PIC: Vehicle Crashes into See’s Candies on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill

April 18, 2014 · 35 comments

seescandy

A vehicle crashed into See’s Candies on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill on Friday afternoon.

At least two people were injured, but so far we’re hearing the injuries are not life-threatening.

The driver was an elderly female, according to witnesses.

BIG thanks to Peter Borden for the picture!

Still need candy? Go to Rachel Dunn Chocolates on Detroit Ave. in Concord (behind Costco) or The Candy Counter at 1385 N. Main St. in Walnut Creek.

1 Enfield303 April 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM

And I thought I had a sweet tooth. Glad no one was seriously hurt.

2 mutts April 18, 2014 at 3:37 PM

OH NO, NOT SEE’S! Got mine 2 weeks ago.

3 anonanonagain April 18, 2014 at 3:39 PM

So sad to hear that there are injuries involved.
I know I don’t have any details, just a summation.
Unfortunately there are a lot more elderly drivers on the road. I would not want to give up my independence either but there has to be better testing requirements so that we don’t have more injuries or deaths.

4 G April 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM

How many of these are we going to have before new testing requirements are put in place to keep people safe from elderly drivers. This is nuts, every time I go out there is an old person driving up a curb or pulling out in front of someone. Their loss of independence is not worth someone else’s health or life. When my Grandma started losing hubcaps on a regular basis (she claimed by theft, those plastic ’89 Nissan Sentra caps are thief magnets apparently) we sold her car for her. Now we have to pick her up for everything, but it gives us all a piece of mind knowing that she won’t be maiming or killing someone.

5 Chocolate lover April 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I’m VERY GLAD that the injuries were not life threatening. I’m sure that the shop was crowded with people getting their Easter goodies. I was there on Monday morning and it was crowded THEN!

6 lol April 18, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Anxious for candy, time for a diet.

7 I would like to say April 18, 2014 at 4:06 PM

what the heck is wrong with people, but unfortunately I know what’s wrong with these people. I know how to fix it, but currently its against the law here in this uber leftist state.

8 Cowellian April 18, 2014 at 4:08 PM

It broke my Dad’s heart when we took his keys, but it broke my mother-in-law’s shoulder when she ran into that building.

9 furian April 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Were the chocolates OK?

10 Michelle April 18, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Sees really does have very good candy, but…

11 WOW Original! April 18, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Time for sees, crowd has dispersed….

12 P-Hill Golfer April 18, 2014 at 4:22 PM
13 The Observer April 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM

You mean See’s doesn’t have a drive-thru??

14 That one guy April 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I hate when people cut in line!

15 Gargoyle Socks April 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Did she get a sample?

16 @like to say April 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM

How lame was that post !
You gotta do better than that to hang here.

17 Wrong Target April 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Hopefully she was aiming for the recently painted Rasputin/Blondie’s building, which looks even worse now.

18 John April 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM

@ G – I’m all for testing of the elderly when the same day they start incarcerating people who kill people while TEXTING! The number one killer of kids in America is traffic accidents, the number one cause of traffic accidents is “distraction in the vehicle”. Wanna guess what the number one “distraction ” is???? Anyone??

19 Jim Shoes April 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM

How did she even manage that. It’s not as though that entry is facing a parking lot.

20 Chester E. Kitty April 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Oh my … so glad there weren’t more injuries! That place is usually packed around Easter time. I guess she thought the huge walkway was the driveway. I hate to say it but I hope her family takes away her license. It’s time.

21 Antler April 18, 2014 at 4:47 PM

#19….. You and I have the same reaction to this most unfortunate incident. There is not a parking space in front of the store’s doors!
Wish we could learn about the driver’s statement to the police.

22 I'm The Urban Spaceman April 18, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I hope she’s okay.
Looking at Google Satellite, her car must’ve been narrow enough to stay between the rails on the walkway, but she missed a great opportunity to take out the hydrant on the corner where she entered the walkway.

23 Jess April 18, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Channel 7 is reporting that two cars collided when one was attempting a left turn. That sent one of the cars careening into the store.

24 Incoming April 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Quite possibly all these incidents
are elderly people totally fed up
all the negativity about them driving.
In the last 30 days, how many of the
accidents posted here were caused
by the elderly? I will bet they are no
greater than their percentage of
the population. You have much
more to fear from an experienced
teenage driver or someone texting
or using their cellphone. And, you
don’t hear anyone suggesting
teenagers get tested more often.
Simple and obvious age discrimination!

25 Rose Garden April 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I hope she’s okay, and thankfully no life threatening injuries.

26 The elderly female driver...??? April 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Rachel Dunn…???

27 Cal Old Blue April 18, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Was her name “Rachel” by any chance?

28 Love See's April 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I would much rather be on the road with the elderly than all those texting or chatting on their phones ! SLOW DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION, EVERYONE ! Happy Easter !

29 Jedi Marien April 18, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I watched the whole thing happen in front of me as I was in the truck directly behind the blue car. Yes the driver was an elderly lady. The whole time she was worried about the safety of the other people that were involved and the people in the store. After speaking with the officers and finding out that this is an intersection that has alot of acciedents. Of course it probably didnt help that she was trying to see around the Contra Costa Community bus. It seems like this wasnt the first acciedent at the Intersection and there will be more to come. So, please watch out when driving.Thank goodness everbody was okay.

30 HEY EVERYBODY!! April 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM

LET’S ALL BASH ELDERLY DRIVERS NOW! It’s CLAYCORD, we BASH EVERYONE!!

31 Dr. Doc, PHD April 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Suspend that driver’s license… NOW.

32 Brinke April 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM

@#15: ”did she get a sample?’

comment of the day.

33 Whatever April 19, 2014 at 3:14 AM

Whoever posts the pictures on this site, you should blur out/black out license plate numbers.

34 crazy April 19, 2014 at 4:41 AM

The crazy thing is I drove by this evening and the door of the store is about 30+ feet from the corner with a walkway with railings on either side, and two brick pillars on either side of the door and they all looked completely untouched. That is a significantly far way to go in a strait path without being able to step on the break. The driver had to be lined up perfectly from the corner.

35 G April 20, 2014 at 4:40 PM

@ #’s 18, 22, 25

Why do we have to ignore or overlook the fact that elderly drivers can be a major hazard on the road (and in parking lots) because there are other types of drivers or driving habits that are “more dangerous.” That’s asinine! That’s like saying that because heart disease is the number one disease that kills people we should stop trying to find a cure for cancer.