Alcohol License Suspended at Crogan’s Sports Bar in Walnut Creek

April 23, 2014 14:24 pm · 58 comments

A Walnut Creek sports bar has had its license to sell liquor suspended for 20 days because of numerous police calls there to deal with fights, assaults and public drunkenness, Department of Alcoholic and Beverage Control officials said today.

The suspension was posted on April 17 at Crogan’s Sports Bar and Grill at 1387 Locust St. because there were more than 200 calls for police service between August 2012 and November 2013, ABC spokesman John Carr said.

The 20-day suspension for operating a “disorderly house” draining law enforcement resources also comes with two years of probation, Carr said.

Other Locust Street establishments have been implicated as public nuisances following a string of street brawls that led to numerous injuries and arrests in 2012, prompting increased police patrols.

The Walnut Creek City Council even voted to roll back the hours at one business, the Lift Lounge and Grill, after similar complaints.

Crogan’s has had its license to sell alcohol suspended twice before — for 10 days in 2008 for selling alcohol to a minor and 15 days in 2010 for serving an obviously intoxicated patron and allowing public drunkenness, Carr said.

{ 58 comments }

1 FRANCIS BARKER April 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I work right across the street and for many years Crogans had brawls every fri-sat late night.There has been to many fights I’ve seen on these late nights.They need to close much earlier like at 11:30.Too many hoodlums go Walnut Creek and trash the town.

2 JET April 23, 2014 at 2:37 PM

This place hasn’t changed since I used to go there in college (in the mid 1990′s). I guess the only difference is that back then it was a bunch of rich spoiled white kids and now it is plain ghetto-fabulous.

3 Tree April 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Where am I going to get my $6.00 bud lights now?

4 Me April 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I hate to go here, but so many cities are banning outdoor growing of marijuana because of issues. I don’t see want for a ban from cities of bars or liquor stores? But we know what prohibition did, made it worse. Not sure of the logic thinking banning growing is going to make it better. Or keeping marijuana illegal is better than making it legal and taxing it etc.. Anyway, just saying, if this was weed related and in Colorado right now, anti marijuana would be all over it. But it’s common. Maybe it is time to legalize weed and have bars for just weed and give people the option. Some people would lose their job now if the used weed, when that is probably what some should do and not drink, if they want a buzz. Be less fights I imagine, and not get fired for using it.

5 Schmee April 23, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Dans has “tough” security (no tolerance). My brother literally made a bad face after taking a shot and they kicked him out lol

6 Cuzzzzzzzzzzzzz April 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Definitely not the same bar Wayne Wilkinson owned………..Once a decent spot to have a drink with friends and now??????? Why do people have to crap everything up?????

7 funnygal April 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I was not there!

8 funnygal April 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM

It wasn’t me!

9 anon April 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I don’t want either a dope fiend or booze hound behind the wheel of a car. Legalizing cannabis just adds a new substance that makes driving hazardous for everybody and ruins countless lives.

Didn’t an owner of Crogans drink himself to death?

10 james April 23, 2014 at 3:26 PM

It was like that when I would get dragged their with my crew to party in the 90s. I never like the place or any of the other trendy bars that come and go in WC.

I remember when the Cantina in WC was still around and they would have Taco Tuesday with drink specials. The WC cops would call it Tough Guy Tuesday.

11 Sports Bars suck anyways April 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Why even bother going to a sports bar? Just like going to a sporting event. people+alcohol+sports-even-on-tv = fights and trouble.

If you want to enjoys sports while drinking, go to the local liquor store and then go home and watch the game on TV. I get tired of the overweight moron who thinks that just because he is in a public venue he has the right to act like a dumba@#. I gave up going to bars in general many years. more due to the patrons there than anything else.

I see these trolls all the time walking around half drunk in WC. Time to close down this stupid establishment for good.

12 ANON April 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM

“because there were more than 200 calls for police service between August 2012 and November 2013″

Are you kidding–all this PD involvement & this is all they get ??
What a joke……
How many punks went to jail ??

13 WC Bars April 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM

It’s sad, it’s a great place, but they play the hoodlum rap crap and attract all the pond scum. Dan’s has live music on weekends, and note they have a great friendly fun crowd and hardly ever have a fight.

Crogans, take note of what successful businesses around you are doing, and do what they do. Either lose the riff raff, or lose your business completely is the message here.

14 anon April 23, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Me, ok then what is your better solution? and do you have all the necessary info to make a better decision?

15 Elwood April 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Walnut Creek–it’s a fun town!

16 old times missed April 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I miss the old Crogan’s when it was run by Wayne Wilkinson and had good food and a nice bar, After his death it went way downhill. It is a menace to the streets of Walnut Creek and should be closed down and fined BIG TIME!!!!!

17 tony April 23, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Time to shut ‘em down permanently. How much tolerance is the City supposed to show with bars like this?

18 Me April 23, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Did prohibition increase the number of people who drink? No. It just made those who did choose to drink Not criminals. Driving is another issue. There is already laws for driving impaired. I really do not think legalizing weed would make the roads more dangerous. Now outlawing cell phones, maybe. But really, if more people had the legal option to use weed instead of just booze, I will bet you crime will drop. How much you want to bet?

19 Me April 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM

@ Anon. It is not perfect, like legalizing alcohol again, was not perfect. We still have major alcohol issues, obviously. But it is the lessor of two evils so to say. Legalize it. Save our system for real crime. Using weeds should not be a crime in itself. As I said, you sell alcohol all day everyday you can win business of the year. You sell weed, you got o prison. I say save our over crowded prisons for serious crimes. They probably had to give that rapist ten years because there just isn’t enough room in prisons for them due to so many for drugs… Not that is a travesty of justice imo.

20 Rob April 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Take the booze license away – give them a pot license – and viola drunk rage problem solved – and they will end up selling a lot more food.

21 DingleBarry April 23, 2014 at 5:02 PM

It’s a magnet for underage drinkers and punks from Pittsburg/Antioch.
Not many from Walnut Creek go there.
Time to sell it to someone who cares about Walnut Creek

22 aj buttacavoli April 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Walnut Creek on weekends is a disaster! In fact, I make a point of not going downtown on weekends because of the awful crowd that gathers. Frankly, I am at a loss to understand how the crowd can change so dramatically. During the week Walnut Creek is a nice, decent, civilized place. But on weekends the “weekend warriors” descend on downtown and turn it into a three ring circus. Yikes! Get me to a nunnery!

23 furian April 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Big Government!

Stand your ground Crogans! Sell alcohol, anyway!

Maybe the wingies on this board will come down and support you!

Maybe.

Just don’t hold your breath.

HAHAHAHA

24 MeCrazyWoman April 23, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Rob, great idea :)

25 anon April 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

They need boxing ring in the place.

26 Revere April 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Crogan’s is a dump, and it’s full of drunks who think (or maybe are…) pretty tough. That’s why I don’t go there. And I didn’t need their license suspended to the solve my problem. Obviously lots of people want to go there and that is their choice.

27 Jon April 23, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I would like to know more about what happened to the drunks that are ultimately causing the problems. What about the personal accountability of the people that are actually causing the problems, the guys who are over drinking and fighting? A typical liberal approach to a problem. It’s the businesses fault, not the fault of the people that are causing the problem. How about a post on the legal ramifications of the folks that get into the fights???????

28 dubc April 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM

doesn’t surprise me. That place is the armpit of amateur hour. If you want to get in a bar fight this is the place to go

29 iluvfriedchicken April 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Hit them in the pocket where it counts. This will motivate a clean up.

30 Mark April 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Crogan’s time has come and gone. Their staff tended to ignore you if you weren’t a regular. Never a friendly place. Shut the dump down.

31 Young1 April 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Crogans=brogans enough said.

32 WC April 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM

WALNUT CREEK!/
I love it!/
I dont ever wanna/
…LEAVEE!/
I Wanna come back when/
…I’m Sixty Threeee!!!!!!!

33 just a concordian April 24, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Keeping it classy WC!

34 BlackHole April 24, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Crogans was a dump when I went there in the 80′s!

35 works in WC April 24, 2014 at 4:02 AM

I used to come down there for Karaoke in the 90′s early 2000′s and it was a crap shoot then too! Too many bars these days ignore their duties and serve people who are obviously super intoxicated! Gone are the days when you would be cut off from already having too many and poured into a cab. People are so greedy these days they still feed you alcohol when you can’t even see the nose on your face. This could be a nice place if they tried. The food is decent and the Karaoke is good. Hopefully this will be a wake up call for them.

36 OldPlace April 24, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Crogans has been around forever. When I was young it was the place that alot of my friends would go to hangout, get a few drinks and eat a little. I remember going there with an old boyfriend. He passed away in his mid 40s of cancer. Funny how a memory leads to a chain of memories.

37 Roid Rage April 24, 2014 at 6:55 AM

At one time Crogan’s was the only place where the well heeled 20/30/40 crowed went to have a drink, and at one time it was a popular lunch and dinner spot for business class that lived and worked in Walnut Creek , I’ve lived within walking distance to downtown WC for over 40 years, I like all the new changes but at the same time miss the old charm WC once had, when I want to go out local it’s Pleasant Hill/Lafayette/Danville for me.

38 anonares April 24, 2014 at 7:36 AM

There is a simple solution already in place for problem liquor outlets. Whenever a bar, restaurant or store has a problem and the police are called, the responding agency is REQUIRED to forward a report to the ABC. The lazy a$$ people who work for ABC, are supposed to contact the establishment and work with them to solve the problem or take the liquor license away. All that ABC wants to do is raise revenue from sales. This should not be a continuing problem for the local police, if they are forwarding their response log to the ABC. There is at least one department who is refusing to do their job. FIRE THEM!

39 J April 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM

@Me “Did prohibition increase the number of people who drink? No. It just made those who did choose to drink Not criminals.”

Prohibition did make them criminals… That is the point of prohibition. it has also increased the number of pot smokers because of the outlaw appeal. Make it legal and we can control it to the best of our abilities like we do with alcohol, instead of idiots shooting each other over a simple garden flower.

40 Me April 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM

@J, Sorry about that, I agree. I meant ending prohibition. So many alcohol issues and I would bet also that if you asked any officer what is more of an problem, people smoking pot or people drinking? More calls. More issues. More crime. More violence. Who is harder to deal with. I bet everyone would say alcohol. On and on….. Yet alcohol is perfectly legal. Pot perfectly illegal. Does not make a bit of sense. Never has, never will. People want a place to hang out. And if that place served only coffee and marijuana, and people who were drunk were asked to leave, they would probably have zero calls. Yes it would take business away from bars, but also create new businesses. Cause less trouble for cities I think. And more tax. More business. Legalize it already. It could never be a fraction as bad as some bars I have seen. Fights. Stabbings… You name it… What are we thinking??

41 Mr. Pink April 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Have not been to Crogans in probably 20 years. Went a lot back in the mid-late 80′s and it was usually OK in the early evening hours. Come 11 PM and later, you took your chances. Recall hearing about numerous brawls even then though, so fights and Crogan’s have been a long-time pairing.

42 Me April 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Should not punish the bar owners because they have a bunch of retards that don’t know how to act.

43 sharky April 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM

No wonder they got 200 police calls seven cop cars sit infront of the bar Wc pd will arrest you for breathing its rediculous. They are one of the reasons i dont go to wc anymore at night. And no ive never been arrested there but ive been harrased heavily.. I hate crogans too but as im sure it is for all the 21 yrolds of the area as it was when i was a youngster its the spot. Wc quit being such douches let ur hair down and let people have alittle fun….

44 Trevor April 24, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Well yeah. It’s Walnut Creek, if the worst thing you got going on late at night on a Friday is entitled young adults getting drunk off their parents cash and picking “fights” with strangers. Then things are pretty damn good.

45 Local Guy April 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM

This is a great way to get them to stop calling the police if there’s a problem.
Really thinking outside the box ABC!

46 Idiocracy April 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Crogans has always been a Garbage dump! The carpet is sticky, the bathrooms are what you would expect from a post apocalyptic nuclear war. Their security actually tried to instill a dress code of no white T shirts thanks to Oakland/Antioch punks that ruined a staple in man dress code. The place smells! What the city needs to do is inspect for mold fungus cause that’s what Crogans smells like. The place has needed John Taffer from Bar rescue for like 13 years!. Don’t get me started with how ppl act their. Just watch Louis CK talk about the hottest girl at the bar and that’s almost every woman that goes to crogans lol..and every guy thinks he’s 2 pac there… ok I wont generalize but the place is straight up made for the “Look at me, look how cool I am” crowd. Honestly its for Posers. Once you get a lil older you realize its a meat market for the stupids and psychologically challenged/tasteless, you move on. I agree Dan’s is way better. Mr Luckys is a sardine can dump too as well as that garbage club next to the old chilis … Thank you City of WC for closing a Land fill called crogans

47 chris b April 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM

How come you are reporting this and never ever mentioned the issue’s the Guadalajara Grill were having with their liquor license. I think Mayor needs to not be picking and choosing his stories.

48 CLAYCORD.com April 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Chris B, Nothing happened with their liquor license, we checked with ABC.

49 gratt April 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

yaaaa shut it down they are losers anyway

50 chris b April 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Thanks for checking into it.

51 Idiocracy April 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM

act there not their

52 Onwers Have Some Liability April 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM

If the owners are overserving, then they are partially responsible, They have a financial incentive to serve, since that’s how they make money. To say that they have no responsibility is ridiculous. They could minimize fights by providing security, stop serving drinks to drunk patrons and checking ID’s.

How is this a liberal thing?

53 J.D. April 24, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Time to replace it with a GAY bar!! There won’t be any fights….maybe some bi&ch slappin’ with some sass and attitude, but it won’t be the violent hell hole it is now!!

54 Michelle April 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I have nothing to say at the moment. Love forever.

55 Aaron April 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I went to this bar from 2004-2008. They played a mixture of music and sometimes I was the only black person there. There were fights in the bar and on the street every time I went. EVERY TIME. It’s not just the hip hop, IT’S DRUNK PEOPLE. The bar is very tiny and people are bound to bump into each other(it’s usually packed) which causes problems. I was almost goaded into a fight, but I am a non violent person so I didn’t fall for for it. So basically, don’t blame hip hop blame alcohol. Stuff like this happens in many bar/club scenes not just WC.

56 Kate April 25, 2014 at 7:19 AM

What are you people talking about? Keep the place open, I don’t want the riff raff at the places I like to go downtown. At least we all know what we’re getting into when we walk in there. Maybe the bartenders & security need some training on identifying someone that’s had too much to drink.

57 The Mamba April 25, 2014 at 7:32 AM

When I spent a little time out in WC after college, Crogan’s wasn’t really significantly better or worse than any of the other bars in town. It was a great place to go have a drink with friends and you were constantly running into the same groups of people, so everyone knew each other. Then again, I was a lover, not a fighter.

58 Denis April 29, 2014 at 10:38 AM

This bar was not any better or worse than any other bar around. I do not really know who is always leaving these negative comments… I am guessing its old folks who go to sleep at 9 and would rather drink on their couches and pass out to the sounds of the game.
There will aways be fights when crowds mix with alcohol. Its a fact. Deal with it. Granted, they need more, and better trained security. No bar owner has control of who goes to their establishment. Locust street has decent bars that attract crowds from outside WC. Deal with it.