DeSaulnier Bill to Improve Security of Consumer’s Online Information Passes Committee

April 25, 2014 · 9 comments

A bill to protect the personal information of consumers posted on commercial websites passed the Senate Judiciary Committee this week, according to Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-Concord).

SB 1348 by Senator DeSaulnier gives consumers increased rights over their personal information that is posted on commercial internet web sites, and limits how it is bought, sold, and traded to unregulated third-parties.

“Consumers have a right to protect their personal information,” Senator DeSaulnier said. “Too often unregulated data brokers are buying, selling, and trading the personal information of Californians. Consumers should have the option to opt-out of their personal information being displayed or sold online. SB 1348 allows consumers to maintain their constitutional right to personal privacy.”

Research from the Pew Center indicates that 68% of US internet users feel that current laws are not sufficient to protect people’s privacy online, and that 86% of users have taken steps to mask their digital footprint. This bill would take small steps towards establishing a citizen’s fundamental right to privacy in the modern digital world.

This bill requires an online data broker who sells personal information to third parties to allow California residents to opt-out of the sale and public posting of their personal information upon request. SB 1348 requires a data broker to remove an individual’s personal information from their internet website, upon request by the individual. Additionally, the bill prohibits the data broker from re-posting the individual’s personal information or transferring the information to another business entity.

1 Do these clowns; DeSaulnier, Bonilla, etc. really feel it necessary......... April 25, 2014 at 3:16 PM

to continually churn out these inane, redundant laws as a way of justifying their elected positions. Isn’t there something more porductive they could be doing for their constituents.

2 Elwood April 25, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Do these clowns etc.:

Yes. This is how they justify their existence. “Look at me! Look at all the wonderful bills I’ve introduced! See how hard I’m working for you!”

I call bull****.

3 Anon April 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Won’t work…..Take a look at how the Do Not Call List works,, it doesn’t.

4 BagsFlyFree April 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I’m for this bill when dealing with merchants I use online.. For sites I post on (social, blogs, message boards), well thats my own doing … Don’t post personal info for free.. Might as well get paid if you are offering companies marketing data per post.

Claycord gets a pass because it’s community, and doesn’t feed on personal infomation being shared/sold to thrive.

BFF Out!

5 Rob April 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Anon April 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Won’t work…..Take a look at how the Do Not Call List works,, it doesn’t.

>> It works for me, after I signed up I cannot remember the last time I received a telemarketing call.

6 Atticus Thraxx April 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Utterly and completely unenforceable as I’m sure the good Senator is aware.

7 funny man April 25, 2014 at 5:59 PM

im pretty sure the nigerians (or most criminals for that matter) dont bother complying with clownifornia laws

8 . April 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM

More of this claptrap from the “there ought to be a law” senator… If I can’t think of another law, I’ll ask for suggestions.

9 Bob the Repairman April 26, 2014 at 7:50 AM