After 46-years, Farm Bureau Rd. in Concord is No Longer a Truck Route

April 24, 2014 10:00 am · 35 comments

trucks

The City of Concord has taken Farm Bureau Rd. off its designated truck route, and trucks over three-tons are no longer allowed on the road.

According to the city, the weight of trucks traveling on a daily basis on Farm Bureau Road has contributed significantly to its wear-and-tear and poor pavement conditions. In addition, the residential community around Farm Bureau Road is concerned about the safety risk of exposure to truck traffic, especially for children walking and bicycling to Wren Avenue Elementary School.

Farm Bureau Rd. has been a designated truck route since 1968.

1 Winston April 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I think this is a good call. It will keep heavy trucks on the freeway and off Concord’s streets, which will save wear on Willow Pass as well as on Farm Bureau because most trucks will probably take 4 to 242 to East St to get to Clayton Rd. Concord is still running a deficit when depreciation of its assets into account and every little bit helps.

2 h April 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

its about time!!

3 anon April 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Along time ago I gave a truck driver directions to the Naval Weapons Station He went down Landana Dr. carrying bombs on a flat bed.

4 ANON April 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Get back to me in a year to advise how many tickets were written for this offense. Actually how many were written in the entire city all year.

5 The Realist April 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Bull pucky! More likely they don’t have the money, even after soaking us for more taxes, to upkeep the road.
We’ll see more no truck routes “for the children” in the coming months as they try and hide the fact that the roads are deteriorating.

6 How can they April 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM

hide the fact that the roads are deteriorating ,
Every one knows. But you get more comments
about fried chicken stores than the fact you can
barley see the lane lines or bots dots most of
the time on Clayton road because of heavy
gravel trucks.
But we wouldn’t want to upset ” free market”
enterprise.

7 Truck drivers complained April 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Farm Bureau Road is more like a cattle trail than a city street. One trip down FBR is like driving 3000 miles on any freeway. FBR is the gravel road the freight train took.

8 Mac April 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Times are a changing….
I owned a Truck Tire shop for years. (70`s thru 2002)
And had many trucks using this road.
Made a lot of service calls replacing blown or flat tires in this area.

It will add a longer distance for some trucks.
But i think it`s a good call.
This street is not built for today`s traffic with only cars, let alone trucks.

It`s not like the old days.
Lone Star & Kaiser aren`t as busy as they once were.

Glad i`m not a Tire Man anymore.
Don`t miss getting so dirty, and dealing with Truckers & Dispatchers.
Don`t miss it at all

9 Jo April 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Myrtle Drive next!

10 Steve H. April 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Congratulations to the residential neighborhoods who’s quality of life will improve.

11 Back breaker April 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Those signs were approved by the city Council Tuesday nights meeting and were installed the next day that’s Awesome!!
GOOD JOB City of concord !!!!

12 RideIt April 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM

The pavement is so lumpy on Farm Bureau by Wren Elementary, I do have to ride my bicycle in the middle of the lane most of the time. Truck drivers are typically polite and safe while drivers of non-commercial vehicles seem to have no tolerance. Hopefully the absence of trucks will prevent the pavement problems Concord has not been able to fix in the past few years.

13 Shoiley April 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Pine Hollow Road with the quarry across from the elementary school should be investigated re: traffic. Clayton Highlands subdivision should be renamed Quarry Acres.

14 rickanater April 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM

When will the city of Concord enforce (no trucks over 3 tons) on Landana dr. ? Good luck Farm Bureau road!

15 Vanessa April 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Bumps everywhere too! Get rid of it!

16 Momo April 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Nobody wants trucks driving down their street. Let’s just ban them from driving in concord all together.

17 BagsFlyFree April 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Great news for WP/FB residents! Lets take some additional measures to smooth out those roads now that the main culprit for their constant damage is now gone. Nice wide bike lanes would be a good start!!

BFF Out!!

18 anon April 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Saw this the other day… And thought to myself.. My F350 weighs 9000lbs lol.

19 Jogger April 24, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I can’t say that they’ve spent a lot on all the repair from truck damage. In the 20 year we’ve lived on this street it’s never been repaved. They dumped a bit of tar and several inches of gravel about 15 years ago, but that’s it.
(They did have a survey team here a few weeks ago surveying for a repave. They spray painted dots on my fence for some reason.)

20 C.W. McCall April 24, 2014 at 3:09 PM

The street is named Farm Bureau Road, people. Seems like it should have nothing but trucks on it.

21 I drive a bigrig April 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Oooh, lets ban all trucks from the city of Concord, that way we can travel farther to the outskirts of town, for , Gas, Food, and what ever else we need. You bought it, a truck brought it. But just remember all I need is a delivery tag with an address on any street, and I can drive my big nasty truck down it, truck route or not

22 ChampagneKitty April 24, 2014 at 5:23 PM
23 Just me April 24, 2014 at 5:25 PM

The funny thing is it only applies to commercial trucks. Personal vehicles which in most cases weigh more than 3tons 6000 lbs are free to run up and down.

Also all the garbage, ups and other carriers will still be free to use it so in reality they’re not really accomplishing much from this. Heck my pickup weighs more than 3 tons and it’s nothing special

24 Smh April 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM

What’s the point? It’s not like they are going to repair the street anyway. I actually live on fb. Truck never bother me just those stupid cars with a loud mufflers and motorcycles driving by at night while I’m sleeping. They should be banned to.

25 Larry Mangini April 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM

@Mac Your comment disappoints me.

26 MrDioji April 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Thanks for the attachment ChampagneKitty. I definitely found it of interest.
Good for Concord and the residents/students in the area.

27 ChampagneKitty April 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM

You’re welcome, MrDioji.

28 Nee' April 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Good to many Potholes already! !!!

29 Mac April 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Larry….. I`m sorry, but most truckers were not like you. (as you know)
There were a lot of great guys around too.
But there was a bunch of people i do not miss, like Roy, Bobbi & Jeff.

You saw how fricking dirty and crappy my job was.
In the weather starting at 4:30 am 6 days a week.
Sorry, but i don`t miss it at all.

30 Larry Mangini April 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM

@Mac I was yanking your chain,I knew you didnt’ mean all of us.It’s worse now not many quality drivers left most are long gone,the new breed pisses me off too!

31 Cat Smith April 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Happy days are here again! I heard it will be Pt. Chicago, East to Clayton Rd.

32 anon April 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM

now there will be trucks on landana. bs

33 Contonian April 26, 2014 at 2:38 AM

Please oh please oh please oh please – could we consider Pine Hollow and that awful quarry road? There’s an elementary school (Highlands) and the middle school (Pine Hollow). So many school children on foot, in their parents cars and on skateboards, etc. Visibility on Pine Hollow is horrible and cars and trucks come flying up after the one light at Rollinghills. What’s up with that? Hurrying to get to the stop sign by the elementary school?
(Okay, sorry…that speeding is a separate issue)

My house backs up to that damn quarry road and i cannot open my windows for all of the noise and exhaust from those trucks! We’ve been here for over ten years and when we got here we were told the quarry was going to be shut down ‘soon’. The exhaust from those gravel-haulers causes cancer. Since coming here both my husband and me have had cancer diagnoses. And we were 39 and 43 years old when we got our cancers. Coincidence?

Anyone else had enough windshield nicks from overloaded gravel trucks?

They keep mining and mining and Mt Diablo will be gone! Explosions start at 6 am every norning. Loudly! And we can feel them, too.
(Whoops, separate issue again…)

Will it ever be possible to enjoy the beautiful weather we have here with the windows in my house open while I watch TV or visit with friends without the constant INCREDIBLY LOUD trucks?

34 Mac April 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Larry, it wasn`t the same back in 2002. (when i left)
I bet it really is bad now

Nice typing with ya.
Nothing but but the best to you and yours.

Like i said, you were one of the classy ones. (if not the most)

35 Cowellian April 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I would hope that Landana doesn’t become a truck route. The people that live on Landana have it bad enough, just from the speeding cars.