Man Knocks on Door, Hides in Pleasant Hill

April 21, 2014 · 54 comments

This message came from a concerned Claycordian who experienced something suspicious in the early morning hours at her home in Pleasant Hill:

I’m not sure if this is worthy of posting or not but I was curious to see if this had happened to anyone else in the area.

Early this morning about 3:35 a.m. I woke up to a knock on my apartment door in Pleasant Hill. Since it was so early I thought maybe I was just dreaming and went back to bed. Then they knocked again – a lot more and a lot louder. My dog started barking so I walked into the living room to peek out the window (we don’t have a peep hole) and I saw a man hiding. It’s hard to explain the layout of our front area, but he was hiding on the side so that if we opened the door it would appear as if no one was out there.

I didn’t turn any lights on and immediately called the police who were great and arrived within minutes. They checked the area and made sure no widows or doors looked like they had been messed with.

It’s one thing for someone to be at the front door, but another for them to be hiding like that – especially at this hour.

Just wondering if anyone experienced something like this in the area?

Don’t ever open the door, you never know whose just around the corner!

Anybody else out there experience something like this?

1 Neighborhood? April 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM

As a PH resident, I’d appreciate any other info regarding the incident – especially the area within the city it had occurred.

2 ph res April 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM

What area?

3 Pro Gun April 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Every home should have a gun for times like these. You never know when they will just kick your door in and Rape and Pillage through your home.

We should have the right to protect our families.

The politicians that are trying to take that right away from us disgust me.

4 Me April 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Yes, very similar, and the policeman who came said he might be hiding in the area and call 911 if they come back. So similar, all over the Claycord area. And seems to be random. Random!!!!! But of course I was blamed for posting about something on fb. @@ Still irks me. Blaming the victim. And NOT the people who try to break in our homes … No, victims are rarely to blame for being victims. Except by ignorant people. I’m sorry this happed to you. We made extra security precautions after what happened, but took a couple months before my wife was not afraid at night. I hope we get these SOB’s. It can happen to ANYONE.

5 LL April 21, 2014 at 10:19 AM

This is terrifying! This happened to me on Saturday morning. Both my sister and I woke up because the knocking was so loud and persistent. I looked out the windows and didn’t see anyone. I didn’t think to call the police but will definitely do that next time.

6 Just1dering April 21, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I’ve heard enough of these types of stories, time to go to the Glock store.

7 ph res April 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM

We just bought our first home in PH. We love the little town, been residents for 9 years now. Crime seems to be getting higher in Pleasant Hill. Anyone know why? PHPD is excellent though I must say.

8 TooCreepy April 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Glad you didn’t open the door and saw him hiding on the side. So many weird things going on. This community is overrun by a few weirdoes that ruin things for the rest of us.

9 76-Year-Old Woman Chases Burglar from Home at Gunpoint April 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

ARARAT TOWNSHIP — State police say a 76-year-old woman in Susquehanna County was able to chase off an intruder who broke into her home early Monday morning.

Investigators say the man took off after the woman pulled a shot gun on him.

State police say it was inside a house east of Harford that a 76-year-old woman stood her ground and chased off an intruder.

Troopers say Carole Motsko of Ararat Township heard noises downstairs around 1:30 Monday morning.

She called 911, grabbed her shotgun and confronted the man at the bottom of the stairs, yelling a warning at him.

Police say the man took off from Motsko’s home with only her purse.

At Arlo’s Tavern nearby, Motsko’s actions were the talk of the night.

“This woman was in her house in the middle of the night by herself and thank goodness she had a gun and she threatened him, then he ran, I mean, he took her purse,” said Marianne Korty.

“I think she did the right thing. She has every right to protect what is hers and she did the right thing,” said Kelly Ford.

“I would have done the same thing,” said Michelle Calafut. “Exactly the same thing. I have guns in my house. I would have done the same thing.”

Motsko did not want to talk on camera but says she has a shotgun for this exact reason – to protect herself and her home.

She says anyone breaking into her home should expect to have her gun pulled on them.

“Nobody has the right to break into or steal somebody else’s property so she was protecting what’s hers,” said Ford.

“Oh absolutely, absolutely. Well, they better be careful because a lot of women are brave,” said Korty.

State police in Susquehanna County say Motsko fired no shots from her gun.

Troopers say they are investigating the break-in.

10 Shelly April 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I like the shotgun approach.

11 @3 Gun Nut April 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM

No one is going to take Your Gun away,, go find something else to whine about geez…

12 Mark April 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I have a baseball bat by the front door, but I’m seriously thinking about getting a gun. This area is getting pretty bad.

13 Idiotic April 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Luckily it wasn’t a child of seven that answered, there would have been hell to pay for that.

14 Anon. #5 April 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

isn’t this like Ding Dong Ditch? sounds like it to me…

15 P. H. Neighbor April 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Very happy that you are fine and called the police. Thank you for posting this on our wonderful Claycord. Always good for all of us neighbors to have a heads up, spread the word & keep an extra eye out. I’ve heard some weird things going on in the middle of the night last week. My neighbor saw the police in front of his house on Oak Park Blvd., PHE area in the early morning hours. Yes, PH has changed just like many of our cities by the bay.

16 Just Sayin April 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Pleasant Hill sure is attracting scumbags these days.

17 Newshound April 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Whenever there is a knock on the door in the wee hours, just call the police. pronto. No one is up to any good at that hour.
Thanks for the heads up on hiding around corner, sometimes we think they are gone and go to look for a brochure or package. Ugh
Keep your ears open for your neighbors too, it’s grtting creepy out there.

18 @Pro Gun April 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM

You have the right to protect yourself and family. BUT Not the right to KILL.
That’s what 911 is for, stop taking the law into your own hands or you will end up in Prison with the Criminals.

19 spraythenaim April 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM

The fact that you posted this to Claycord shows that you’re the type of person kids (or even adults) want to doorbell ditch you. You know, where they knock on your door then hide. If someone was trying to see if you weren’t home they would do it in the daytime. You got doorbell ditched then called the police and posted it on Claycord…

20 Description?? April 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Why no description of this turd? Short, fat, tall, thin, redhead with freckles, hoodie…

I’m glad to hear you’ve got some common sense unlike others who would’ve opened the door.

21 Dear poster 18 April 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Stop making stuff up. If you need to kill a burglar to defend yourself or your family, it’s perfectly legal.

22 JET April 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM

We used to do this all the time as kids. Its called ‘Hide and Seek’. Duh.

23 Monty April 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Robbery at Black Angus and cell phone stores, pedophiles masturbating near schools, residents – please remind me again how great Pleasant Hill is? ;)

24 Me April 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Not “Me” but another Me. Anyway, I had my dog attend a rattlesnake aversion training class about 4.5 yrs ago. Every year I PRAY she remembers her training. –That “vaccine” is a crock, I called the company myself to get more info about it and both people I spoke with stammered nervously and couldn’t answer any of my easy questions.

25 Me April 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

SORRY, meant to write that in the snake section–that’s odd.

26 Concordgal April 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Also, to the original post, it’s illegal for the owner or landlord to not provide a peephole! If I were u I would have one installed, or notify the people where u rent! Good thing u have other windows to use!

27 SF CityGirl April 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM

3 am perv hiding in the bushes… you open that door, your chances of being sexually assaulted are extremely high. I’ve read somewhere, that most sexual assaults occur in very early morning hours. Glad you had the sense to look out a window first, most people are too sleepy to think logically.

28 Elwood April 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

@ phres #7

Crime is getting higher everywhere, unfortunately. But PH is still a very safe city with an excellent PD.

29 Mimi (original) April 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Glad you posted. Scary business. I will be much more careful from now on.

30 Elwood April 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Doorbell ditched at 3:35 am? Yeah, right!

31 Russ April 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Every household should have a gun for protection. Did you know that in Switzerland every household is required to have a gun and that there is hardly any crime over there.

32 Elwood April 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM

@ Monty #23

Unfortunately, laws prevent us from setting up walls around PH to keep the scum out.

Shutting down Hiway 4 would put an end to a lot of it.

33 Rach April 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Again, WHAT AREA DID THIS HAPPEN IN?? street name? cross street? blockrange? any additional info on where this happend would be really helpful!!

34 @11 April 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM

You are dead wrong. I happen to have the names of the three individuals in Pleasant Hill who want to take your guns away. They usually begin their position statement with, ” I completely respect the 2nd Amendment and it’s supporters, but………..blah blah blah……….common sense laws…….blah.”

They will not admit it with words, however their voting record is what counts. Their names are Harris, Durant and Flaherty and they are very dangerous, as they are 3 of the 5 members on the Pleasant Hill City Council.

After their constituents filled the chamber time and time again to capacity with standing room only to voice their opinion against gun control measures, they voted for gun control measures anyway. Right in our faces.

Do not be fooled and put to sleep with incrementalism. They are going after your gun today. Period. No argument is possible to refute what they have done.

@11, your gun is at risk today, right now and you better wake up.

35 Monty April 21, 2014 at 2:38 PM

@ Elwood #32 – go ahead and put walls up around PH, nothing would change since the trash already lives there! Any other bright ideas? And why blame Hwy 4 when many of the criminals live in Concord/WC/PH/Martinez? Get over yourself and get in the real world (and for the record I live in WC).

36 anon... April 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM

“no widows or ………… looked like they had been messed with.”

Good to hear.

37 Elwood April 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM

” (and for the record I live in WC).”

Please stay there.

38 The Realist April 21, 2014 at 3:01 PM

As a point of interest, the Supreme Court has ruled the police have no obligation to protect you. They respond as a courtesy not a right.

Just remember: when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

If you want to make sure you ae safe in you own home, vote politicians in who will protect the 2nd amendment. Research and purchase a suitable firearm but most importantly, respect it and get properly trained in its use.

39 Dr. Jellyfinger® April 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Count your blessings. My phone rang at 4 am.. I answered & ….. nothing, just silence. It happened again 10 minutes later… silence… and again… 10 minutes after that…….

“Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you”

40 Anonymous April 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

For everyone whose wondering where exactly it happened – it was in the complexes near JFK University and the old Chevy’s building.

The man was about 5’10” – light skin – small build. He was wearing a black shirt and jeans. I didn’t see his face, I didn’t want to risk him seeing me.

I’m not really sure who would be door-bell-ditching at 3:30 in the morning during the week, but the story is 100% true and we decided to tell Claycord about it so that people would think twice about opening the door – especially at that hour. We were also curious to see if anyone else had experienced something similar.

Thanks again to Claycord for posting, and a big thanks to PHPD for responding within a matter of minutes!

41 Me April 21, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Anonymous, the description of the guy at your door sounds the same as the creep that crawled into my house via a window last summer. Was he around 5 10? I swear I saw him a month later at Tower Grille.

42 A way to start.... April 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM

…cleaning up PH is to get our own school district. Some houses in town are selling over $700 or $800k. If you clean up the schools like Gregory Gardens and PH Middle by develoling our own PH district, the rest of the property values will go up to meet the already high values. Property values go up, the people quality will go up and not put up with this BS trash influx. Lafayette doesn’t put up with this garbage. It’s sickening. I hate to play economic class wars but it is sadly true. You will not find a hard working, educated individual robbing people or attempting break ins. That is just trash. Get ‘em out. Keep ‘em out.

43 Elwood April 21, 2014 at 5:40 PM

@ Dr.Jellyfinger #39

Take your phone off the hook.

Use caller ID to turn the calling number over to your phone company and police.

For a few dollars a month your phone company will block ten callers.

Just some ideas to prevent this in the future.

44 Chilling Penguin April 21, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I used to live in the area, but now I live in Vallejo. The neighborhood watch has warned us to turn on a light or let them know someone is inside. They perps are usually trying to see if anyone is home. If no one answers, they may decide to break in…

45 Anon April 21, 2014 at 6:23 PM

@42 There will always be renters in PH regardless. There will be lower income units % requirements in some complexes. That is how people that couldn’t afford or qualify to purchase would live there.

At the end of the day ANY creep with a car can drive into whatever city they choose.

46 Dr. Jellyfinger® April 21, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Thanks Elwood, perhaps that would be prudent to avoid a repeat in the future…. but it does little to heal the emotional pain & auditory damage I’ve already endured…..being brutally Rickrolled like that….. how can people be so cruel?

47 Mark April 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM

They’re looking to break in. Call 911, and don’t open the door.

48 mika April 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Mayor — why not provide the neighborhood when these incidences occur? Everyone in PH is paranoud now!

49 @50 April 22, 2014 at 4:39 AM

Pay no attention to that troll. Its sole purpose is to make all gun owners look like idiots.

50 @ Anon by JFK April 22, 2014 at 5:23 AM

We used to live in the Wood Creek apartments over there (on the Chevy’s side of Ellinwood) and had all kinds of fun experiences/observations while living in the area (not sure if you’re in the condos or the apts?).

I didn’t think much of it until I read this, but last summer-ish, a younger man (white, probably 5-10″ to 6′, early to mid twenties wearing a sweatshirt, jeans and hat) knocked on our door around 1am claiming to be “looking for his friend.” I didn’t open the door – just told him he had the wrong address, but he was definitely standing off to the side/peering in through the side window next to our door when I walked up (our dog had destroyed those blinds, so you could see into the hallway area if you were at the front door). He seemed to be under the influence of something based on the way he was speaking, so I didn’t think too much about it as a potential robbery at the time. He left after I acknowledged him and I didn’t worry about him coming back as we have an “aggressive-looking” dog who let out some mean barks/growls that seemed to make him feel uncomfortable. We had a unit close to the street entrance, so we got to experience a lot of the crazies as they entered the community.

My husband felt I was overly paranoid about the happenings in the neighborhood, but I was home much more and got to experience a lot more of it. We got to experience lots of late night/early morning verbal arguments and police action on our side stemming from the units across from us during our last year there. The scariest thing that actually happened was when I had a man jump out of the bushes/start walking towards me late in a parking lot area late at night while I was walking our dog – I never felt quite as safe after that moment in particular.

Throughout the craziness, I will personally attest to the awesomeness of PHPD – they legitimately responded to issues within minutes of receiving the call during the few times I actually called. They do a great job.

Apparently experiences like mine/yours are not isolated in that area, so thank you for sharing! I wish I had thought more of my experience at the time so that it had been documented or the person could’ve been contacted by the police.

51 Pleasant Hill Resident I April 22, 2014 at 5:34 AM

I love the comments that state that Hwy 4 is the biggest reason why criminals are ‘coming into’ the Claycord area. What a joke.

I’d like to officially nominate 242, 680 and 24 to also be in the running for ‘roadways that criminals may or may not use to access any particular city they feel like performing a criminal act in.’ And any street that any person has access to in any city. Thank you in advance for taking my nomination under consideration.

52 sherry h April 22, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Wow! Did everyone in California remember about our lovely politicians who decided to release a huge amount of prisoners back into society?? They are out now preying on everyone with the new skills they learned while being there on vacation! Yes I know that crime is everywhere, but can’t wait to convince my husband to move out of California. Born and raised here and HATE it here…

53 kimberly April 22, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I had something similar happen a couple weeks ago. A man knocking on my door at 12:30 in the morning. I didn’t open the door bit he claimed he was looooong for a woman whose tire he helped change a few weeks ago. St 12:30 in the morning?

54 Mark April 22, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Sherry H., good luck finding anywhere that doesn’t have crime. Affluent suburbs (or the hills in any town) are your best bet, but you have to be very wealthy. Good luck. Then you have to deal with people “coming into” your town to steal.

Enjoy your move to the “crimeless section of the country.”

Be sure to post on Claycord your wonderful find. Be sure not to read the paper or watch the news. It will destroy your “utopia view of the world.”