CAUTION: Snakes Out & About in Claycord

April 21, 2014 · 48 comments

snake

snake2

The snakes are out, and they’re not being shy.

These two snakes were spotted on a trail and in a backyard in Concord, and another snake (not pictured) was found in the Montecito neighborhood pool in Concord earlier this week. Authorities say it was a rattle snake that was found in the pool.

Be very careful if you’re up on the trails in Lime Ridge, Briones, or other open space areas and parks such as Mt. Diablo.

Thanks to Laura & Nancy for the pictures shown above!

1 Me April 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM

1987 or so we were hiking out Mitchell Canyon and came across a rattle snake right on the path. Stopped. Then out of no where came a hawk and grabbed it in front of us. Long story, but it tried to fly off with it but too heavy, dropped it. We thought that was the end of it. But the hawk came back. Grabbed it’s head and chopped it in two, then took off with half of it. Amazing. If only we had cell phone video’s back then. Man..

2 Shelly April 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Please don’t kill the snakes! They eat vectors (rats & mice)! If you don’t tread too quietly while walking on the trails they’ll get out of your way before you ever see them.

3 Corn Snakes April 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM

The official reptile of Claycord.

4 Idiot April 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Kill the snakes and the rats!

5 twilight April 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Sounds like there are some human snakes out and about too. (Door-knockers, etc.)

6 Cowellian April 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM

They sure look like corn snakes!

7 guest April 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Agree with Shelly…leave them alone, they have a life and a purpose. The second and third image is a Pacific Gopher snake.

Please take a few minutes to learn the difference between a Rattlesnake and a Gopher snake. A dead Gopher snake does us no good.
Images of Gopher Snakes: http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/p.c.catenifer.html

Images of Rattlesnakes: http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.oreganus.html

8 The Professor April 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

No corn snakes this time. The top picture is a western diamond back (you can see the rattle) and the bottom two are of a BIG gopher snake.

9 We caught... April 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

a rattle snake… now we have something
for dinner…

10 Chester E. Kitty April 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I agree with the others …. DON’T kill them! I don’t particularly love snakes but they do serve a purpose … eating mice, rats, and other yucky varmints that we don’t like. Please just leave them alone!

11 Newshound April 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

There are a lot of snakes in them there Concord judging by the crime rate

12 The Western Diamond Back April 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

is not a snake to mess with.

I don’t support killing animals as a rule, (liberals excluded) but any poisonous snake is just to dangerous to have around (liberals included).

13 It's a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake April 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Actually, that is a Northern Pacific rattlesnake, which is the rattlesnake we have in this area.

The western diamond back’s range does not include the Bay Area, and the only part of California in it’s range is the south-eastern corner of California. http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.atrox.html

The Northern Pacific rattlesnake comes in a variety of coloring and patterns: http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.oreganus.html

14 Pegasus April 21, 2014 at 12:20 PM

If gopher snakes are harmless and do the same job as rattlers, why do we need rattlers?
Off with their heads, I say.

15 Shelly April 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Pegasus #14; We need the rattlers so that the gopher snakes have some variety in their diet.

16 Triple Canopy April 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Yummmm… tasty.

17 Me April 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Not “Me” but another Me. Anyway, I had my dog attend a rattlesnake aversion training class about 4.5 yrs ago. Every year I PRAY she remembers her training. –That “vaccine” is a crock, I called the company myself to get more info about it and both people I spoke with stammered nervously and couldn’t answer any of my easy questions.

18 Michelle April 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Rattlers are dangerous but a necessary part of the circle of life. Just leave them alone.

19 Craig Hiler April 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Agree with the smart, educated individuals above, don’t kill snakes…unless you’re hungry and going to eat it.

20 Rattler April 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM

You have to appreciate the Mongoose.

21 Not a Western Diamondback! April 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM

The top photo is a NORTHERN PACIFIC RATTLESNAKE. The next two photos are a harmless Gopher Snake.

22 Diablo April 21, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I was going to ask people to please not hurt the snakes but saw that you already did that.

23 Hmmm April 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I saw a snake just like that big gopher snake recently in my backyard garden bed in Concord. At first I was terrified thinking it could be a rattler, but after researching, am convinced it was a gopher. It’s pattern looked just like that one in the picture. I also saw some sort of brownish baby snake when I was cleaning out a pile of old leaves, etc..

24 FB April 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I have an appointment to get my dogs vaccinated tomorrow. The protection from the rattlesnake vaccine may be minimal but the hope is that it will lessen the severity of the bite, require less antivenin, and buy some time until the dog can be transported to a vet. I imagine trying to carry a 100 pound dog back to the car while out on a trail, or the dog being home alone in the yard when bitten. My dogs had the rattlesnake aversion training a few years ago in Livermore. It seemed to help, and the dogs steered a wide berth around the snake during the training, which involves the use of an electric shock collar. But after this much time, I suppose the dogs would try to sniff a snake if they came across one. The training will be offered on the 28th in this area, and later on in other places. Google “rattlesnake aversion training.” If I am allowed to give the company name–it is Natural Solutions.

25 Kinda hard to 'just leave them alone...' April 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Well, I like to avoid killing them if possible, and follow the ‘circle of life’ theory, but if you run across several a year in your yard, an on your driveway, and on the sidewalk, and in the grass where neighborhood kids play, running right over them, it’s kind of hard to ignore them.

When a beloved neighborhood child or pet is stalking one, and it’s between the child or pet and the rattlesnake…one of them is going to go….and it’s hard to leave it up to survival of the fittest.

A neighbor kid stepped on one and spent a few days in the hospital. So if it’s in the kids’ play area and not easy to move it, I will vote for killing it over calling an ambulance and paying for the kids to spend a few days in the hospital.

26 funny man April 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

NOPE NOPE NOPE, keel em all. let god sort em out

27 Anon2you April 21, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I love seeing them on the trails of Clayton, sometimes I will catch them an put them in my children’s book bags for a little “surprise” in the morning, you know just to wake them up in the morning…
OK, just kidding BUT:
Snakes in general are awesome yard mates, they do so much for the ecosystem we live in. BUT, I would definitely KILL a rattlesnake in my yard or pool! NOT in the wild of course. Just walk on by (well wide berth).

28 rw April 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Just leave the snakes alone. If you got them in your yard, driveway, and sidewalk, then it means you live pretty close, if not it, their habitat. If you’re too chicken to deal with it, take yourself and your kids in the house and wait for the snake to leave. Killing snakes (or just about anything) because it comes onto your property is idiotic. It really is!

29 Ibbly April 21, 2014 at 3:25 PM

#22 Baby snakes may look like tiny cute worms, but they grow up to be adult snakes. Just get flush them.

30 landana April 21, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I run on the trail a lot and the only thing that concerns me is people with there dogs of leash. Its very easy for a dog to get bit before you know it, they want to check them out. I had a dog get bit once, it was next to the picnic table , right next to us. $1,500 dollars later I learned my lesson, but I’m not so sure my dog learned anything.

31 Bill Hass April 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM

#23 You might as well have them vaccinated for being hit by cars while you’re at it.

32 Silva April 21, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Delish!

33 @24 April 21, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Hey! 24!
-Did your home disclosure form state the home was built upon a venomous pit viper den? From the way you write, I ‘betcha it did.

-Question: So, if the neighborhood child that is “stalking the snake” is not so ‘beloved’, but instead is considered,…’eh, okay’….we let the stalking continue, right? We have an …’eh, okay’ kiddo…in our neighborhood who stalks rattlesnakes too. Your experienced advice would be so helpful.

-I agree with you though, it can be a ‘hard decision’ to let the fittest survive and let the child and a venom-injecting, fanged, predator duke it out with my offspring.

Thanks for the insight on the Kinda Hard decisions. By the way, do you have Darwin’s great-great-great-nephews email? I want to let them know Darwin never said, “Survival of the Fittest”.

34 @FB April 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM

The best rattle snake aversion or vaccine,
don’t take them where snakes are.
Domesticated dogs do not have the same
instincts as honed as their ancestors.
Ticks, spiders, scorpions, snakes, skunks,
an endless list of things you should keep
you pet away from.

35 The Closer April 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Snakes!!! Get em off me boy.

36 Chris April 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM

In 1986 I was stacking hay out in Clayton and damn near stepped on one. It was heading into the hay and hell no. I would never kill a snake. But i had to. Still have its rattle and sorry. Last thing I needed was to be stacking hay with a high pulse rate and get bit. Then my boss asked if I got the babies. Lol. They were all over going for the mice that ate the feed. I have so many snake stories from this area. Never got bit though.

37 Bud Tstung April 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I was kinda surprised to see scorpions on Mt. Diablo. I didn’t think we had them around here, but there they was!

38 Walnut Creek Resident April 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Rattlesnakes are rattlesnakes.. leave them alone. If you find one on your property kill it. To think you should just stay in the house until it leaves is very foolish and quite dangerous especially if you have pets and children.. That is common sense.

39 gasai yuno April 21, 2014 at 9:27 PM

They are so cute !!!!! I want a snake T.T

40 furian April 21, 2014 at 9:31 PM

As long as they’re not on a plane.

41 litlebit April 21, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Never, on a plane!

42 SF CityGirl April 21, 2014 at 11:30 PM

What kind of snake is the one pictured in the middle?

43 Judaism April 22, 2014 at 12:16 AM

I wonder which snakes are prominent in Claycord.

44 Jessica April 22, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Uh yeah…go ahead and kill the snakes. Please, and thanks.

45 Pistol Packin' Mama April 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Target Practice….

JP ;)

46 buzzed April 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM

can’t wait to meet it… ;-)

47 answer: prominent snakes in Claycord April 22, 2014 at 2:29 PM

The most commonly seen snakes in Claycord are:

-gopher snake, rattlesnake, kingsnake, Pacific ringneck

-Alameda whipsnakes are seen from time-to-time and are listed as a threatened species

48 answer: middle snake April 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM

The middle snake is a gopher snake

gopher snakes have pointed tails, and their heads are narrow/not triangular