!!
It’s good to be King…

35 Me April 29, 2014 at 5:32 AM

One time on Alhambra in front of the hospital a guy in a ninja suit, head band, the works, jumped in front of my car, I slammed on the breaks and he began to karate kick my car and punch it. I drove off a couple blocks, called 911. The policeman said ” Another typical day in Martinez….

36 Suzanne April 29, 2014 at 6:45 AM

Ohhh…Mr. DuckyWucky…

37 JET April 29, 2014 at 6:52 AM

What has happened to this area? I grew up around here and it used to be such a nice area, I don’t know why suddenly it has become like this….. there were never all of these low lifes around here 20 years ago, now they are all over the Kirker Pass/Clayton Road area….. what is the attraction for these people to that specific area? It seems highly concentrated there must be some reason??

38 who April 29, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Who is “HIS”?

39 jb April 29, 2014 at 7:08 AM

I live on clayton road…and every day when I leave I deal with homeless people
walking across the road…not at a crosswalk…bikes that seem to own the road…and yes go thru red lights…they seem to have the right of way at all times…and drivers that love to drive so fast…to get to the next red light…why are people in such a big hurry these days….slow down people…the life you save maybe your own….think about it…please…do not drive fast…to get someplace a few seconds early is not worth it….please slow down…..

40 Darwin April 29, 2014 at 8:08 AM

This problem will solve itself….DARWIN

41 kcb April 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I highly doubt “traffic cop” is an actual cop…one of those wannabees. Jaywalking should be illegal. I’ve heard of homeless people purposely getting hit by cars for money. It’s not right, especially on Clayton Rd. where it can be very difficult to see someone from the median.

42 anon April 29, 2014 at 8:18 AM

We live in the hurry up generation. This is what were are teaching the next generation and so on. Not pretty but we seem to be headed that way.

43 Monkey April 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM

@traffic cop guy that filmed this was a passenger!!!

44 Rose April 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM

jb..So right…

45 Cowellian April 29, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Pedestrian right-of-way is not absolute.

SFGate: Speeding deputy won’t be charged in fatal crash

46 Old Guy April 29, 2014 at 9:21 AM

This is symbolic of people today and part off a bigger problem . . . . People Do Not Care About Others Rights or Traffic Laws . . . . They Will Do What They Want To Do and Others Be Damned!
You see it all the time . . . J-Walking, Speeding, Running Red Lights, Aggression Towards Others, Pushing In Front Of You In Line At The Grocery Store, Flipping People Off , Shouting At Someone, and Daring You To Do Something About It.
It’s all about me, me, me and you be damned!
Somewhere, somehow we’ve created a very ugly society.

47 OnYourKnees April 29, 2014 at 9:25 AM

It’s the Law we have to worry about–piggy backing on and infringing the rights of other people. Why can’t people wise up and not just think of themselves.

48 All will agree that April 29, 2014 at 9:49 AM

‘traffic cop’ is really Mr. Dumass!

49 Theo April 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Enlarge the photo and check out his right hand. It appears as though he is flipping the bird in a downward motion. Possibly meant for those honking their horns at him? I could definitely be wrong, though.

50 Concord Guy April 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Section 8 housing in the area is part of the problem.

51 Mr. Pink April 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I certainly hop “traffic cop” is not a real cop. *shudder*

A pedestrian does not have the right of way when they’re running across the middle of a busy street like Clayton Rd. But sadly most insurance companies will pay them something if you hit them because it’s cheaper than going to court.

And I agree with JET. Having grown up in these parts, I’m saddened by just how bad the area seems to have become. Clayton Rd. is a cavalcade of crap, homeless people, low-life, thuggish, “gangsta” looking losers, a-hole drivers, you name it. I think it should become open season on some of these people; clean out the trash. As the Joker said, “This town needs an enema.”

52 Greg in Pleasant Hill April 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM

This is an OUTRAGE!!

53 Mike Meyer April 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM

How about the idiot that tried to stop traffic so two geese could cross the road. I wonder who they would sue when they get hit by a passing car.

54 gimli April 29, 2014 at 7:34 PM

In no way am I saying that what this guy is doing is right, however, Clayton Road is a “stroad” and that area in particular does not have enough ways to get to the other side. You have to either walk all the way to Ygnacio or back to Lucky to get across. Clayton Road being poorly designed, just cobbled together. Also “jaywalking” is an automobile industry term. Look up the history.

55 lmao May 1, 2014 at 2:08 PM

i have jaywalked at that exact location more times than i can count.