UPDATE: Vehicle Crashes into See’s Candies in Pleasant Hill

April 18, 2014 17:06 pm · 45 comments

seescandy1

A car plowed into a crowded candy store in Pleasant Hill this afternoon but did not cause any serious injuries, a police sergeant said.

Around 3:15 p.m., two cars at the intersection of Contra Costa Blvd. and Alan Drive collided, sending one car up the walkway and into the front of the See’s Candies store, located at 1005 Contra Costa Blvd., Sgt. Scott Vermillion said.

Approximately 30 customers and workers inside the store were unharmed except for a few complaints of pain, the sergeant said.

Vermillion said it was “very lucky” that no one was injured inside the store crowded with shoppers stocking up for the Easter holiday.

He said he did not know when the store would reopen since it sustained major damage to its front entryway.

A preliminary investigation showed that neither drugs, alcohol or speed appear to have been factors in the crash, the sergeant said.

BIG thanks to Peter Borden for the picture!

1 Dorothy April 18, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Wow, and 30 people not seriously hurt is maybe the best news of the day!

2 SF CityGirl April 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Just old age, maybe??

3 funny man April 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM

hmm.. nothing funny about this! my pops goes there all the time to buy mom candies
people are just crazy drivers… isnt that store about 10 meters away from the main roadway??
i went to the bank right up contra costa earlier and dam ppl were driving like maniacs and traffic was backed up, blocking intersections and all with all the impatient drivers not waiting at red lites

4 FRANCIS BARKER April 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM

WTF? I live like one block away on viking drive.

5 Jerk April 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM

That’s where the Road is being worked on and one lane is closed.
NOTE to City of Pleasant Hill – DO THE WORK AT NIGHT!!!
Stop acting like BART!

6 So . . . April 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM

No excuses then. Glad all are ok, and no
candies were injured.

7 DoReMi April 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I drove by there after the crash and could not believe what I saw. I wanted to buy some chocolates for Easter. I guess I will have to find a store tomorrow en route. No one was hurt so that was good news.

Sheesh! It took me 10 minutes to get over that one. So weird to see a car perfectly centered in the doorway.

8 concord April 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM

they should rename “good friday” to “bad driving friday” — it was horrible on 4/242/680 today. People going 90 mph mixing with people going 45 mph and looking at themselves in the mirror or texting. Recipe for disaster. Don’t see one CHP all the way from Antioch to Walnut Creek.

9 spraythenaim April 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM

That’s not a Prius. was the other car a Prius? It doesn’t matter Prius drivers suck. It is not always safer to drive slower and without regard for other people on the road. Its actually dangerous. I have seen more Prius involved crashes than any other car.

10 mutts April 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Sometimes median shrubs are too high, I see that a lot.

11 VikingPrincess April 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Thor’s Hammer! PH off of CoCo Blvd has been busy today. Sad as it might be, they may think of adding a concrete filled pole to stop that from happening again…of course unless it causes issues with w/c access

12 Anonymee April 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Oh no! I LOVE that store, I was just there a few weeks ago (I have a weakness—nay, an addiction—for cafe latte ‘Lil Pops). I’m so glad everyone’s okay, they’re good people that work there. I look forward to returning soon for more ‘Lil Pops—and the free sample, of course.

13 sigh... April 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Maybe if you people would read the article you would see that the car was hit making it crash into the store. That does not mean it was due to Toyota drivers are all “suck”. So much ignorance in these people.

14 Vicki April 18, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Wow, I was in this store yesterday afternoon around the same time. Glad I did my Easter shopping yesterday!

15 Rose April 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Yes, time for old folks bashing. Confiscate the driver’s license immediately!

16 what an idiot!! April 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

How idiotic is that!

17 concord April 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM

what a way to get a sample.

18 hometowngirl April 18, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Notorious intersection for accidents. Local schools, DVC and regular traffic cause the two left turn lanes onto Willow Pass from Contra Costa to back up daily about that time. When making a left turn at Alan, where See’s Candy is, you have to creep through two lanes of stopped traffic in order to see traffic going through on Contra Costa. That, coupled with cars impatient with the backup swinging around stopped cars make that turn a harrowing experience at times.

19 Bow Wow Wow April 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM

“I iiiiiiiiii Want Candy!”

20 Mr. John April 18, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Not drugs, not alcohol, not speed – that leaves distracted (cell phone?), incapable, or intentional.

21 Chester E. Kitty April 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM

So glad no one was hurt! Hopefully See’s insurance pays for their lost business because I know tomorrow would have been one of their busiest days of the year!

22 anon April 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM

well, if you’re going to get hit by another car, is there any better place to end up?
and what’s going to happen to all those chockey’s in the viewing case? They’ve been exposed to who knows what now. I hope they don’t end up discarded though. They don’t deserve and end like that.

23 Walnut Creek Resident April 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM

That is terrible, and I like number 23 hopes the insurance covers all the lost business. How in the world do people drive like this?

24 Reality Slap April 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Would be great if Sunvalley would allow See’s to set-up a parking lot sale in the lot across from where the See’s store is….you know….one business helping another….besides that parking lot is never full….and we need our candy!

25 gg April 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Wow, a miracle for sure that no one was seriously hurt.

26 karma April 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM

move on gawkers, it was an accident!

27 mika April 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I saw on the news an elderly, white haired woman being taken away by paramedics from the car that landed in the store.

28 furian April 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Was Rachel Dunn the driver?

29 furian April 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Never mind, I see the same lame Rachel Dunn joke was made in the other thread.

I’ll be over therem in the corner, if anyone needs me.

Hahaha

30 Safety Second April 18, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Prius and Camery drivers are the worst

31 SF CityGirl April 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM

@#5 I agree 110%. In addition I don’t care what the article says about being hit by another car, because film what I can see there is no proof of that on the back or driver side, which is the only possible side of an impact that can cause this car to go into the candy store. There you’re, welcome.

32 Suzanne April 19, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Thank god no one was hurt. Going off line with this.

33 crazy April 19, 2014 at 4:36 AM

The crazy thing is I drove by this evening and the door of the store is about 30+ feet from the corner with a walkway with railings on either side, and two brick pillars on either side of the door and they all looked completely untouched. That is a significantly far way to go in a strait path without being able to step on the break. The driver had to be lined up perfectly from the corner.

34 Maia April 19, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Number one thankfully no one was seriously hurt or even worse considering it such a busy time for See’s. The other unfortunate aspect is that the workers will be w/o pay while the damages are assessed and repairs are made. Some may be okay with the time off, but others need that income to make ends meet. Hopefully they will have the option to work at other locations in the meantime if they want to.

35 jb April 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I agree with people on thank goodness no one was hurt seriously…except driver was shaken up…hope she is ok now…..but such a loss to those that work there…without pay for a while is a hardship..Easter is a busy
day…I was to go there yesterday…but got there to late…now will get my sees at the seniors club…they sell sees candy there…cannot be without my sees….wonder when it will open again….

People need to slow down…most drive way to fast these days…scary..all in a big hurry to what save a few minutes…not worth it to hurt people…slow down people…there is always time unless you are stupid
and cause this kind of accident or worse….maybe you next time….Happy
Easter to all…

36 anon April 19, 2014 at 11:10 AM

‘I’M HAVE PMS AND I’M OUT OF CHOCOLATE’

37 anon April 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Hope he or she has insurance. Covering the losses the store incurs at this time of year is not going to be pretty.

38 anon April 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM

No skid marks in the picture in the first article. Slow reaction.

39 Ricardoh April 19, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I saw no skid marks on the walk leading to the store. Time to give up license.

40 Jedi Marien April 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM

There were no skid marks because the car was moving at a slow rate of speed. I saw it all happen. It was just an accident. No one was texting or on the phone. Mary the driver that was trying to start a drive thru. Lol. was pretty shaken up. I had to put the car in park and turn off the motor. Mary was only worried about others more than her self. It was a only an accident of about 25 mph. Thats why there was no skid marks. Both ladys involved are ok. No serious injuries. Be aware of your suroundings. Drive safe everyone. Thank you

41 Walnut Creek Resident April 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

That beautiful business ruined by a person who probably was too old to drive.
Makes me sick. She could have killed someone.

42 Aspirin April 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Did the driver get a free sample?

43 Lorelei April 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I saw no mention of the ages of the drivers, but the one on the stretcher looked “elderly.” If the DMV would road test drivers over 70, there would be fewer of them behind the wheel. Not all people age the same way and may “elderly” drivers are dangers to themselves and others………Oh yeah; and I’m over 65…..

44 Walnut Creek Resident April 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Yes my 90 year old Dad had his license until he drove on a golf cart road thinking it was a normal highway and then proceeded to crash into a rock bridge and that very day my dear Mother, had a heart to heart talk and told no more. He could have killed someone. He gave the keys to her. The thing to me is he should of had a test before he made that critical error. So I am sure by the time I reach that age their will be more incidents like this and legislation will insure we no longer have these dear seniors crashing into buildings and people using the wrong pedal!! Or going threw red lights etc. Yes I am a dear senior too!! Ha Ha So I better be watchful of my skill set when it comes to getting into a car!!

45 Crazy April 21, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Wow. I am so glad that no one was seriously hurt. I hope See’s opens again soon. This place has been there forever. I remember going there as a little kid with my parents to get Christmas candy to ship to my family.