Food Trucks Rolling into Central Contra Costa County

April 24, 2014 · 59 comments

The food truck revolution that has rolled into cities nationwide is making its way to Central Contra Costa County.

Lunchtime food trucks are coming to both Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill starting May 1.

Off the Grid, a popular company that groups, promotes and manages street food vendors into marketplaces, will bring about nine food trucks to Trelany Road behind Pleasant Hill City Hall every Thursday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The Taste of the World Market will debut in a central square between the Contra Costa Centre Transit Village and the Pleasant Hill BART station in unincorporated Walnut Creek each Thursday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the next year, according to market organizer Javid Ebrahimi.

Ebrahimi’s food truck, Grab & Go Kebob, will join about five other food trucks serving a wide range of cuisine and a juice bar.

Customers at the new food truck market will be able to choose between a variety of different food including barbecue, Asian fusion dishes, Filipino, Hawaiian and Persian cuisine.

A portion of the proceeds from the market will go to Fedu, a crowd-funding organization that raises funds to build schools and create educational opportunities in other countries.

“We’re trying to give people a cultural experience through food,” Ebrahimi said.

Depending on how the food market fares, he and his fellow food truck owners hope to host another market at the transit center an additional day each week.

The Walnut Creek native, whose family owns the Copper Skillet restaurant in Martinez, said he’s looking forward to having a food truck closer to home, rather than having to drive to Oakland or San Francisco.

“I thought, ‘All the big cities are doing it, why can’t we do it?'” he said.

Ebrahimi credited Martinez’s city leaders for welcoming the Food Truck Mafia’s “Street Eats” market earlier this year, which he believes helped pave the way for food truck markets in Concord, Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill.

1 mutts April 24, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Are they clean?

2 J April 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM

This rules

3 Cheryl April 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Great news! Yeah

4 Steve H. April 24, 2014 at 8:42 AM

It’s sure to be better fare than any of Clayton Road’s fast slop restaurants.

5 Pyrrhus April 24, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Modern food trucks are not the taco trucks and roach coaches of yesteryear. They often offer gourmet fusion type food. Also, unlike trucks of the past, they are not cheap. It won’t be quite as expensive as a sit down restaurant, but definitely more expensive than any fast food joint.

Anyways, I love food trucks and go to the Eat Real Food Festival every year at Jack London Square. Here’s my recommendations, Senior Sigsig, Bacon Bacon, Chairman Bao Bun, Koja Kitchen, CurryUpNow, Sam’s Chowder Mobile, and Frozen Kuhsterd,

6 anon April 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Do they offer free food tasting?

7 PH FAN April 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM

YAY!! This is awesome!

8 mutts April 24, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I can feel my veins clogging! I’ll try it though.

9 Schmee April 24, 2014 at 9:20 AM

There’s already a bunch every Saturday in willows.

10 BagsFlyFree April 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Hopefully the vibe will catch on similar to Berkeley’s Gourmet Ghetto OTG… A few hours of fun n food, then poof! they are off to the next city…

Will music and or seating accompany the trucks?

11 anon April 24, 2014 at 9:43 AM

yeah! yes this is all the rage now. theyre as clean as any other place. finally some good food choices around here. i guess i’ll bring my lawn chair and umbrella.

maybe we should start considering now where we would like them in claycord. i dont think todos santos. just not right with the restaurants there already, but it could be a nice addition to the farmers market. maybe they’d have to shut down a few streets to traffic. there is that side street with a bar that smells nasty when you walk by it. i dont know where else is busy enough maybe sun at the concord high farmers mrkt.

12 anon April 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I’d think it would be smart for them to offer small samples in those little tiny paper cups. if they dont i would ask, since some of this could be very new tastes. i’d think they’d be more interested in customers having a small sample then for someone to be dissatisfied or return a plate. but don’t think it will be like costco in that you can basically go around and there’s your lunch.

13 Blech April 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM

The Roach Coach Brigade.

14 Suzanne April 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I have to try the food trucks at least once, I hope there will be music and seating.

15 ANON April 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Do they pay local taxes, do they live here ???

16 The Classist April 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM

How fabulously low brow!
I may stoop to the common people’s level for the day and
have Jeeves drive me over to the ghetto for some of this exquisite cuisine!

17 Macho man April 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM

This is just a upgraded roach coach, still filthy kitchens and inside filth. Yuck

18 Dorothy April 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Hope they are above the french fried Twinkies and Snickers bars. Also not a fan of out door eating.

19 Cuzzzzzzzzzzzzz April 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I have gone to a couple of the food truck events in Alameda and was quite impressed. They have some really good ethnic foods. It is a really fun family atmosphere.

Also to those wondering about cleanliness the health inspectors tend to be tighter on the trucks then they are on brick & mortar restaurants. And yes they must have a business license in the city where they are selling food thus paying local taxes

I thought I read somewhere that they were holding food truck events at the Willows. Does anyone know if that is the case?????

20 Sofa King April 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM

This same outfit also produces a food truck gathering at the Martinez Marina every Saturday. Great food!

21 Mac April 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Anyone remember Rosie ?
Had a food truck that came in Royal Trucking every morning in the mid 70`s.
She hired someone to off her husband, and was sent to jail.
My buddy owned her 20 bucks, and was scared she`d come looking for him :-)

She was a nice lady, it surprised me she did what she did.

Will never forget Rosie and her story.

I did love the egg & bacon sandwiches off that food truck.

22 Shuley April 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Off the Grid has been in Concord for quite some time now. I have been a couple of times. It’s at Willows on Saturday lunch time. Parking is hell but it’s a fun time..

23 Concord Living April 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Can’t wait! :-)

24 None April 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM

More dirty trucks with food you guys can keep them all for yourselves lol nasty dirty foot lol !

25 Wizard April 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Love those food trucks ;-) .

26 Cuzzzzzzzzzzzzz April 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Thanks fo r the info Shuley – it appears it is the same outfit that runds the food truck event in Alameda.

27 Young1 April 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Food trucks (off the grid) already have been coming to contra costa area. They were at todos santos plaza earlier this month and a week ago they were in the willows shopping center. Come on claycord keep up with the locals lol

28 Trink April 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I’m sure these won’t be the “roach coaches” of yesteryear. Portland has a huge food cart scene and they offer great food and are well regulated. Hopefully, the case will be the same here. I look forward to seeing the offerings. Should be interesting!

29 Peanut April 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I went to the one in the Willows about a month or two ago. They have a wide arange of foods. I had a grilled mac n cheese w/bacon. To die for. My daughter had Kinders. There was music and some chairs. The trucks are new and everything looked clean. Can’t wait to try the other ones. Yum

30 Reddit April 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM

This is not Walnut Creek. This is Pleasant Hill. Let’s just get that straight.

31 ANON April 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM

“And yes they must have a business license in the city where they are selling food thus paying local taxes”

That is not sales tax nor property tax or many other taxes a real store pays.

32 Vanessa April 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Lets hope these aren’t roach coaches with insects crawling everywhere. So when you bite into them you get these yellowish globs with bugs all over your face. THAT is DISGUSTING!!

33 Rose April 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Dr. Jellyfinger,
I seem to recall something of the story of Rosie; I thought she was trying to off her husband’s lying lover. It may not be the same story.

34 Concord Grape April 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM

In the mid 50’s (making $1.05 an hour) a roach coach would come tin every morning where I worked. Breakfast consisted of a hot dog. piece of apple pie and chocolate milk. Yuuuum!

35 Cracky McGee April 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

These aren’t roach coaches, they’re gourmet restaurants on wheels! Have had some of the best made to order, delicious food from several of the Off The Grid trucks! Looking forward to trying more!

36 Justin April 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Good, I love Off the Grid. The more food trucks, the better.

These comments – you can tell who’s old and hasn’t been to a truck in years. Food trucks are not considered dirty or gross anymore – oftentimes they’re more akin to popup delicacies serving a few very specific, and delicious fusion delights.

Should get out of your LaZBoy and try em out.

37 FEDU... April 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I’m all for supporting schools, in America!
We just gave the Ukraine 500 mill.
This would be good if it supported our
under- performing schools !

38 Mom of the Horde April 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I’ve been to the OTG at the Willows a few times. My favorites are Sanguchon and Bacon Bacon.

39 Roz April 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM

We have enjoyed the different foods with OTG @ the willows shopping center.
Glad they are going to have more places to get some tasty treats.
I haven’t asked any of them if they do sample,…might have to ask about that.

40 Work on a food truck April 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

All these posts about how gross the trucks are is just ignorant! I work on one and we are held to higher standards than your local restaurant! Especially in CoCo County!! My truck is no taco truck!! The health dept can show up anytime (and they do) and either pass of fail us! I work hard to keep it clean!!

I invite you all to come and try the diverse amounts of food! These really are people who make delishious dishes and are proud to show off their amazing treats!!
Please come, try us!! We’re defiantly worth every penny!! Please look at the recommendations for the trucks above!! They are really good!! I don’t work for the Chairman truck but if you get to try it.. Spicy chicken bun is the bomb!!!

41 TinFoiler April 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Yee Haw!!! It’s the new rage – Eat a Stick of Butter, live a little – Throw caution to the wind!! Don’t worry about artery clogging saturated Fat, All that matters is your Happiness while devouring this comfort food. Life’s too short, Heck a Triple bypass will be as easy as a teeth cleaning by time you reach that age!
PS: Do these Trucks have a Nutritional Statement available?

42 Connie Dobbs April 24, 2014 at 8:23 PM

#41 I thought it was my body and my choice.

43 Karma April 24, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Don’t forget the Bend in Walnut Creek, coming soon! It’s at the old La Virage site… great location, can’t wait to try the yummy food! I work around the corner. It will be walking distance from my office. :)

44 mika April 24, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Don’t be knocking taco trucks! Good food! Also, do they set out tables and chairs for folks to eat at?

45 Michelle April 24, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Not forgotten. lol :-)

46 anon April 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM

you ‘roach coachers’ are dating yourself. this is a whole new trend. before they were around mainly to provide food for hungry workers. now it’s all about the trendy food and talented cooks.

47 Wow #2 April 25, 2014 at 1:09 AM

I have seen a few food trucks in the monument area already, there is one that is on virginia lane.

48 JL April 25, 2014 at 6:42 AM

#31 Reddit, the area around PH Bart is considered unincorporated Walnut Creek.

49 Miss Ranchogirl April 25, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Everybody is talking about the cleanliness of the food trucks…..but nobody questions where the food was prepared or stored begore it gets on the trucks. Obviously it is not cooked / prepared on the trucks, but only finished. Is that place checked by the health department too?

50 Jenny April 25, 2014 at 8:36 AM

We LOVED having the Food Trucks here in Martinez! Huge Variety of different foods – all of the food trucks were extremely clean and the food was excellent! My favorite were the Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Gyros and the Slider Food Truck!! 6 Different Kinds of Sliders YUMMY! There was even a Gelato Food Truck!

51 Jessica April 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Ban all food trucks… lol slithering wastes.

52 Cuzzzzzzzzzzzzz April 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Miss Ranchogirl – you do know that most home kitchens would not pass a health inspection don’t you??? Surface are not sanitized daily (no Clorox wipes don’t count), sponges and wipe rags are not sanitized daily, food items not stored properly etc……….
The entire “oh my good germs/bacteria” thing is out of control.

53 Paul April 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM

In response to the numerous postings concerning the cleanliness of the trucks, i’m the owner and operator of the Sweet and Mellow coffee and desserts truck and I can assure you that trucks owners like me who take pride in their business and do things the way they are supposed to be done per county health inspections should not be of concern. Trucks are supposed to inspected at least annually and are subject to on the spot unannounced inspections by the local health departments. They’re storage and handling practices are also reviewed. Always look for the required permits posted on each truck and make sure it’s legit and current. The bottom line is that you as a consumer have the power to vote with your dollars. If you see a truck that isn’t up to your standards then do not patronize them. Same as you would a brick and mortar.

54 ChampagneKitty April 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Thank you for your comment, Paul.

55 Ridiculously Clean.. April 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I can’t speak for all the food trucks, but as for the one I worked in, it was really clean. The entire inside was fitted with fully waterproof stainless steel, and every night the truck would be scrubbed and hosed out. All of the food was cooked to order, and it didn’t just sit around in containers. I’m a germaphobe and it was immaculately clean.

Senior Sesig has amazing burritos btw, if you’re a burrito buff.

56 Miss Ranchogirl April 25, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Yep . Certainly am aware of that @ cuzzzzz
My point is that nobody asked about inspections of storage and prep area! Nobody talks about that, just the foodtruck itself! Just wondering how that is dealt with! Maybe all the foodtruck owners can inform us on how that works and how frequently it gets inspected. Thanks

57 Work on a food truck April 26, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Miss Ranchogirl.
The commissaries where the food it prepped and stored are also regulated by the health inspectors. They have industrial kitchens as well as industrial refrigerators and freezers. Like 53 said they probably are cleaner than most home kitchens.
Hope that helps make up your mind about trying a food truck!! There are still the roach coaches I wouldn’t touch with a stick but anything off the grid or food truck mafia has are amazing!!

58 Miss Ranchogirl April 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Thank you@ work on a food truck! I tried to go to the Willows a few weeks back, but the parking was so horrendous, i left wothout trying out the food! I will try again!
I am not sure why you are comparing an industrial kitchen with a home kitchen…? Really cant compare them!

59 Food Trucks April 26, 2014 at 9:42 PM

The off the grid food trucks are amazing! Of course what I cook is better, but the variety of dishes those workers come with as food to go is amazing.