Armed Robbery at Parrot Wireless on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill

April 16, 2014 8:00 am · 34 comments

Pleasant Hill Police are investigating an armed robbery at the Parrot Wireless store, located at 1300 Contra Costa Blvd.

The crime occurred just before 7pm on Tuesday night.

While responding to the robbery, an officer attempted to stop a suspicious vehicle in the area and a pursuit ensued.

The pursuit was terminated due to an elevated risk to public safety after the suspect began driving erratically and collided with another vehicle on 680.

A weapon used in the robbery was recovered, police said.

The suspect is described as a black male adult in his late 20s with a stocky build. No vehicle description was provided by the Pleasant Hill Police.

{ 34 comments }

1 Josh T April 16, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I don’t understand people robbing these cell phone stores lately…. its not like they have much cash on hand (i wouldn’t think?). Do they just grab a bunch of cell phones?

2 Not a fan of stopping pursuit April 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Sent the wrong message. Run hard and you get away. Puts more people at risk in the future.

ALL culpability rests with the criminal who runs. Period.

3 Hmm.... April 16, 2014 at 9:05 AM

…sounds familiar.

4 underwood April 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Where I am from it was copper theives going after power-lines, here it seems to be cell snatching. I guess if you can root/jail-break a phone you can sell it to people who will take it to a provider for service. Pretty risky for the seller but profitable.

5 I think... April 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM

this is a “crew”, as they’re called, working our
area. Phone stores, jewelry stores, and such.
I also think it will get worse as the lower earning
persons are pushed out of cities by ” gentrification “.
I am not a pessimist by nature, but am aware of
the erosion of opportunities.
There is a dramatic demographic shift occurring
across the Country. We will not be lucky enough
to escape the side effects( crime, homelessness
etc.) here in the burbs, we are the target of their
anger.

6 underwood April 16, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Or, I think swapping the SIM into the unlocked phone from your active phone will transfer service.

7 FYI April 16, 2014 at 9:39 AM

If you have a smart phone there is a way to prevent the phone from being used by a thief. Press *#06#. Write down the 15 digit serial number. Call your carrier, report number and if someone tries to use it or reactivate it they won’t be able to. You’ll have to suck up the loss of the phone but at least no one else can use it.

8 Magic Mike April 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Pleasant hill is sure having a lot of problems lately. Always seems to be the same type of people making the crimes. Just saying.

9 KenInConcord April 16, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I would think phones are trackable, what’s wrong with people. What do they say. “Great score I got 75 cases for my IPhone and three non-working displays.!!!”

10 Michelle April 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I think Clayton has a lot of crime–just look at the Clayton police log, totally out of control.

11 I live near here April 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM

At the very least maybe they finally caught one if he was the one robbing all the stores in this area or a a person related to something bigger and he will cry like a baby not to take all the heat! Either way one bites the dust!

12 Concordejet April 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM

FYI

Brilliant ideal for tracking phone by creating a 15 serial number all you need to make up your own serial and if phone get stolen you can report it stolen to your provider AND provide your own serial number you created to the provider? How did you know how to fix your phone with your own serial number?

It probably the same black male that had rob the Veriozn phone store and it was in Pleasant Hill.

Shame that guy is going to get caught soon

13 Vanessa April 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Aren’t all of the newer phones trackable anyway? Why doesn’t someone track them.

14 jlin April 16, 2014 at 10:46 AM

maybe check out the flea market on sunday … tons of “vendors” selling iPhones ….

15 Chronic Halitosis April 16, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Why no description of the Vehicle? I thought on ramps, off ramps, and signal lights have traffic cams?

16 Darwin April 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM

@5
I THINK you can do anything you want in this country with an education and command of the english launguage. Anyone can get an education, it is called student loans.

I THINK weak people look for excuses and commit crimes. There in no more delayed gratification. No one wants to work for anything. The homeless people are actually drug addicts (99%).

17 Concordejet April 16, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Chronic Halitosis

I know what up without any description of the getaway vehicle?

18 FYI April 16, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Concordejet, Ha wish I could take the credit for being a genius. There was an article a while back on line that had tips for smart phone users. I tried to find the website but no luck.

19 I know... April 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM

@Darwin, kind sir, this may be a reality(?) for
you, as it is for myself, but one only needs to
take a shallow look at our success educating
and realize that schools, parents, corporations
have not kept pace with our societies progress.
It is unreasonable to expect every one can
achieve a college education. And to say this is
the only thing that can get you a living is elitist
at best.
As Darwin stated regarding survival of the fittest
requires severe actions to succeed. These crimes
are survival tactics in a reality where getting a
job that can pay the rent alone is almost impossible
for many. You can deny it if you want, but soon
you will come to understand the ones who have
been first, will soon be last , our times are surely
changing,
So like most posters here, keep denying
the things going on around you and their causes,
and it will be to late .

20 Orphan Annie April 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Pleasant Hill seems like a sleepy town, but they have a good Police Department and plenty of gun toters so cell snatchers beware!

21 Jack Cooper April 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I was at the intersection of Willow Pass Rd and Market St. Heard the sirens and saw a police car chasing a 1999 Mercedes 320/350M SUV. It took a hard, high-speed turn onto Market headed to 242 with police in pursuit. They were flying. Checking my scanner app used for traffic and fire ( I live in Clayton and its’ good to know about fires) and learned using the CHP app that the SUV driver through something, a gun maybe out the window at Monument Blvd. It is dangerous to continue the chase. We complain if we don’t catch them, we’d really complain if an innocent bystander was hurt or killed resulting in a lawsuit against more parties than we could count. The police probably at least know who owned the vehicle.

22 oak grove posse April 16, 2014 at 1:19 PM

It’s too bad cops usually aren’t allowed to shoot out the tires. Especially if the pursuit is already dangerous. Good to know that if I’m getting chased by cops I just have to hit a car on the freeway when the commute traffic is almost done.

23 Darwin April 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM

#19
I KNOW when I am hearing excuses. For the record, I am not in denial. The dumbing down of society has started, and with todays welfare system the lazy who choose to be uneducated will grow in mass numbers. The people who pay taxes into the welfare system is getting smaller and smaller and unfortunatly (sp?) it will collapse. There are jobs to be had, look at the emplyment section of any news paper. You are what I call an enabler, just giving them excuses :) You can do anything in this country with a WORK ETHIC. There are tons of jobs, just look at the market for class “A” truck drivers…

24 Concordejet April 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM

FYI

same thing here tried to google up what you said *#06# but no luck either I will keep on trying thank you for the head up

25 Larry Miller April 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Call me crazy, but does anyone see a growing and continuing trend here?

26 Elwood April 16, 2014 at 2:00 PM

@ I know…#19

Some people have a learning disability. It’s called stupid.

27 Darwin April 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM

#26 Elwood
Well said :) Unfortunately you can’t fix stupid :)

28 Suzanne April 16, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Snort…

29 Craig Cannon April 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I’m Hearing Pleasant Hill Undercovers are in Antioch, Got in a Chase with a Robbery Suspect on a Motorcycle. It Crashed. This is Per Antioch Radio, so I Guess We Might Get The Public Version in an Official Release. Maybe Connected to These? Don’t Know. Let us know Mayor!

30 You aren't ... April 16, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Darwin,Elwood, take some time to think about
what I wrote, and think of what you are saying.
I am not making excuses for crime or criminals.
But because you refuse to think out side of your
own dogma, I’ve been reading your posts ,
I am suggesting you don’t understand current
socioeconomic trends.
The dumbing down isn’t a recent phenomenon.
I went to the richest and worst school systems
in the country, LAUSD, Los Angeles in the mid to
late 60′s. this state in particular has been one
of the worst performing for decades.
As for crime, it is now regarded by many young
people to be a form of political action.
Do some objective reading outside the right wing
propaganda, and you will understand a little
better as to why it will get worse.
I am not suggesting left wing propaganda either.

31 PO'd April 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM

#5 I THINK-you have succinctly described the exodus from the inner city by Blacks because of gentrification and gang activity. The Black population in Oakland has decreased to 27%, down from a high of 47%. Alot are moving to East CC County as section 8 recipients, and the problems come with that exodus. Welcome to WAY EAST Oakland.
I’m sure Dr King would be appalled to see the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights bill end up like this.
For those thinking there is a technical solution in the actual cell phone, let’s not be naive.The emphasis will switch to something else easier.

32 Darwin April 16, 2014 at 4:54 PM

#30
I think you are out of touch. The crime these people are comitting is not for political action, it is for personal gain. Most are self inflicted drug addicts who have been breeding at an alarming rate and subsidize their GA with crime. These people have had all the opportunities every one else has and choose to fail. You are right that it is only going to get worse.

As for objective reading know the population you are speaking of. Visit the homeless shelter or the jails, then see if you “dogma” changes. Once again, open the paper and look at the job want adds. These people do not want to work. It is easier to steal identities and run up thousands of dollars in identity theft and only be caught for one incident. It is all about risk vs. reward a “criminal” once told me. She said she ran up $75,000 (multiple victims) in identity theft and got caught for a fraction of it. She was sentenced to a year in county jail and got out with half time credit. Once again know your population, this is 99% of the criminals.

33 mika April 16, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Same black guy who robbed the Verizon store last week in pleasant hill?

34 Craig Cannon April 17, 2014 at 12:27 AM

PHPD Did Take a Suspect into custody, after a Chase on Hillcrest in Antioch. It is ALLEGEDLY The Phone Robber. I had a TV Cameraman Ally On The Scene. The PD Allegedly Confirmed in Antioch The Arrest was Connected to Pleasant Hill Robbery. The Man who was Riding a MC At The Time, was injured. He Supposedly Had Road Rash, and Other Non-Life Threatening Injuries. A Public Release is Coming. :)