UPDATE: Two Separate Crashes in Concord Caused by Red Light Runners

April 15, 2014 · 24 comments

Two separate vehicle collisions occurred within a block of each other as a result of drivers running red lights in the vicinity of Galindo Street in downtown Concord on Monday, a police lieutenant said.

At 3:52 p.m. a collision was reported at the intersection of Galindo Street and Concord Boulevard, Concord police Lt. Darrell Graham said.

The driver of a Nissan Frontier pickup truck ran a red light and crashed into a vehicle traveling through the intersection, Graham said.

The lieutenant said that the at-fault driver was transported to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries and was cooperative with the investigation.

Less than an hour later, at 4:37 p.m., about one block away, a “completely unrelated” collision occurred, Graham said.

The driver of a white Chevrolet sedan ran a red light at Galindo Street and Willow Pass and struck a vehicle traveling through the intersection, according to the lieutenant.

Graham said that the at-fault driver in this crash also sustained minor injuries and was cooperative with the police investigation.

The collisions remain under investigation and both at-fault drivers may be cited for running red lights, Graham said.

SEE PHOTOS OF THE CRASHES:

1 The obvious results of April 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM

a “me first” society.

Foolish people, foolish results. No excuses are acceptable.

2 Gus April 15, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I hope the red light runners get sued into homelessness.

3 anonanonagain April 15, 2014 at 5:51 PM

There are so many red light “runners” these days. These people are so brazen and could give a damn about their actions. This morning in fact I saw a big rig run a red light. They must have the attitude that people will just have to avoid THEM. They are selfish, despicable @$$ wipes who obviously do not realize the gravity of their stupidity……

4 Dorothy April 15, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Even if you count to 3 before going on a green light, you are not safe from red light runners.

5 TinFoiler April 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Didn’t see that one coming!
Actually, drive around with your eyes open and you’ll see this happening everywhere.

6 typical concord resident April 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Too bad both the red-light runners only sustained “minor” injuries instead of helpfully removing themselves from this planet.

7 Anonymous April 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Here’s another dangerous situation:

A Guarda armored car completely blocking the right lane on Willow Pass in front of B of A. Driver was messing around in the back of the truck. This was about 130 today. Had traffic completely screwed up. I was hoping CPD would come by when voila, one did! He drove around the illegally parked vehicle and went into the bank.

Heres a tip to the Officer: There is no exemption for armored cars to block lanes.. none. Its as if I decided that I owned half of E/B Willow Pass and just stopped there.

8 Peanut Gallery April 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Nobody want to follow the rules….life is pretty simple…
Do the right thing!

9 Jack 123 April 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM

“People have forgotten or are ignoring the basics of what it takes to be civilized.”

That would be ignore–just like the M/C riders who cut you off/split lanes at 60+ MPH, (with license plates hidden) loud pipes, etc.,etc. – the rest of the citizens be dammed, the laws be dammed, they will do whatever they want.

The fact the “violators” got hurt is curbstone justice (old cop phrase for doing something illegal & getting hurt because of their actions..too bad, so sad.

10 anon April 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM

One of these days a pedestrian or bike rider will bd run over in that area.

11 Jack 123 April 15, 2014 at 7:56 PM

“One of these days a pedestrian or bike rider will bd run over in that area.”

YUP – that will happen…you take your life in your hands when you leave your home.

12 Mamatosix April 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I see it EVERY morning when I take my kids to school. The intersection of Clayton and Ayers is so dangerous. It makes letting the kids go riding on their bikes so stressful.
WTH makes their being late our problem?

13 Esperanza and N. 6th... April 15, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Intersection in question:

…since we’re calling out red light runners, I hope the c*nts who enjoy regularly running the stop sign at this intersection are reading this. I’ve had the same SUV with the same 2 chicks run this stop sign on me 3 times. Traveling from Port Chicago to Bonifacio. No California stop. No slow roll. No just stopping then cutting in line to go. Drive straight through at normal driving speed, one time speeding up to beat me crossing, with stupid grins on their faces.

Either I am incredibly lucky to have you do it to me 3 times, or you do it all the time and I’m not the only one to witness it.

Cut it out. There are a good chunk of people who utilize the intersections, not counting those that walk it at all hours of the day, including kids. Stop your entitled BS before you dumb *sses t-bone another vehicle or you wind up side swiped and parking your car on a pedestrian.

14 Bill Houston April 15, 2014 at 8:54 PM

The driving is diplorable in this city, you take your life in your hands each time out!

15 checkitout April 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I see this EVERY morning at Treat & Bancroft. It makes me sick to think that people run these lights with no regard for everyone else around them who would likely be killed if they do collide with another car. I wrote the police chief in WC and he said they no longer have a traffic dept. WHAT?! How moronic is that??? They won’t be happy until someone dies. Hopefully its not a car full of kids. Slow down people and obey the rules, you are not special!

16 Atticus Thraxx April 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Everyone relax. A couple of accidents and you guys make it sound like its all ‘Mad Max’s out there. Your scaring the kids.If you consider the number of distracted, impaired, and incompetent drivers on the road folks here do a pretty good job not bashing into each other. Me…diamond in the back, sunroof on top, digging the scene with a gangster lean.

17 Anon April 15, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I got stuck in traffic behind that armored car, too. Never saw Concord PD , but it sure screwed up traffic

18 Me April 15, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Esperanza,
Did you really need to use that word?

19 #18 April 15, 2014 at 10:32 PM

The answer is yes, it really does call for that word. Probably a handful more as well.

Please don’t adopt the sanctimonious and low brow habit of hanging on someone’s word use when the context of something more important is being discussed.

20 Connie Dobbs April 15, 2014 at 11:14 PM

#18 Well, it does denote the location where two streets intersect….

21 No love for red light runners April 16, 2014 at 4:45 AM

I was nearly killed years ago by a red light runner (I ended up needing surgery to fix multiple broken bones and was unable to work for four months while I recovered), so I have absolutely no sympathy for red light runners. And I NEVER run red lights.

22 Russ April 16, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Agree with Atticus. Lets all take a chill pill…………
Drive defensively and stay off your phone……..

23 ale April 16, 2014 at 8:09 AM

I used to live in some of those downtown apartments. We saw accidents from our balcony at least once a week.

24 Jack 123 April 16, 2014 at 8:31 AM

” I wrote the police chief in WC and he said they no longer have a traffic dept.”

The old one stopped the M/C cops– but all the car cops have ticket books. The old one got his 90% & retired – the new one is putting them out there soon. The WC city budget is a joke–look it up. They have no clue how to runa city.