Vehicle Burglary in the Montecito Parking Lot at Lime Ridge in Concord

April 14, 2014 · 16 comments

ALWAYS keep your doors locked, and keep anything valuable out of sight if you’re leaving your vehicle alone.

A Claycordian learned a tough lesson today while hiking in Lime Ridge….

Hi Claycord. Today I decided to take a walk in Lime Ridge. I parked my car in the Lime Ridge parking lot at Montecito and when I came back, my door was wide open. Nothing was broken, so I’m guessing I left it unlocked, which I take full responsibility for. Anyway, a few things of little value were stolen. Just wanted to let you know that the creeps are still out lurking and waiting for the right opportunity to pounce.

I called the Concord Police but was told I need to make an online report.

Sorry to hear about the burglary, and thanks for the email.

Claycordians, if you’re parking in the Lime Ridge lot at Montecito or the lot on Treat Blvd., always use caution. This isn’t the first time, and it definitely won’t be the last time a criminal breaks into a vehicle.

For future reference, HERE is the link to the City of Concord’s online report page.

1 Anon April 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM

A former cop told me once– trust no one, leave anything valuable at home, lock your car, get a car alarm, trust no one.

Words to live by.

2 Anon777 April 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM

The cops should just park there in an undercover car. They could catch a criminal every single day.

3 Shelly April 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Thanks for letting us know.

4 Clayton Squirrel April 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM

A friend leaves her convertible unlocked because there is nothing of value inside and it is very expensive to replace the soft top when people knife their way through it to find nothing. Very sad. Maybe this poster saved themselves a broken window. I see broken glass in the parking lot there every time I hike from the Montecito lot.

5 . April 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

“Nothing was broken”
Well there you have it, … even with a car alarm odds are they’d still break a window of a locked vehicle.

Criminals committing property crimes, breaking into residences, businesses and vehicles, know they will do little to no time if caught due to Feckless democrats in state legislature passing AB-109 back in 2011.

Besides automatically cutting sentences in half on over 500 crimes, under AB-109 Felons who used to go to State Prisons now serve their multi year sentences in county jails. Since multi year Felons can’t be let go, early release of misdemeanor property criminals due to jail overcrowding is the only alternative.

Be sure to Thank both Bonilla and DeSaulnier for voting for AB-109.

This democrat controlled state has turned misdemeanor criminal deterrence by threat of incarceration into a, low risk, farcical joke.

6 Dont Lock It April 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

As a frequent open space user and after seeing my friends truck window bashed in to get the nothng inside I make sure I have no valuables and leave a window down.

7 Me April 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I don’t feel comfortable not locking it but yes, it probably is smart…as long as you leave all valuables out. My cousin once had a convertible. Someone slashed through the top and stole the radio. He decided not to replace or fix anything and always left it unlocked. Someone was dumb enough not to actually look closely at the car or check the doors before slashing it again. We all had a good laugh at that one, imagine how the idiot felt when they found out the car was unlocked and already gutted inside.

8 Dont Lock It April 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Also black out your address on your registration

9 Lucy April 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM

my brothers car was broken into last night in Lafayette. It seems these window smashing idiots are all over the place….I would rather leave my windows down (and leave nothing inside, I’d put my registration/insurance card) in my backpack……rather not have to fix a broken window..they are obviously not stealing cars, just the items inside!!

10 Jules April 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM

It just amazes me how these creeps are always among us, laying in wait, there at the opportune time to commit their crimes. Just amazes me. They come out of nowhere it seems. They get your car idling in the driveway, your laptop while in a coffee shop, your phone while at a coffee shop, your gas out of your tank, your belongings if you don’t have an alarm and a pit bull and black mamba guarding your things. What has happened to our society. I have these 10 year-old thug neighbors – it starts there and just gets worse. I’m at a loss.

11 Rose Garden April 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM

As most people already know, this is an ongoing problem at Lime Ridge.

Even if lock your vehicle, don’t leave any valuables, etc., they can still break your window. Steal your garage door opener, your registration, and now they’re in your garage.

I wouldn’t park there. But hikers have a right to park and hike wherever they want. Jut be cautious.

I wouldn’t leave my doors unlocked either. It’s against my better judgment to “let them in.”

Get these criminals off the street!

12 Not a burglary April 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Not a vehicle burglary if it was unlocked. Misdemeanor petty theft. Even if caught, nothing would happen to them. One thing to consider if you do decide not to lock your vehicle.

13 Sweet Polly April 14, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I live on the Clayton side but park on the WC side. It’s a pain but the broken auto glass is constant. Saturday morning I thought I’d park in the Montecito lot. Two patches of broken glass. No thanks. I know it would be harder than it sounds to do a police sting. Cameras would have to pointed at the right place at the right time to stand up in court, AND get a good face shot. Still, the percentage of cars being victimized is ridiculous. Tiny lot, lots of glass. Help us, Underdog!

14 @12 April 14, 2014 at 8:22 PM

You are correct. But interestingly, it’s still considered burglary if somebody enters your unlocked house and steals something. Only auto burglary requires an actual break-in.

15 Me April 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Early this morning, my son’s work van was broken into on Thornwood Drive. The robber took his work bag full of tools that were worth around $800.00. It is ridiculous that these thieves will steal right in front of your house. If anyone has seen suspicious activity in this area, I would sure like to know? My son is a hard working individual and it is pathetic that some worthless person is out there stealing from someone just trying to make a living for his wife and 7 month old son.

16 @me April 15, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I live near by, will definitely keep an eye out. Sorry that happened!